Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Rabbie burns

Tips tricks & help new grower.

55 posts in this topic

@mysticriver source large micron of choice screen off the Bay thing 2 artists canvas in frames from 99p to £1 shops remove canvas glue screen between the 2 frames then gently run your dry trim over it to collect the goodness. @Rabbie burns like I said I started with basic kit 10+ years ago, my current led light probably cost more than all the bulbs and ballasts combined that I've ever used, as you progress from grow to grow you'll have more of an understanding of what you and your plants need and change bits of your setup accordingly,  I would suggest though if a bit of kit catches your eye that costs say £100 look at what the £150 one does, welcome to the madness, research read read research some more read some more then most importantly DO, hands on is best way to learn ime, it will either work or it won't, and while I do agree that growing weed can be really sciencey and complicated, and some of the best smoke comes from that, but, you can also put a seed in a pot of mud give it some water and put a light over it :)

2 people like this

@Rabbie burns The thought occurs that one advantage of auto flowers  for a new grower is that your lights don't have to be quite so top-notch as for the photoperiod plants. As long as the plants get enough light each day, they should thrive. Because the lights tend to be on longer for autos throughout their lifespan (typically 18 or 20 hours per day) they don't need to be as powerful as the lights for photoperiod plants when in flower (usually 12 hours per day). So there might be a small saving in up-front cost of lights, but that will be cancelled out by the extra electricity costs over time...

Most growers would say get the best light you can, and if it's too powerful buy a dimmable light, or move it further away. That also works, but may come at a price either in purchase cost or electricity. Certainly a more powerful light will be essential for growing photo period plants. But you can get away with a somewhat less powerful one for autos, especially if you run them to a 20/4 schedule.

Just something to think about if set up costs are looking a bit steep. 

Edited by Crow River
1 person likes this

Here's a chart that sets out clearly the differences in DLI (daily light integral) based on the amount of light (PPFD) and how many hours the lights are on. As you can see, there's a big difference between lights on for 12 hours and 18 or 20. A light that would be fine for an auto (or vegging a photo) will be inadequate for a photo in flower.

large.DLI_chart_LEDTonic.png

Edited by Crow River

Thanks guys christ see to be honest I'm lost a bit I've been looking at ventilation now and I don't know weather to run the carbon filter outside or inside I've decided to get the Mars hydro 6inch digital controller fan kit and the Mars hydro ts1000 dimmable I'm only wanting to do mabye 2 or 3 in the space but what would be better I can't have the ducting going outside but I don't want the smell either can I put it outside my tent and have the 6inch fan inside would that deal with the smell so there's none? and still do the job of getting in fresh air and enough oxygen through the bottom flaps? my plan was to leave the window slightly open with the heating on so it regulates the temp inside the room I'm also going to get heat mats for them inside the tent 

On 1/11/2022 at 10:14 PM, Keye said:

Welcome to UK420 @Rabbie burns How much weed do you want to consume per month? Start there and work back, I always recommend!

Post pics, ask questions, read, grow better weed, rinse and repeat.

@Keye hi mate thanks to be honest i smoke alot that's the main reason I'm wanting to do my own id be happy with 4 to 5z off 2 or 3 anything above thats a bonus I'm constantly doing research I've got a couple of hydro meters coming to see what the temp is actually doing in here and I'll keep a record for a week hopefully there around the right mark so they grow decent no point in trying it if I can't get the temps to regulate what they should be in the room as what they would in the tent 

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, Crow River said:

Here's a chart that sets out clearly the differences in DLI (daily light integral) based on the amount of light (PPFD) and how many hours the lights are on. As you can see, there's a big difference between lights on for 12 hours and 18 or 20. A light that would be fine for an auto (or vegging a photo) will be inadequate for a photo in flower.

large.DLI_chart_LEDTonic.png

Nice one mate thanks how do you upload pictures on here I tried to at the beginning but must be missing the trick

1 person likes this

Sort of @Rabbie burns, but not quite. Not how much per plant. How much per month.... 

I always suggest, if people are serious about replacing purchasing of weed with their own, that you need to start with what your'e trying to achieve. Lots of people just put a seed in a pot to see what happens and normally, at some point, they have to rebuy the equipment to step up, but more importantly, it requires a step change in thought with more heat and exhaust etc. needed. But there's nothing more frustrating than pulling a few joints of your first plant, or maybe a couple of weeks of smoke. 

With one grow space, after harvest you've got to plant seeds and start again and you might be 5 months away from bud again. 

Two areas and the day you cut plants, you could be putting cuttings in and 3 months later smoking it. At which point your 3 crop will be ready.

Getting this timing good and right is imperative to ensure you don't run out of weed. 

If you need, say, 4oz per month, and each grow cycle takes 2 to 2.5 months to grow and a few weeks to dry before it's available, say 3 months, then you need 12oz per grow for some headroom so you can build those silly sized biftas without worrying.

So, think about output per grow cycle in your space, rather than per plant. Because you might find 2 plants going in every 2 weeks to a flowering chamber and 2 coming out every 2 weeks suits you better. May be one grow per year? DOn't discount it before doing the maths. You might have the space and time to just hit up one big grow per year, might suit your circumstances.

2 people like this

21 hours ago, Crow River said:

@Rabbie burns The thought occurs that one advantage of auto flowers  for a new grower is that your lights don't have to be quite so top-notch as for the photoperiod plants. As long as the plants get enough light each day, they should thrive. Because the lights tend to be on longer for autos throughout their lifespan (typically 18 or 20 hours per day) they don't need to be as powerful as the lights for photoperiod plants when in flower (usually 12 hours per day). So there might be a small saving in up-front cost of lights, but that will be cancelled out by the extra electricity costs over time...

Most growers would say get the best light you can, and if it's too powerful buy a dimmable light, or move it further away. That also works, but may come at a price either in purchase cost or electricity. Certainly a more powerful light will be essential for growing photo period plants. But you can get away with a somewhat less powerful one for autos, especially if you run them to a 20/4 schedule.

Just something to think about if set up costs are looking a bit steep. 

Spot on G thanks I'm going to get the dimmable light rather start of with a  half decent set up I want to try and get it good the first time around so I'm finding out as much info as I can on the strain I'm going to stick with autos just for the quickness and the smallness more discreet and I've seem people get some good results its somewhere to start I guess.

1 person likes this

@Keye I'm with you on planning for your level of requirements. Like you say, done right one grow per year might be all that's needed.

Edited by Crow River
1 person likes this

Ideal mate thanks alot that's exactly it there's so much to try and take on board it is bonkers then it's what's best and so on id prefer getting it right or atleast somewhat good stuff first time and the quality is all in the prep so I'll send a couple of quid for that its still going to be cheaper I worked it out last night mate and I nearly gave myself a heart attack I worked it out last night how much I spend a year now this is just being modest it usually more on the border at 2z a week but I worked it off 1 a week at the prices here for half decent stuff I was looking at over 8 grand at £180 for something like 46 47 weeks if my memory serves me I had knocked a few weeks off aswell as its not all the time that was for the year its sickening id rather spend that cash on my kids that that stuff especially if I can nail it growing I'm not doing it to punt just for myself after seeing those figures its a fucking necessity that's a holiday in the Bahamas every year that! 

2 people like this

Just now, Rabbie burns said:

Spot on G thanks I'm going to get the dimmable light rather start of with a  half decent set up I want to try and get it good the first time around so I'm finding out as much info as I can on the strain I'm going to stick with autos just for the quickness and the smallness more discreet and I've seem people get some good results its somewhere to start I guess.

Fair enough. Another beginner advantage to autos is they are not as fussy about light leaks. Haven't grown photos yet, mainly because I'm not convinced my space is completely light proof. They need absolute darkness for around 12 hours per day during flower or I understand there can be problems. Autos tolerate their "sleep" being interrupted more. Only problem is, as others have pointed out, due to the fixed lifespan if you do hit problems, e.g. overfeeding or a deficiency, there's not much time to fix things and turn it around.

1 person likes this

Just now, Crow River said:

Your tolerance must be well up there! :) Unless you're growing for more than one person. Honestly can't imagine using that much per month and still holding down gainful employment etc. But different strokes and all that, I do know some folk who prefer an energetic sativa to get them started in the mornings.

I'm with you though on planning for your level of requirements. Like you say, done right one grow per year might be all that's needed.

Yeah mate deffo but its the no having it that I'm sick of I've smoked it for years I was on 3 diffrent medications for my adhd at once made me feel like shit was off food didn't want to get out of bed the lot. Now I kicked the docs meds and done my own medication I feel alot better certainly don't feel like I did years ago but now I smoke alot as the years have gone on so if I can cut the cost down as thats where all my moneys is going near enough after bills on the house running 6 diffrent bikes road motocross kids have qauds aswell so it's an expensive life need to try and tighten the belt somewhere lol

1 person likes this

@Rabbie burns Absolutely mate. I have actually edited my comment because I was uncomfortable commenting on people's usage. Everyone is different. Medical need is a really good reason for growing your own. Best of luck with the grow when it starts. If it works for you, reckon you'll not go back to dealers. I know I haven't!

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Keye said:

Sort of @Rabbie burns, but not quite. Not how much per plant. How much per month.... 

I always suggest, if people are serious about replacing purchasing of weed with their own, that you need to start with what your'e trying to achieve. Lots of people just put a seed in a pot to see what happens and normally, at some point, they have to rebuy the equipment to step up, but more importantly, it requires a step change in thought with more heat and exhaust etc. needed. But there's nothing more frustrating than pulling a few joints of your first plant, or maybe a couple of weeks of smoke. 

With one grow space, after harvest you've got to plant seeds and start again and you might be 5 months away from bud again. 

Two areas and the day you cut plants, you could be putting cuttings in and 3 months later smoking it. At which point your 3 crop will be ready.

Getting this timing good and right is imperative to ensure you don't run out of weed. 

If you need, say, 4oz per month, and each grow cycle takes 2 to 2.5 months to grow and a few weeks to dry before it's available, say 3 months, then you need 12oz per grow for some headroom so you can build those silly sized biftas without worrying.

So, think about output per grow cycle in your space, rather than per plant. Because you might find 2 plants going in every 2 weeks to a flowering chamber and 2 coming out every 2 weeks suits you better. May be one grow per year? DOn't discount it before doing the maths. You might have the space and time to just hit up one big grow per year, might suit your circumstances.

@Keye thanks it is giving me some thought but I'm probably not as lucky as you lot on here I've got a Mrs that is already para lol but I think it's just because she thinks it going to be easily spotted hence the good filter and when I showed her how much we could save she seemed happy more money for her to go on shopping haha im found to probably do 3 plants and see what the outcome is ill just try to monitor everything as good as possible.

2 people like this

Just now, Crow River said:

@Rabbie burns Absolutely mate. I have actually edited my comment because I was uncomfortable commenting on people's usage. Everyone is different. Medical need is a really good reason for growing your own. Best of luck with the grow when it starts. If it works for you, reckon you'll not go back to dealers. I know I haven't!

Yeah fingers crossed it'll be a killer if it isn't but like everyone says on here all about the research and getting the environment right. I should've done it years ago to be honest my arse woukd be lined with diamonds by now thanks for the advice mate 

1 person likes this