Peat free compost

Killuminati7

Just started to use some but not for cannabis.....Its fucking weird gear tbh....will have to give me a few months to see how it does before I could recommend it.

• Like 3

I got a bag and it appears to have hair in it :unsure:

Dunno if it's uncomposted coco fibre or summat, but it looks and feels like hair, it's quite disturbing lol

• Like 7

Just now, Boojum said:

Dunno if it's uncomposted coco fibre or summat, but it looks and feels like hair, it's quite disturbing lol

Hair doesn't degrade all that quick . Maybe burn a piece and smell it ,burned hair has a distinctive smell . Or a bit like when you sniff a lit candle . 

• Like 6

I'm slowly working through a load of peat frees pH testing them so far I have this..

Melcourt sylvagrow 8.2 ph

Evergreen miracle gro peat free all purpose 6.0 ph 

Brontë heritage peat free multi purpose 7.2 ph

I've got some levingtons mtp with added j.i , Westland New horizon and a couple of growbags waiting for the forklifter at work to rip a bag :pitchfork:

:yinyang:

• Like 8

I use canna, pm supreme and biobizz wot ever I can get , but wanted to cut the cost abit if I can, seen loads of peat free in local garden centre cheap as fuck, spose u don’t get a lot of water retention without peat in it tho  :smokin:

• Like 1

I have given Westland's New Horizon a go and it was OK.  I am currently using the compost out of Big Tom grow bags, as B&M had them at £1 each and they were too cheap to ignore, TBH it is really nice stuff, not sure if it has Peat or not.

I am probably going to go with Tomorite Organic Peat Free grow bags, as I can get 2 for £10.  I use Tomorite fertilizer, so I might as well use their compost.

• Like 2

I've been using Dalefoot for a while now and its absolutely brilliant stuff, I can't see myself bothering with peat any more. Only a few years before we'll all have to go peat free so might as well start learning how to get the most out of it now. TBF most other brands have been a bit disappointing, very woody and inconsistent, Dalefoot shits all over the competitors I've tried. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 4

@Boojum Dalefoot is based on wool and bracken, hair is a good source of nitrogen apparently. I actually put a bit of my hair in my no till bed last time I shaved my head lol

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 4

On 4/2/2022 at 9:49 PM, Boojum said:

I got a bag and it appears to have hair in it

i used tropic mix for first time, its 40% coco,  so getting used to it.  but noticed the horse hairs flying about.  early days as ust transferred iffy pugs to fabric pots.  seems when top layer dries you get the odd donkey pube.   wait and see

New horizon ph's at bang on 7 (well this batch does) 

For my next trick levingtons peat free growbags are getting tested :yep:

• Like 3

On 02/04/2022 at 9:49 PM, Boojum said:

:yep:

In New Horizon there was a quantity of fiborous material that I took some time to rip up. Sieving did not cut it. It was a bit like a (dry) vegan Spagnum Moss substitute.

I have since been using Sylvagrow Peat Free. It seems to me (Multi-Purpose) Peat Free relies on woody content to aerate the substrate but it is not ideal for seedlings and logs need removing. I'd avoid added John Innes in future too, its crap. I add 10-15% perlite as well because Peat Free seems to hold water well. Thats OK for house plants you forget to water not ideal for a solid wet/dry cycle when power growing a crop.

Some Peat Free shamelessly admit adding wool (which is hair isn't it) & braken. In compost the future appears to be Peat Free due to forthcoming legislation. My quest for the perfect Peat Free continues.

Or I could just go Coir.

Onwards and sidways as usual.

Edited by Lux_Interior
aerate was actually spelt correctly.
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Lux_Interior said:

Some Peat Free shamelessly admit adding wool (which is hair isn't it) & braken

Dalefoot is wool and braken and its bloody good stuff, like I was saying above somewhere hair is apparently a good source of nitrogen. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

Why is it shamless to add wool and bracken. 

I add wool to my compost heap. Along with dog and cat hair. 

Good stuff

• Like 7

Bracken is pretty sustainable , I imagine properly composted it'd behave something similar to true sphagnum moss peat 

• Like 4