trying to understand ca/mg ratio correction

runninwivscissors

Hi all, making the move over to Coco and I'm struggling a bit with understanding the ca/mg ratio and how to correct it. I'm going to be using Shogun Coco a+b and calmag. My water has a ratio of 4:1 in favour of magnesium. Should I not worry and just use the cal mag to bring my tap water ec to 0.4 and just crack on? Or do I just add calcium? Any help is appreciated.

We need the absolute amounts to be able to help with the correction 👍

Atb

☯️

So you’re current ratio is actually 2.5:1 Ca:Mg which isn’t too bad.

Some mono Ca will be required to bring it to 3:1 👍

I’m not gonna attempt the calculations for the adjustment right now cause I’m a bit too high right now lol

I’ll pop back later when my heads back on my shoulders lol

Someone else can feel free to jump in :) 

Atb 

☯️

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the help mucker, appreciate ya.  Just for my info, will I still need to be adding the Shogun mg cal? Also for my own brain how did you get to 2.5 :1 with the figures I gave. I thought it was that 114 is 4x 286, I'm obviously wrong just wondering how it works. Maths is far from my strong suit.

Edited by runninwivscissors

286/114.53 = 2.497

I just rounded up from 2.497 to 2.5 👍

Actually I seem to recall @GSZZ mentioned a couple of times that the Shogun CaMg didn’t actually contain any Magnesium,

so it might be the right way to go.

What’s your growing method/medium?

Atb

☯️

Posted (edited)

Handfed Coco mate

Edited by runninwivscissors
  • Like 1

Sorry guys busy few days with work. I've ordered a new ec meter as I'm not 100% mine was working all that well. But initial reading was 1.0 ec seems a bit high to me.

If you got hard water you probably won't need to add any Calmag, a decent nutrient will have Magnesium in it in some form. I don't use coco but Ca deficiency is quite rare for me, not seen it in a couple of years and that was one cut. Also adding Calmag (intense) made absolutely no difference I found. Some people might need it but don't go worrying until you've come across the problem.

• Like 2

I use coco and canna nutes , my water is very hard so I use 4 parts rain water to 1 part tap water which leaves me a background ec of .1 I use leds mainly and don't use any cal mag I do have it but I don't add it and I don't have any issues

• Like 1

Alright guys, new blu lab truncheon arrived, my tap water at room temp is 0.6 ec.

That’s on the high side of things,

but I believe there’s a few growers on here with the same/similar water :) 

Your trick of mixing collected rain water and tap water to give a reading of EC 0.4 might be all you need to do now,

plus it’s free 👍

Try just adding your nutes to that(no Calcium or Magnesium) and see if you encounter any problems.

Atb

☯️

I don't have the means to collect rainwater

• Like 1