Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Isabellabuds2019

PH in the root zone!

36 posts in this topic

Hello all, hope everyone is well.

So, I was feeding my week 4 veg girls, and I thought I’d check the run off ph, now I know it’s going to drop a little however what would one do if it were to drop dramatically? For example I drop my ph down to 6 but will fluctuate between 5.8-6.2, when I checked it earlier it was 5.8 if I remember rightly, but last grow I remember it dropped down to low 4, can’t remember exactly but I was raising my ph in the feed to 7 or above to try and bring it up in the root zone / runoff! Is that the correct way to do it?

sorry for the essay but it’s been bugging me!

Thanks in advance.

Hi mate, assuming you are growing in soil, I wouldn't bother checking ph of run-off. I try to water with 6.5ph but anywhere between 6-6.5 is good.  6.5 is the sweet spot.  I would never check run-off ph.  From an over-thinker to you - I think you are over-thinking things!  

Many soil growers don't bother checking ph at all as they let the soil buffer the ph naturally. 

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Lancaster8 said:

Hi mate, assuming you are growing in soil, I wouldn't bother checking ph of run-off. I try to water with 6.5ph but anywhere between 6-6.5 is good.  6.5 is the sweet spot.  I would never check run-off ph.  From an over-thinker to you - I think you are over-thinking things!  

Many soil growers don't bother checking ph at all as they let the soil buffer the ph naturally. 

For the price of a ph pen its worth it just to check things.

ph of feed water mainly but I would check run off.

1 person likes this

It's a waste of time and money checking pH if growing in soil

7 people like this

If your running coco however the advice is very different :yep:

4 people like this

12 hours ago, Lancaster8 said:

Thanks for getting back to me.

The reason for checking the run off previously was because I had a problem and was trying to figure out what it was, I’m using biobizz allmix, and I was over feeding due to my cf wand not reading correctly, it was showing a lot lower than it should be and I hadn’t tested it, so was putting in more base nutrient.

I've probably grown thousands and thousands of plants in compost. 

I don't own a ph pen and never have. 

Does that tell you something? 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
12 people like this

1 minute ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Does that tell you something?

You don't know how to use one...?...:wassnnme:

TAXI !!  :rofl::rofl:

13 people like this

I also don't know how to fly a plane because I drive a car @stu914

8 people like this

If you do buy a ph pen, buy a decent one because those cheap yellow pens on eBay are useless.

4 minutes ago, Pau176 said:

If you do buy a ph pen, buy a decent one because those cheap yellow pens on eBay are useless.

Yeah thanks, I’ve had a blue lab one for years, never failed me! The blue lab cf pens are useless, not for everyone because they have really good reviews but I’ve been through about 4 of them giving false readings, keep sending them back after having tested at a shop! 

9 hours ago, Ergot said:

It's a waste of time and money checking pH if growing in soil

I agree and don’t check the PH of the soil myself, I used to think it was bad practice,  but plants seem to do fine in soil 

I say check your ph in soil.. its an important measurement across every type of plant, cannabis being no different.

You will get a crop without checking PH thats for sure but when you get the PH in range it is the cherry on top of a nice soil grow.

Edited by decentcriminal

Have you bought soil from a shop that needed the ph adjusting......ever @decentcriminal

1 hour ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Have you bought soil from a shop that needed the ph adjusting......ever @decentcriminal

No I always use biobizz all mix PH is already where it should be out the bag.

When i mix my nutes it is 5.8 PH.

It is very hard for soil to buffer PH up..

if you keep feeding your 6.3PH soil a 5.8PH solution of course your PH will be off.

I use a pinch of baking soda to get the nutrients up to 6.3PH.

for me it made a difference maybe you are a lucky one that has the correct PH naturally.

It is a ball ache to adjust PH, I would rather just mix and feed.