Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Comrade Stoker

Musical Instruments fucking rock

162 posts in this topic

Lake If you were going to buy a guitar for your 10 year old son who wants to learn to play what would you get, if you can be specific in terms of make i would be grateful

Just don't buy anything from Argos. It's tough man, I once bought a Japanese replica of a Hummingbird Gibson from a car boot for £20 and it was the best sounding and playing guitar I have ever owned and I currently have a couple of Japanese Strats, a few USA ones, a few Les Pauls, a few Martins etc. None of them compared to that.

Turner make good value for money guitars.

they make the seagull look good value for money as they seem to start at £334, looks like the recorder then

Dam fine insrtuments man.

I just wish i got stuck into music at school instead of waiting till i was 21 to pick any instrument up.

I played by ear on everything till January this year when I started taking piano lessons (And as of today cello too). I didn't really understand how music was put together before now. Its turned me into a right music snob though, I am critical of the very music I loved before I got my head around music. I have not listened to any Guns N Roses for ages, its all Roger Waters or classical at the minute lol

:rofl:

nice one Lake, good for you sir :yep:

Loads of good uns. I like epiphones.

Bought my son one at xmas. Was 300 but sounds fuckin sweet as.

Well better than my strat.

they make the seagull look good value for money as they seem to start at £334, looks like the recorder then

If you are a gambler, you can generally come up trumps with any late 1970's - mid 1980's Japanese acoustics. Type into eBay "MIJ acoustic"

MIJ meaning "Made in Japan"

Its pot luck but they are generally well made instruments, good materials, solid tops, well engineered and good sound. You might need a set up though which can cost you £80 alone.

Best acoustic i had i got for free. My first guitar too.

Washburn, Sweet sweet sound. Low action.

Sadly i rock n rolled it after a fallout with the missus. :wallbash:

Nice one mate. I got my hands full with a keyboard. I think I will just stick to piano. I also wish I had learned in school. We had a shit piano thouh. Sounded like a zoo was having a fight in there when you hit a chord. Teachers were lacking in the motivational dept too. I love it though. As soon as I got a house with the space im getting myself a nice piano to play.

Edited by Blayz'd
1 person likes this

Nice one mate. I got my hands full with a keyboard. I think I will just stick to piano. I also wish I had learned in school. We had a shit piano thouh. Sounded like a zoo was having a fight in there when you hit a chord. Teachers were lacking in the motivational dept too. I love it though. As soon as I got a house with the space im getting myself a nice piano to play.

I would love a proper piano. If I had lots of spare cash and the space then a grand piano and a few uprights would be top of my list (And a grow room)).

I got a cello today and also fixed up the big violin earlier this morning, it aint great but it will do. These are my playing instruments for the time being (+ an old Technics electric piano).

Just learning the scales on the cello at the moment, open string then 1,3,4 tones to go up scale then back to next open string. A semi tone under each finger I am reliably told.

post-40506-0-88779200-1311959061_thumb.jpg

post-40506-0-90829600-1311959071_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Sweet lookin stair case man.

Not a better sight than some fit posh bird with a giant instument between her legs.

Talkin about the cello :wassnnme:

Edited by rebelbhoy

Playing music is a beautiful thing, there isn't much that relaxes me more.

Nice tip on the MIJ's Lake. Is that a banjo I spy? :guitar: Always wanted to learn a chinese stringed instrument myself.

keep it up

Bill

:skin_up:

Edited by b.wild

Its a proper old Dallas B Model Banjo Ukulele. Its from late 1930's I think, its a George Formby branded one too. I just tuned it to D G B E as I could not be arsed learning the ukulele tuning way. Me missus bought me the banjo ukulele for Xmas a few year ago, I think she paid £80 but they are worth a good few hundred, its got the case and everything.

ive always wanted an electric violin similar to ed alleyne johnsons ..currently in the noir house we have 2 bass guitars ,one ive converted to be a fretless bass ,1 semi acoustic in the style of an ovation ,a les paul ,a kramer pacemaker with floyd rose pain in the arse tremelo a battered 30s acoustic ,an 80s roland synth ,a mephitos synth ,one pc dedicated to amps and recording ..harmonicas,kazoos ,spoons .washboard ..i always wanted to be a drummer can you tell ?

1 person likes this

If there is ever a uk420 party, I'm hoping for your rendition of "when I'm cleaning winders".

Wiki says Ukelele translates roughly as "jumping flea".

keep it up :guitar:

Bill

e2a: according to wiki; dgbe is for a baritone uke, try G C E A.

I played by ear on everything till January this year when I started taking piano lessons (And as of today cello too). I didn't really understand how music was put together before now. Its turned me into a right music snob though, I am critical of the very music I loved before I got my head around music. I have not listened to any Guns N Roses for ages, its all Roger Waters or classical at the minute lol

love old music stuff, have a look at this ..think its the only known decent footage of Django Reinhardt ...with Stéphane Grappelli on violin ...and django's brother and cousin ..all gypsies apart from Grappelli ...

things to look for ...Django's fretting hand was deformed in a fire..came come one night pissed and knocked a candle over setting his caravan on fire ..notice he doesn't really use those fingers ..which is really unusual for that type of playing .. basically playing with 2 fingers short ..and he was considered one of the best all-time guitarists ...also check out the fret run at 2:50 ..yeh rewind a few times to see exactly what he does there ...all the shredders just got owned lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzz6fAdFFis

2 people like this

2 people like this