Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

corky1968

Highland Thai And Kerala

147 posts in this topic
I heard you needed to veg sativas for 6 months to get the best results out of them and Indicas for 3. This holds true especially for seed making...

Just my 2 cents.

I've made seeds from indicas that were only vegged for 5 weeks a while back in 1998.

They were northern lights and I can tell you that I had 2 females that were less than

22 inches tall that each produced in excess of 1000 good striped coloured seeds. I

even tried to keep one from being pollinated and she produced the most. I think by

keeping her away from the male for a week made her more mature and receptive

to the pollen. It's amazing how pollen can get around.

I know that sativas are much more complicated than indicas. My goal is to produce "SOME"

seeds. I have read elsewhere on the Net of someone growing and flowering pure haze

and kept them real small. He only grew 2 plants. Lucky, for him he had 1 of each gender.

His female haze was only 40-45 cm tall at 92 days of age. He ended up getting only 194

pure haze seeds. I'm kind of using his info along with other info that I've read online.

I just want to be clear to everyone who read this that I'm looking to make some seeds.

I don't need 1000 seeds per female. I would be glad with 100 per female.

If you need proof that it can be done. Let me know I'll give you the link to the

info with pics that proves it can be done in a small way. No need to grow a bamboo

forest size plant. Which is what would happen if anyone grew then for a few months.

Once I have my new seeds, then I will be able to continue on my quest to create

a wicked breed that will change my life. Only I think it will take around over a year

of simple crossing the varieties that I already have.

Wish Me Luck.

Edited by corky1968

have you read the ultimate sativa grow guide? top notch advice for these types of sats

Am wishing you luck fella, I got some Highland Loas about 7ft tall now, don't ask :ninja: I'm loving my RSC strains so much fun to grow and a real test. I had a male Lebanese I collected some pollen from and tried brushing some of the sacks over the lower branches on a Mabombe monster but I was drunk at the time and my footing slipped and the pollen got spread unintentionally around a Loas & a Mabombe so I will be eager to find any seeds in any of my girls.

Your plans sound very interesting and you certainly sound like you've been doin your reading, please keep us updated as your two sativa crosses sound like a schmoke and a half. :bunny:

TBS

have you read the ultimate sativa grow guide? top notch advice for these types of sats

Yes, I've seen the ultimate sativa stuff.

Am wishing you luck fella, I got some Highland Loas about 7ft tall now, don't ask lol I'm loving my RSC strains so much fun to grow and a real test. I had a male Lebanese I collected some pollen from and tried brushing some of the sacks over the lower branches on a Mabombe monster but I was drunk at the time and my footing slipped and the pollen got spread unintentionally around a Loas & a Mabombe so I will be eager to find any seeds in any of my girls.

Your plans sound very interesting and you certainly sound like you've been doin your reading, please keep us updated as your two sativa crosses sound like a schmoke and a half. :stoned:

TBS

I can take a guess at why your plants are 7 feet tall:

1. Either you've given them too much fertilizer. Nitrogen will make big sativas.

2. You placed them in big pots too early.

This is something I found while searching on the Net.

HOW TO MANAGE SATIVAS INDOORS:

The trick to successfully growing 100% sativa indoors so that they yield more than a good hybrid

(ie compact with many many bud sites) is:

a. Never veg from seed - 12/12 from start to finish. This does not increase male rates in dramatically,

b. Never transplant the first time (upon showing sex) into a pot that is LARGER than 8 inches in diameter

(6 inches diameter pot is better for grows under 600W) - or they'll stretch to the moon.

c. Once they've finished stretching (5-6weeks after the first transplant), and NOT BEFORE, transplant into as

large a pot as possible for scrog type grow till finished. They'll then grow out and fill with compact noding,

even though they won't use all the new soil in the larger new pot that they've been put into(they won't finish

rootbound, but they'll finish with an excellent yield given their size). Also given that the plant will NOT

rootbound itself in this last pot, they breath well till harvest and fan leaves find it easier to remain green

even after the buds amber up. So beware of this...do not wait for yellowing fan leves as a sign of maturity if

using this method.

So the secret/trick to regulating the stretch of the 100% sativas is not vegging them at all from seed, but more

importantly, restricting their root system's growing volume from the beginning of stretch, till the end. After

that, transplant them into as big a volume of soil as you wish and NO further stretching occurs - so long as they

stay in flower. The larger the volume of soil that they have after their stretch has finished, the bigger the

yield - not the stretch.

You will always get very little stretch from any strain that is allowed to veg for a good time in the same pot

that flowering is induced under(weeks after vegging has occured). The same applies to anyone who has ever tried

to revegg and flower an already finished plant in the SAME pot that its' first harvest was taken in. People

should be aware that the only time real stretching can occur with cannabis, especially in preflower, is when a

good volume of NEW/virgin soil is introduced or is allowed to surround the already WELL established root-ball.

It is only then, that the plant can provide us with a sudden and spectacular 'final reach' upwards as flowering

commences. This is why 'stretch factors' that are quoted by good growers and seed suppliers can only be had as

such IF the plant is vegged in its' 2ND largest pot and then transplanted into its' largest pot 1-2weeks PRIOR

to initiating a 12/12 regime. As this gives the plant just enough time to grow into the soil and realise that

there is plenty of NEW soil with which it can suddenly grow new roots to compliment its' final stretch. Also

keeping in mind that MOST of these quoted stretch factors are 'true' when a plant of NOT cropped/clipped and

has only one main shoot. The more the main shoots it has, the lesser the stretch factor 'provided' as it has to

be dispersed into more than one mainstem.

So this is why I outline that one do their LAST transplant into the plants largest/final pot AFTER all preflower

stretching has occured...as it has ALREADY been restricted by using a small pot during 'preflower and 2-3weeks

after, for if it wasn't then instead of ending up between 3-5foot tall at most, it would've stretched to an

easy 8 foot tall and much more(with Sativa IBLs and Landraces). So, it is this restriction of roots at just

the right time that can be used to opposite effect to maximise the size and yield of lesser stretching plants

like indicas and the like with MINIMAL vegging period. You'd be amazed how heavily noded and yielding a 3-4

foot tall IBL sativa can become when grown using the method I outlined above that restricts stretching by root

restriction of the right proportion. That way one NEED NOT veg the plant for a long time and trim back twice to

then hopefully end up with a reasonably sized indoor sativa. The vegging period with an IBL/Landrace sativa with

an UNCLIPPED mainshoot can be effectively reduced to the minimal period required for the plant to show 'sex'

when started under 10-11 hours day from sprout or a few days after sprouting under an 18hour light

regime...which can trigger sexing in IBL's a little faster than had they been sprouted under a flowering

photoperiod, but NOT with landrace sativas. The only thing that gets pure landrace sativas into flowering

quicker lots of darkness and flowering ferts in the soil from day one. But not too much ferts as this can also

increase herm and male rates with landraces. It's all a balancing act that can be easier won with patience

rather than eagerness.

So if you try the method I outlined above, it's success will lay in the TIMING of the last pot transplant into

the largest/finishing pot. If you do it too early, the plant will go into a state of flowering-stretch/vegging-

flowering and end up stretching excessively...as do landrace SEAsians when provided with lots of spare soil that

the roots can continue growing in. They'll stretch to the moon if transplanted into a larger soil volume at

anytime after vegging. Be they in Preflower of flower they don't care...if they sense more soil, a stretching

they will go. So to grow them successfully and restrain their height while still getting an excellent yield

without clipping the mainistem requires a COMPLETLY different strategy to the one I outlined for the Africanas

(or most IBL sativas that are NOT landraces). I should also point out that most African strains available

including those from AfricanSeeds, are NOT true pure landrace sativas. They are more an IBL sativa heavily

acclimatised to the region they came from, but where originally a blending/crossing of other pure sativas that

where available long ago. This is why NONE of them have preflowering stretch factors in excess of 20 to 1...as

does the DALAT Nam which can easily go 25 to 1 even in a 20 Litre pot. From a couple of inches tall to over 5

foot tall finished with 10/14 from day one and flowering commenced from the time the clone has set-root and been

placed into the 20L odd pot. I had Shantis NevHAze do me a 9 to 1 stretch that seem considerable, till I tried

the Nam and other SE Asian landraces. They stretch so much that they need no vegging to become huge.

Corky's Note To Others:

This is why I'm growing in 16 ounce plastic cups till they show sex. Then I will select the nicest plants

to go into either a 6 or 8 inch pot. I will most likely choose the 8 inch.

Edited by corky1968
1 person likes this

hi corky, glad you are keeping clones of the males:) I once had a male and female blueberry, killed the male and when I twisted it to throw in thrash, it was the strongest best smelling stuff ever. In someone else`s hands he would have been a great daddy:)have fun with it

hi corky, glad you are keeping clones of the males:) I once had a male and female blueberry, killed the male and when I twisted it to throw in thrash, it was the strongest best smelling stuff ever. In someone else`s hands he would have been a great daddy:)have fun with it

That's too bad. I've actually never been successfull at making cannabis clones.

I haven't taken the Highland Thai or Kerala clones yet. The Keralas are only a

few inches high right now. I have some that are only about 5 inches tall and are

already starting to make little branches at the nodes. Which is cool. :rofl: The

Highland Thai on other hand are much taller. Some maybe 9-14 inches tall and

have only the smallest hint of any branch coming out. I guess they are more into

going tall then branching out like the Keralas. For this reason, I believe that

the Kerala may be more indoor friendly then the Highland Thai.

I have had success with cloning the tomatoes for that I've grown for my various gardens

over the years though. I find that a real tomato the kind you can eat and not smoke :rofl:

makes a excellent plant to test your cloning if your a beginner. But I think that I get

too excited when I try to clone cannabis and somehow mess it up. I will read my

book , read online, and watch my videos on the subject just before I do so.

Maybe it's cause I like making seeds so much that I haven't perfected the cloning

method. But breeding while taking clones can be really rewarding. For one thing,

my goals of crossing these two wonderfull pure sativas will no doubt create something

good. Cloning is a great way to save that special plant if you ever find one. I remember

growing Northern Lights in 1998 and can still remember buying just 10 seeds and bred

them. I got 4 females and 3 males back then out of the 10 seeds. Trust me, I really

wish I had that 1 female that smelled like a strong pine tree and only grew about

20 inches tall in full flowering. I still can see the glistening trichomes.

So cloning I must conquer with these plants.

Edited by corky1968

I`m sure you will be a master by the time you are done you certainly have enough to play with. lots of great info here. I`m trying a few bb dipped in water, then rooting powder and into little plastic cups with wet perlite, then into plastic bag with zipper and under cfl. I`ll let you know how it worked in a few days, so far looks quite healthy but only been 2 days:)

I heard you needed to veg sativas for 6 months to get the best results out of them and Indicas for 3. This holds true especially for seed making...

Just my 2 cents.

I've made seeds from indicas that were only vegged for 5 weeks a while back in 1998.

They were northern lights and I can tell you that I had 2 females that were less than

22 inches tall that each produced in excess of 1000 good striped coloured seeds. I

even tried to keep one from being pollinated and she produced the most. I think by

I know that sativas are much more complicated than indicas. My goal is to produce "SOME"

seeds. I have read elsewhere on the Net of someone growing and flowering pure haze

and kept them real small. He only grew 2 plants. Lucky, for him he had 1 of each gender.

His female haze was only 40-45 cm tall at 92 days of age. He ended up getting only 194

pure haze seeds. I'm kind of using his info along with other info that I've read online.

I just want to be clear to everyone who read this that I'm looking to make some seeds.

If you need proof that it can be done. Let me know I'll give you the link to the

info with pics that proves it can be done in a small way. No need to grow a bamboo

forest size plant. Which is what would happen if anyone grew then for a few months.

a wicked breed that will change my life. Only I think it will take around over a year

Wish Me Luck.

I'm not talking about the color of the outside of the seeds. I have no doubt that you can get MATURE seeds from practically any stage of plant if you do it right. What I am talking about is the potency and smell that come from keeping a plant around longer. I would say that your friends haze seeds are probably not as good as the haze seeds he bought. Now they will come out looking like the seeds he bought since he undervegged the mom so the seeds wont have any extra juice to outdo their mom. AGAIN not talking about strength of growth or color of seeds or any of that. That's beginner stuff. I'm talking about the quality of the plants that come out of the seeds and the quality of smoke on "undervegged" plants.

Regardless of this I think you are doing some awsome moves so keep it up and do a grow report on the seeds you collect! (In like a year :P)

Personally I am thinking of crossing the RSC Mazar with Afropips Nigerian. But this wont be going on until next year.... :(

Edited by Yodel

Just my 2 cents.

Wish Me Luck.

I'm not talking about the color of the outside of the seeds. I have no doubt that you can get MATURE seeds from practically any stage of plant if you do it right. What I am talking about is the potency and smell that come from keeping a plant around longer. I would say that your friends haze seeds are probably not as good as the haze seeds he bought. Now they will come out looking like the seeds he bought since he undervegged the mom so the seeds wont have any extra juice to outdo their mom. AGAIN not talking about strength of growth or color of seeds or any of that. That's beginner stuff. I'm talking about the quality of the plants that come out of the seeds and the quality of smoke on "undervegged" plants.

Regardless of this I think you are doing some awsome moves so keep it up and do a grow report on the seeds you collect! (In like a year :unsure:)

Personally I am thinking of crossing the RSC Mazar with Afropips Nigerian. But this wont be going on until next year.... lol

I think I now know what your talking about. I've seen somehing to this effect in

Mel Frank's book entitled Deluxe Marijuana guide on page 64. It says this I quote:

" A six-month-old plant will generally be better than a four-month-old plant, both

of which are flowering. Plants eight-month-old will usually be more potent than

six-month-old plants."

Only I've never know anyone in doing so. That's why I'm not sure about it.

Maybe if I can master the cloning stuff I could keep a few in the bonsai form.

I really like that article from OT1 on here: http://www.cannabase.com/cl/index.html

Using his info makes keeping a clone and mother something not only viable, it's

kind of cute. I'm not sure if it's possible to keep pure sativa plants short though.

I will give it a try. It would be cool to keep a Bonsai of a few different types.

If I had a big place to grow, I would like to grow at least the Keralas to full size.

I was thinking about planting a few seed outdoors next spring. I realize that in

Canada they would not mature outdoors. It would be more just to grow a tree.

The tallest plant that i've ever grown was a Lebanese this summer it was

5 feet tall.

Edited by corky1968

Ok so I was talking to a guru I get info from in my home town and he told me that it's basically strain dependent but 2-4 months is the best veg time for FULL maturity. That being said you can run decent smoke after they hit the 6th node. Then they are TECHNICALLY mature.

I want the kerla badly sigh. I live in the US and RSC wont sell to the US from their website so I had to get all my seeds through 3rd party vendors when they had them in stock....And they never carried the kerela.

The biggest plant I've run is a 7 foot skunk in a 20 gallon pot. Outdoors ofc. I pulled a bit over a pound off of her it was great. :wink:

I'm in socal so my gorwing time is a lot longer...Like the whole year. lol

Ok so I was talking to a guru I get info from in my home town and he told me that it's basically strain dependent but 2-4 months is the best veg time for FULL maturity. That being said you can run decent smoke after they hit the 6th node. Then they are TECHNICALLY mature.

I want the kerla badly sigh. I live in the US and RSC wont sell to the US from their website so I had to get all my seeds through 3rd party vendors when they had them in stock....And they never carried the kerela.

The biggest plant I've run is a 7 foot skunk in a 20 gallon pot. Outdoors ofc. I pulled a bit over a pound off of her it was great. :)

I'm in socal so my gorwing time is a lot longer...Like the whole year. :)

I wish I had a long growing season like you. Only, I can pass on the laws

in you neck of the woods. I do also really like the Kerala. Ever since seeing

the pics on The Real Seed Company's website and others. I do believe that

the pendulum needs to return to a more Sativa world. Indicas are better for

hash, but I think that I would prefer to get high over getting stoned. That's

what Sativas are much needed for.

Anyway, thanx for the input YODEL. Before I finish this, may I ask

you what's your favorite plant out of all the ones out there? Even if

you've never grown it. :unsure:

This is one of My Highland Thai. It sure is a stetchy bugger.

This plant is in a 16 ounce cup. I would hate to see one of

these put in a big pot inddors. It would surely grow to the

ceiling. Since this grow is about seeds and not weed I'll

stay with the smaller way of growing. I do dream of

growing these and others in a greenhouse one day.

I do like the lemony smell when I rub the stem.

The plants themselves don't smell too much at

the moment. Which is stealthy for now. That

may change when they are in full bloom later.

post-43977-1257879710_thumb.jpg

The same plant from the top. I really like the

jagged leaf look of these plants.

post-43977-1257879718_thumb.jpg

Edited by corky1968

This is another of the same Highland Thai as in the previous post.

It is now standing beside my computer tower. The tower is 18 inches

tall. So that give you a good idea of it's size. The cup is almost 5 inches

tall. So I would take a good guess at 13 inches tall or a little more

since it's just a tad taller than the tower.

post-43977-1257880420_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of one of my Kerala. I never pinched it.

Maybe an insect did the damage before it came out of the

soil. I would wait till a plant gets to it's 3 internode before

clipping it. This plant is just a fluke I guess. I really though

that it was going to die when I first saw it. Luckily it came

back. The others are normal and straight. If you look closely

you'll notice that I've clipped one leaf on the inside of each

branch. This was to let the light shine better. I actually have

trimmed all my Kerala and not the Highland Thai this way.

My goal is small bushy plants and not tree size monster

sativas.

post-43977-1257880436_thumb.jpg

Edited by corky1968