Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joolz

The Homebrew Thread

422 posts in this topic

can't believe we havent got one of these yet so i'll kick it off

we want your beer recipes, wine making tips and anything else to do with brewing your own posted here :rofl:

This year I'll be making sloe gin and blackberry vodka

Sloe gin is easy

take one bottle of decent quality gin

either drink half of it or find an empty bottle and make double the amount :yinyang:

take some ripe sloes picked late October onwards and preferably after a frost, prick each sloe with a fork and drop into the half empty gin bottle and keep going until its almost full, then add a couple of 100g of sugar, put the lid on, give a good shake and leave for 6 months.

After 6 months decant liquid into a clean bottle (using a wine filter gives a really clear end product) and dispose of the gin soaked sloes and leave gin in a cool dark place for at least another 6 months (if you can :rofl:)

blackberry vodka is pretty much the same method as a above, obviously substitute gin for vodka and blackberries for sloes :rofl: but you will get a better flavour if you slightly crush each blackberry to release the juice rather than prick them with a fork :yep:

Edited by Joolz
3 people like this

Sorry this is more of a question than a recipe (well let's face it, it's a question :disguise2: )

Does anyone remember a recipe for cannabis beer from an old underground magazine - might have been Homegrown - it was called Two's Too Much?

It was based on the idea that cannabis is the closest relation to hops - it substituted all or part of the hops with buds.

Never got round to trying it myself - never had that much to spare. I bet someone on this site has made it.

Sorry this is more of a question than a recipe (well let's face it, it's a question :rofl: )

Does anyone remember a recipe for cannabis beer from an old underground magazine - might have been Homegrown - it was called Two's Too Much?

It was based on the idea that cannabis is the closest relation to hops - it substituted all or part of the hops with buds.

Never got round to trying it myself - never had that much to spare. I bet someone on this site has made it.

There is a canna beer recipe in a book called 'I Love It' by this German guy.

I have the book at home.......it's quite odd.

I'll post the recipe/method later.

Good thread Joolz.....I've made quite a lot of homebrew over the years. Mainly wine from kits as I can never seem to get the beer or lager to work properly. I've had success with cider kits though.

There are some really good quality wine kits out these days.....single variety of grapes - not a bit of grape concentrate + apple concentrate.

1 person likes this

hat off tya Joolz, ive been dying to get some home brew recipies, tecniques!! i live right out in the countryside have access to loadsa ingredients :spliff:

I live out in the country too mate and it seems a shame to waste all these free ingredients that grow on the bushes and hedgerows :spliff:

might as well turn them into something nice to help while away those long, dark, cold nights;)

There is a canna beer recipe in a book called 'I Love It' by this German guy.

I have the book at home.......it's quite odd.

I'll post the recipe/method later.

please do lol

Good thread Joolz.....I've made quite a lot of homebrew over the years. Mainly wine from kits as I can never seem to get the beer or lager to work properly. I've had success with cider kits though.

There are some really good quality wine kits out these days.....single variety of grapes - not a bit of grape concentrate + apple concentrate.

I havent used a kit yet, i got into home brewing quite recently, so far just made wine, sloe gin and blackberry vodka :wink:

my first attempt at wine was elderberry, i'll find out how well i did this winter when it will be three years old

Currently giving this recipe a try which i found on the net

I've made his ginger wine which was nice and as mentioned the elderberry too

Blackberry Wine.

1.814 kg (4 lb) of Blackberries. Pick before October to avoid the devil getting in them.

1.360 kg (3 lb) of sugar. Granulated.

4.546 Litres (1 gallon) of boiling water.

30 gms (1 oz) dried yeast. Port or Burgundy yeast is good for this wine.

Pectic enzyme. Helps to improve and prevent a haze forming in the wine.

Pick the berries on a bright, sunny day and wash well. Watch out for and remove any small maggots that may sometimes be seen. Crush the berries, place pulp and juice into your plastic bucket and pour the boiling water over them. I have found our food processor pulps and juices quickly and easily.

Allow to cool to 21°C add the pectic enzyme in accordance with the instructions, (approximately ¼ of a teaspoon to each 1.360 kg of pulp) cover and one day later add the yeast. Leave covered for 5 days in a warm place, stirring daily. At the end of five days strain through muslin and add the sugar to the juice.

Stir until all the sugar has dissolved.

Pour into a dark demijohn, fit airlock and allow to ferment to a finish.

The fermentation process has finished when there is no activity in the demijohn and a sediment has formed at the bottom of the liquid.

When fermentation is complete syphon off and filter into dark coloured bottles using your wine filter. I have found it easier to filter the wine into another demijohn and then pour into the bottles using a funnel. Keep for at least six months before drinking.

The longer it is kept the drier it will be.

I think i'll make a couple of gallons of this as we have loads of blackberries round here , if all goes to plan it should be good to drink in time for next summers bbq's, assuming we get a summer next year of course lol

Edited by Joolz
2 people like this

blackberry vodka is pretty much the same method as a above, obviously substitute gin for vodka and blackberries for sloes lol.gif but you will get a better flavour if you slightly crush each blackberry to release the juice rather than prick them with a fork

Ive just done this J and given them both a good shake but the sugar falls to the bottom

Do I just leave it like that or do i have to shake it every now and then

Cheers

Owd

1 person likes this

never actually brewed anything apart from shrooms :guitar:.

i think i'll be watching this thread and giving it a go.

blackberry vodka is pretty much the same method as a above, obviously substitute gin for vodka and blackberries for sloes :guitar:.gif but you will get a better flavour if you slightly crush each blackberry to release the juice rather than prick them with a fork

Ive just done this J and given them both a good shake but the sugar falls to the bottom

Do I just leave it like that or do i have to shake it every now and then

Cheers

Owd

just give it a quick shake once a week

it should dissolve eventually :alien2:

1 person likes this

Nice one mate, will do :guitar:

Owd

I've just knocked up 5 gallons of this too as it seemed a shame to waste all the apples on our tree :guitar:

Apple Wine

itemx_19.jpg

An old, trusted recipe. However, be sure to make extra care with sterilisation, and be aware that the type of apple dramatically changes the finished flavour.

Ingredients

- 3 1/2 lb Cooking Apples ( i used eating apples so used less sugar to compensate)

- 2 1/2 lb Granulated Sugar

- 1 Gallon Cold Water (8 Pints)

- 2 Lemons

- 1 Orange

- 1 tsp Wine Yeast

- Yeast Nutrient

- Pectic Enzyme

Method

- Wash and cut apples - do not peel or core, dice if possible.

- Put into a plastic bucket[1] and pour 1 gallon of cold water over them.

- Cover bucket[2] and leave for a week, but stir well every day with a plastic spoon[3].

- After a week, strain liquid through muslin into another bucket.

- Add 2 1/2 lb of sugar and juice and grated rinds of washed lemons and orange.

- Stir well until sugar is dissolved.

- Add the yeast[4], yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme[5]; then cover bucket and leave for 24 hours.

- It will then be ready to strain and put into fermentation jar[6] (squeeze until dry).

- Can be used as a non-alcoholic fruit drink straight away or if left for 4 months will turn into clear wine[7].

Notes

Some points not made clear in the original recipe.

1 All utensils and bucket etc should be sterile. Please see the section on Sterilisation. This is very important.

2 Some muslin, or sterile cloth tied around the top with string should suffice.

3 Yes, it is important.

4 Try and find wine yeast, rather than bakers' yeast - the difference is that bakers yeast can make wine only up to 14% alc, and wine yeast wine between 15% and 18% alc.

5 Follow instructions on packet bought, or, about a teaspoon of each. They are not essential to the process, but certainly help increase fermentation speed and strength of wine.

6 These can be bought in chemists or wine-making or home-brew shops, they hold about a gallon and have a slim top where a fermentation lock can be inserted. If you really can't find one, you can ferment in a bucket that has polythene tied around the top tightly with string - air will find a way out when pressure increases and hopefully not let any air back in. If you use a fermentation jar, ensure that you sterilise the lock - the lock should have water in both chambers, so air bubbles through it as it is pushed out of the bottle - you should top up the lock when it gets low.

copied from here

1 person likes this

Cor, this thread has brought back a few memories. My Dad used to be into wine making and he'd often send me and my Sister out into the fields at the back of our house to pick dandelions to make dandelion wine. He made a bottle once and stuck it up in our loft to open on my Sisters 21st birthday which was about 13 years or something away. It was minging when he opened it! Fair play though, he did make some lovely stuff and I used to love the fruit picking, I remember his elderberry wine being particularly nice and quite possibly my first taste of alchohol!

I can still remember the strong yeast smell of the wine-making shop that he used to take us in to buy demi-johns and all sorts of tubes. Great days...

Now I come to think about it, there's plenty of blackberries growing over my back fence... Do you think 4 and a half is too young to send my daughter out with a couple of carrier bags :ninja: ...

Thanks for the link J, just bookmarked it :wassnnme:

Gonna be raiding the apple trees this w/e. Not that I like em or owt but gonna be making lots of crumble. Plus if I get to making this wine stuffs now it'll hopefully be ready for valentines day.....cor am I a soft touch or what :yinyang:

:angry:

allways brew my own

3l red grape juice

1l Ocean Spray cranberry and raspberry (also from Lidl)

500g/1lb sugar

2tsp citric acid

1tsp pectolase

1tsp yeast nutrient

1 sachet youngs super yeast compound

or

Tea Wine

Ingredients:

4 pints Tea (leavings in the pot)

2 Lemons

1¼ lbs Sugar

Yeast and nutrient

Method:

The key to this recipe is 5oz of sugar to a pint of tea.

Save the last bit of tea from the pot daily until you have accumulated 4 pints. When you have this half gallon, bring it to the boil in a sauce pan and add the sugar. Just boil it long enough to dissolve the sugar.

Pour into an earthenware jar, add juice of the lemons, half a teaspoon of yeast nutrient and - when cool - a teaspoon of dried yeast.

Keep closely covered in a warm place.

When first vigorous ferment is over, stir, then transfer to a fermenting bottle and fit trap. When it begins to clear (after about 6 weeks) rack and bottle.

This should produce about 13% alcohol.

or

This is a basic recipe for Damson Country Wine

3 lb ripe damsons

3 lb sugar

1 gallon cold water

pectic enzyme

campden tablets

gp wine yeast

yeast nutrients

Instructions :

pick your damsons as ripe as possible, remove stones and wash them well.

Put the damsons in a large saucepan or preserving pan and pour on a 4.5L (or as much as possible) of cold water.

Bring to the boil and simmer until the damsons are tender but not mashy.

Strain off the liquid through muslin into a plastic bucket (add any remaining water).

Add 3lb. of granulated sugar to the liquid in the bucket and stir well with a plastic spoon until the sugar has dissolved.

Cover and leave to cool right down.

Add pectic enzyme and a crushed campden tablet.

Leave for 24 hours covered in a warm atmosphere before stirring in the yeast and yeast nutrient.

Leave in a warm environment for three days before you transfer into a fermentation vessel, fit an airlock and ferment until dry.

when the fermentation has stopped, rack and clear before bottling.

You will de able to drink it in six months or perhaps before that. but the longer you keep it the better it will be

or

4 ltrs Sainsbury Apple Juice

150g Brewers sugar

Packet of Yeast.

Put 3 1/2 ltr AJ into Demijohn.

Heated 1/2 ltr of AJ to dissolve the sugar into.

Mixed in a Demijohn and took an OG of 1054.

Add Yeast and shook like hell.

Stuffed bung and airlock into top of Demijohn. (airlock is filled with 40% Plum Schnapps, should be better against bugs than water surely?)

Sit back and wait. should come out @8% in three weeks

H@H

1 person likes this

Nice thread, joolz. Like it much. Used to help my dad brew home brew ale in my youth, headbanging stuff. Have always wanted to boss my own brew and have recently acquired the necessary gear..

I read a similar recipe to that apple juice one using 4.5 litres of water, the pulp of 4 oranges, a sachet of high ethanol wine brewers yeast, and sugar.. I'll search it up tomorrow and post it.. makes stuff you really should mix with ribena for an alcopop but can be as strong as 17% dependant on the ethanol celing of the yeast, pretty quickly.. The no-equipment brew recipe i saw used a 5 litre bottle of spring water, but i've got a demijohn here and have planned to do a brew so now might be the time... If i do, i'll post it.

Edited by CaptainStoner

Gonna be raiding the apple trees this w/e.

Scrumping!

Anyhoo....

I really need to get another thermostatic relay controller for my still.....

:)

not a home made recipe i know but John Bulls make a decent cider kit , works out about 25p a pint . 1st ferment is done in 7 days and secondry is done 7 days after (maybe earlier if youve a top float on your barrel).

ken ridge also do a decent few wine kits done in 6 weeks with no fillers like apple juice ect

cant ya tell im a easy brew person :russian:

the wines work out about a quid a bottle , maybe 1.20

1 person likes this