1583 replies to this topic

#1 The Happy Cropper

The Happy Cropper

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:34 PM

Hi all,

Recently (the last 3 months or so) I seem to have developed/aquired a taste for Real Ale, Ive never really been a Lager Drinker as it gave me hangovers from hell. I always thought Real Ale was horrible after tasting it years ago when I was first in England, however after tasting it recently I have really started to enjoy it. Ive tried a few London Pride, Deuchars, Greene King IPA, Theakston Old Peculiar (A favourite) Spitfire, Old Speckled Hen and a couple of others, Old Peculiar has been my favourite so far. Have any of the seasoned Ale Drinkers got any reccomendationsfor me to try?
Many thanks
Ileach
"Its just a ride". Bill Hicks R.I.P

#2 Underwater

Underwater

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9773 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:44 PM

Black Isle are doing some nice organic stuff atm. the have an incredible wheat beer - havnt seen it outside scotland tho.
Isle Of Skye brewery - their most popular Red Cuillin is in most pubs here - but its the Black Cuillin thats the champ for me very dark ale, i think its won CAMRA 2007 another brilliant treacley dark is the Cairngorm Brewery Black Gold - rich, deep and complex.

And morrisons bottle conditioned is incredible for a supermarket beer, actually so is co-op wheat beer.

#3 Boojum

Boojum

Drinky Crow

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57155 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:48 PM

There's a whole world of real ale out there, welcome to it :yep:

If you like O.P. then I'm guessing you're more into dark ales. It's hard to find any real ale down here in Brighton but most offys sell Tanglefoot from the Badger brewery, and that's a good dark ale. Not a dark ale, a stout, but I heartily recommend Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. Bishops Finger is reasonably well available and is good. The Fullers range are generally good (I particularly like 1845, strong but nice). The aforementioned Badger brewery make some good beers. For a lighter ale try St Austell brewery Tribute, a superb pale ale, and Harviestoun brewery Bitter and Twisted, one of my all time favourite beers. Hop Back brewery Summer Lightning is an absolute classic, a lovely beer. Youngs, as well as the double chocolate stout, also make some good ales. If you like your dark ales then look out for anything called 'porter', it's a classic style of dark ale, particulary suited to winter drinking. For a mass produced dark ale Newcastle Brown is actually surprisingly good. But it goes without saying that the best real ale is stuff on tap in pubs, not many pubs cater for us real ale drinkers nowadays but there are ones to be hunted out, many that rotate their beers so you can try a new one every few weeks. You just need to find a pub that knows how to treat it's beer, cos well kept real ale is wonderful, but badly kept real ale is fucking awful (IMHO it's why not many people drink real ale, cos not many pub landlords nowadays know how to treat their beer properly, they're used to mass produced industrial lager that tastes like piss no matter how its treated). So many more good real ales out there, my memory is just failing me at the moment but if any more significant ones come to me I'll post them.

Caution.
Do not rattle cage.
This animal may bite.

YNWA

#4 Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis

Lurking at the Threshold

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:48 PM

St Peters Organic Ale is one of me favourites. :yep:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

>Go Bonsai<

macro

#5 d_L_t

d_L_t

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7300 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

Try Brains Bitter, it's not bad in a can too and lidl sell it 75p a can?

#6 The Happy Cropper

The Happy Cropper

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

So Scottish Ales are good? Interesting.
Ive just opened a bottle of Wychcraft from Wychwood Brewery, blonde Ale apparently. Looks lovely, yumyum, tastes a bit citrusy?

#7 Boojum

Boojum

Drinky Crow

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57155 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

Wychwood makes some good beers - Hobgoblin is another good dark ale. And I love the slogan "What's the matter lagerboy, afraid you might taste something ?" :yep:

Caution.
Do not rattle cage.
This animal may bite.

YNWA

#8 Militant

Militant

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1004 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

I'm only a young drinker myself so my palette is yet to sample all delights called Ale :D

Recently i've started to drink pale ale's like Pilsner (Becks Vier 4% being a bit of a fav). Reasons being is that it doesn't leave such a harsh taste in the back of the throat when i have a smoke. Though it is fermented cold like lager!

When i go away in the UK i try and pop into a nice country pub and sample some local ales. A few years back I went on a canal-boat holiday on the Norfolk broads and sampled some of the ales around there. One particular favourite was a 5% ale called Straw Dog. If you get to go to a 'Weatherspoons' pub or a 'Hobgoblin' they normaly tend to have a wide selection of ales including 'guest ales'. About 4-5 years ago Hobgoblin produced a nice heavy kicking ale called 'The Dogs Bollocks' it was about 5-6% they have produced a paler version since i believe.

A nice smooth pint of Murphys can be lovely from draught, but i think this could be a stout! :smoke:

Cheers :yep:

e2a: What Boojum said^^ & The Hobgolin chain belongs to The Wychwood Brewery :spliff:

Edited by Militant, 05 January 2009 - 10:00 PM.

Depression is just Anger without Enthusiasm!!

#9 Abe Froman

Abe Froman

Stoned Again

• Team UK420
  • 6689 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

just on the last drops of a pint of old specked hen atm :D
my next couple will be sneck lifter
Attached File  _snecklifter.jpg   2.17KB   0 downloads
:yep: whilst watching tonights feature presentation
http://www.uk420.com...p;#entry1594719

"What's the matter lagerboy, afraid you might taste something ?"

:spliff:

reusable plant stakes
Up here for dancing , Down there for thinking.
I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.
Why you need a contactor (AKPOG's lucky escape)

#10 The Happy Cropper

The Happy Cropper

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

Cheers Booj, very interesting list, might have known you would know your Ales.
I think the Dark Ales are more my thing, the Blonde seems quite nice though. Double Chocolate Stout, that sounds lush.
Hipgnosis - Do they sell that in Bottles in Supermarkets?
Smokey - 75p can has got me interested, love the name Brains Bitter.

This Wychwood one is quite nice.
The effect of Real Ale seems to be nicer also, a more rounded effect? (Hope that makes sense).

Should I drink one Ale all night or is it ok to mix or will this ruin the flavour?

#11 The Happy Cropper

The Happy Cropper

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

The names are amazing, kinda reminds of Canna. All the flavours, names, colours, effects etc.

Im LOVING this Wychwood Wychcraft.

#12 Underwater

Underwater

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9773 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

So Scottish Ales are good? Interesting.
Ive just opened a bottle of Wychcraft from Wychwood Brewery, blonde Ale apparently. Looks lovely, yumyum, tastes a bit citrusy?

Thats just my taste - tbh all the beers mentioned here sound great, have had the harviestoun and it is good - but not on draught - like boojum says get on the hunt for real ale pub. I used to drink in a belter back home - The Ship, never anyone under 50 in there but that was a good thing! If you like a bottle - get searching for it on draught! Any micro brewery worth its salt will have a look at the cellar before putting their ale in so you should never get a bad pint of real ale! One of the wychwood ones is in vicky wine i think i'll try it tomorow.

#13 Boojum

Boojum

Drinky Crow

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57155 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:04 PM

I mix, but then again I'm a pisshead :rofl:

Mixing, the first couple of mouthfulls of a new beer will be contaminated by the taste of the previous one, but after that it's cool.

Real ale & food is also something to experience. I find real ale goes best with full flavoured, spicy (but not necessarily curries) type food. cumberland sausages go great with a good ale :yes:

Caution.
Do not rattle cage.
This animal may bite.

YNWA

#14 Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis

Lurking at the Threshold

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

Yeah ASDA sell it mate.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

>Go Bonsai<

macro

#15 Militant

Militant

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1004 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:08 PM

Sorry to sound commercial but i like a Cobra beer with a Curry.

Is the double chocolate ale the one that comes in a purple looking label? Think i have had it once :rofl:

e2a: http://www.wellsandy...ouble-chocolate i got a bottle in a box set for Christmas. Very tasty

Edited by Militant, 05 January 2009 - 10:12 PM.

Depression is just Anger without Enthusiasm!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users