Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Boojum

What Are You Reading At The Moment ?

3,121 posts in this topic

Currently reading Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie, a kinda standalone follow-up to The First Law trilogy. I really like his stuff, it's fantasy but a cynical sort, no 'heroes', the characters are at best deeply flawed and mostly self-serving shits and as such it's more true to real life than most non-fantasy novels. He does what fantasy at its best does - hold up a mirror to the 'real world'. Thoroughly enjoying it, just like I thorougly enjoyed The First Law trilogy :)

Started The Passage by Justin Cronin this morning (another charity shop book, I do love charity shops :) ). Seems pretty good so far, his writing style kinda reminds me of early-mid era Stephen King.

Bandit Roads by Richard Grant. Travel tales with a twist. If you've never read one of his books it's worth a go.

Finished The Passage, it was pretty good. Started The Girl With All The Gifts - the concept is very similar to the game The Last of Us, but although it's not entirely original it's got me hooked, the writing is superb, absolutely getting the mind of a very bright ten year old spot on - heartbreakingly so. Very impressed with it so far.

Bill Bryson a walk in the woods. pretty good read

1 person likes this

Finished The Girl With All The Gifts last night, superb. Started The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, which I'm thoroughly enjoying :)

Finished The Lies of Locke Lamora, hugely entertaining, so much so I've bought the next one in the series on Kindle, which I'm just starting now.

Finished the Gentleman Bastards trilogy. Pretty enjoyable. Gave Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence a go but didn't really get into it, just started Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson which I'm enjoying a lot more. Wish Joe Abercrombie would write another First Law book, I gave his Shattered Sea series a go but it's not the same, more a 'young adult' fantasy and so lacking the dark, cynical edge that I loved about the First Law series.

Finished Gardens of the Moon. Superb. Just got the second book, Deadhouse Gates, on Kindle.

Currently reading "My name is Red" by Orhan Pamuk. It's good but not one of his best. "The Museum of Innocence" was much more gripping, was difficult to put down but this one goes through phases where you have to persevere to get to the good stuff again. 

Finished Deadhouse Gates. Superb, even better than the first one. On to the 3rd in the series - Memories of Ice.

Reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera, far more absorbing than I thought it would be

1 person likes this

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Memories of Ice and had to post cos it's just stunning. The series just keeps getting better, the way Erikson has drawn the plot threads from the first two books together is staggering. I'm in awe :notworthy:

Reading the same book again, does anyone else do that? Annoys me when my dad watches a film a dozen times. I can remember bits of the book to be honest but not proper detailed. The book is called 'judas pig' and best to buy the kindle version for a few quid as hard copy is around 50quid I believe. Is about London gangsters, nothing like your idiots who come out and tell the world they are a gangster. This was wrote by one of the boys who left the group and wanted revenge after they had mouthed him. These people take the media to court whenever their name pops up in the papers. They aren't needing a couple of grand from selling some books. Honestly pisses over any of the usual gangster shit. 

ive just started "sapiens a brief history of humankind" by yuval noah harari.