Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Arnold Layne

Time to go the full Volcano? Help me decide....

31 posts in this topic

Although I'm very happy with the three Mighty's I own, I am also coming up against one or two minor but growing problems, related to having Parkinson's. Cleaning the cooling unit for starters. Do-able, but with increasing difficulty. Loading the dosing pots, now not really possible, far too often. Dropping the Mighty,  ever more possible as my hands have bouts of neuro craziness. When the complexity of using a thing prevents one from taking needed meds ~ time to think again. This is not to knock the Mighty ~ far from, I've just purchased my third! But I'm now in need of something extra. However I have some questions I need help with, before deciding one way or the other (c.£500 notes is a big issue to us Yorkshire folk, we like to hang on to us brass).

1) How easy is it to load and clean? Fiddly, how much?

2) I'm a fussy old git, and hate the sight of dirty "whips". How easy is it to clean the whip internally, and keep it pristine? Seriously, this is a major issue for me!

3) How stable is the unit? Some stand alones are very wobbly and prone to fall over.

4) I find it increasingly challenging to draw on the Mighty some days (I have a dodgy ticker, and associated shortness of breath. Mild, but there.) I gather the Volcano has a sort of pump type thing, is that for filling the bag only, or can it be used to help draw through the whip? (If I do buy, I won’t be using the bag, can't get my head around the glue-head look!)

5) How long is the current £50 discount going to last? Long enough for me to make my mind up?

6) How big is the bowl, and how long is the electric cable?

Think that about covers it. Very tempted to jump, if all the above get positive answers, given the sub £500 ticket just now. That "5", doesn't help me buy anything quick! "4", you've got my interest.....

:smokin:

Sorry for remaining typos. This has already taken far too long to type, proof, and edit. Oh you of steady hands .... lucky lucky lucky bastads!! :rofl: I need a kip now. After a vape! :smokin:

11 people like this

I have a volcano digit with the solid valve ,1  that’s very easy to load and clean I find .  2 When I used a whip with arizer eq I found boiling it with milk helped clean it , can be a bit fiddly .  3 The volcano is very stable doesn’t wobble etc , the bowl can be a bit unstable if not put on properly .  4 The pump on the hybrid would help assist draws using a whip , the bags work well if a little noisy when they crinkle and have no restriction of airflow so you can do small sips . 5 As for the current discount I don’t know how long it goes , some companies discount codes stack when purchasing .  The bowl is large but uses a plumber to push it down so you can do micro loads or huge loads . 6 The electric cable on mine is  1.8 Mtrs remember mines a digit version which preceded the hybrid ., means no whip seems to be the only difference along with bowl material used now .
volcanoes are a good vape and reliable . I do seem to use my Minivap a bit more tbh as it’s more convenient for me , I also have a mighty and again the Minivap I prefer for similar reasons you stated .  
hope that helps a bit .

Edited by Arthur Mix
8 people like this

I have had a 'noraml' volcano for over 10 years now, it hasn't missed a beat, my missus bought a new 'normal' volcano about a year ago, so we had a race to see whos was fastest, her brand new one or my been left on constantly for the last 10 years one. Hers one by about 3 seconds!. sorry for rambling, just had a bag....anyway

1) dead easy to load, grind and tip in to the herb chamber which is about an inch and a half wide. I clean mine now and again with iso and its tickertyboo. There are some fiddly bit in there if you totally dismantle it.

2) I dunno about this as I have the council version, no whip, just a bag, but I did bang a bit of 10mm pvc tube on the top of the herb chamber about 6 years ago, its just pumps the vape straight in to your mouth/bong/room.

3) Stable as a table, I've never knocked mine over, due to the shape its very unknockable over.

4) It'll throw vaped goodness at you all day long with a whip, I would imagine. So minimum effort is need.

5) Dunno mate, it depends how long you need to think...

F) the herb chamber is 1 and a half inches wide and about half an inch deep, and the cable is about 6 foot long ish.

I hope this helps.

6 people like this

I own the Mighty and the Volcano (classic but with easy valve - i.e bags) as a med user (UC) I find I now barely use the mighty unless I'm out and about. The Volcano carries so much vapour you can easily overdo it and I've never filled the chamber as the vapour would be so dense it would be barely toke-able. you can really control the dose as you can choose what you want in terms of volume and just start on a lower temp and work up. With the Mighty I found it wasn't much good at lower temps but the Volcano works well from 6 up to 9 for me.

The filling chamber can get hot, you will only burn yourself a few times before you stop picking it up like that when it's hot! You can buy replacement screens - which is sometimes a better option than cleaning them after a while, and there are bags you can make yourself (you can buy a roll of the bag material) but I don't own the whip version so don't really know how that works. I would assume you can clean the whip with Iso or something similar as that's what I use on the other bits.

Solid unit, I bought one in 2006 and it died last year 2020 so it lasted 14 years. I bought another one pretty much the next day to replace it - it's my go-to vape.

7 people like this

It's all already been said. You need medicine. The Volcano is one of the best ways to administer it. Well worth the splurge. 

4 people like this

Just now, DeltaMelter said:

The Volcano carries so much vapour you can easily overdo it and I've never filled the chamber as the vapour would be so dense it would be barely toke-able.

Light weight ;)

@Arnold Layne I think bags are the way to go, you need to get over your glue complex, I have never used the whip but I would guess it is going to get mingin fairly quick.

10 people like this

I have an Arizer Extreme Q, which would be less suitable for you than the volcano due to the science-kit glass-wear that attaches the balloon to the vapouriser.  However, it is a gift and compared to filling, gripping and drawing on most basic hand-helds, simplicity itself.

I love using the balloons, it is the only way I use it.  At £120 its a steal too.  It allowed me to give up spliffs because it was so effective and I wouldn't ever want to move away from the ease of filling and using balloons...

The reason I mention it, while thinking about the Volcano - and saying the Arizer may not be good for you - is that I have learned with it that bags of vapour are awesome and easy to use.  The volcano with built in valves and a shorter connection path without the long glass parts would be ideal for you I am sure.  I have only used one once, in Amsterdam, but it was awesome.  If I had the cash, I'd get one when my Arizer dies.

I'd definitely recommend going the desktop vape route and the Volcano is pretty much the endgame device.  Balloons are portable, easy to use, easy to dose and very satisfying. If you can afford the latest Volcano, I don't see how you could go wrong.  Also...  Had you considered a classic Volcano?  They appear to be going for more like £280 now?

All the best.  I hope that you decide to go for it and treat yourself.  You only get one swing of the bat, you might as well get something that will help you relax and manage your meds easily...

Midge

7 people like this

Had all three got the hybrid now (cheap s/hand)but apart from heat up and whip i much prefered my digit out them all , solid valve is the most robust imho and can be stripped and soaked etc. you can attach a whip to aneasy valve but not perfectly , also just buy silicon tube and replace when dirty or un washable.

Edited by Personunknown
5 people like this

Just now, Personunknown said:

Had all three got the hybrid now (cheap s/hand)but apart from heat up and whip i much prefered my digit out them all , solid valve is the most robust imho and can be stripped and soaked etc. you can attach a whip to aneasy valve but not perfectly , also just buy silicon tube and replace when dirty or un washable.

The problem with the whip on a digi is the whip pulls the chamber off the top of the volcano, you have to hold it in place all the time.

Not a problem with the hybrid, the chamber is held in place.

5 people like this

Yo General 

Sorry to hear of your seemingly forever worsening PD symptoms. 

S&B fan here. 
Volcano Hybrid? The general of vapes imo. Heats up very quickly to desired temp. Bluetooth enabled. Choice of bag or rotating whip.

1. Very easy with large chamber. Not fiddly at all.

2. Whips can be cleaned with ISO and a gun barrel cleaner or anything similar like coat hanger and bit of rag. The whips, in time, can suffer some internal discolouration but replaced very cheaply. No need to replace mouthpiece or easy valve connector when this happens, just the silicone tube. 

3. Very stable. Never issues of wobbliness. 

4. Pump assists with whip usage very well and blows you up like a balloon if you let it. lol  The filling chamber on the Hybrid is twist lock so won’t fall off top of volcano. Also, when using with the app (or browser app for appleites) the pump can be turned on and off remotely with bluetooth connection. There’s even 4 decent temp/sequence presets on the app. Or you could choose to just suck on the tube with no pump assistance. Choice is there.

5. Haven’t a clue.

6. As already said, the bowl is plenty big enough (27mm internal width, 10mm deep) and also has a cool wide grip outer (65mm) allowing for handling without burning any fingers. Also available is the dosing capsule adapter. As for the cable? Great improvement on previous models. It is not permanent fix but rather a figure 8 IEC C7 plug-in type about 2 metres long.

5 hours ago, Arnold Layne said:

Very tempted to jump,

Do it. :D
:yinyang:

e2a For apple owners a WEB BLE friendly browser needs to be installed. I use BLUEFY and it works a treat.

Edited by bartman
7 people like this

i'm going to dig out my old desk top arizer, i've lost the adapter, but luckily the mighty powers it up.

i have everything but the bags, what replacement bags can i get from the supermarket?

4 people like this

Jon uses classic volcano, great device with solid valve. A bit slow to heat up, but one gets used to it, no hurry. As noted by others also, solid valve is straightforward to dismantle and soak in ISO, without too much fiddling or requiring eagle-eyes. (For the record, Jon does not like quick valve, disposables after some use.) Balloon is great, really elevates the whole process of consuming cannabis. :P Jon buys ready-made oven bags from local supermarket, ones for roasting turkey or ham, cheap and saves tying a knot. Replacing the balloon easily takes couple of times to practise, but again, it is not too fiddly or detailed process after all. Hope this helps.

5 people like this

12 minutes ago, ratdog said:

what replacement bags can i get from the supermarket?

In a vapefiend thread? None lol 

They used to be readily and widely supermarket available on the roll but not anymore it seems. Packs of individual bags in extra large size are still out there but usually a bit small for vape use i find.

Edited by bartman
3 people like this

Just now, bartman said:

In a vapefiend thread? None lol 

They used to be readily and widely supermarket available on the roll but not anymore it seems. Packs of individual bags in extra large size are still out there but usually a bit small for vape use i find.

oops :angel_not:  lol

i have just been shopping and bought some bacofoil ones, they should do the job ok?

extra large a bit small? lol i've only managed to get the medium, but it should be big enough for me, i'm a lightweight

2 people like this

Thanks everyone! Order placed, should be here Tuesday I think. By eck, that was a fair challenge to my Yorkshire wallet grip!! Still can't believe  I just spent that much! Looks like I'm going to have to get used to whip stain or bags; Ehhh well, it'll do me good.

I have to say that over the years Vapefiend have been very good for me. Witness the three "Mightys", and now this. Really good service too ~ I've sent a few folks their way. TBH, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Right, well, that's me sitting here all excited for 48 hours!

9 people like this