Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bobcharlieeeee

First super soil adventure. Need massive help

Hi guys

looking to start my first supersoil mix. Not fussed about it being 100% organic so i posted it in this section

does anyone have a guide on creating supersoil from readily available products from garden centres / b&q / b&m etc?

i need to know what is the best compost to start off with and all the other nutes i need.

i want to just use water throughout the grow with maybe some top dressing at somepoint if needed

any help will be appreciated 

1 person likes this

The Ecothrive range is a great place to start, I know its not your priority but its also all organic. They do pre mixed soil, but it works out cheaper to buy their dry amendments and mix your own. Their Life Cycle is a near enough complete mix, they recommend combining it with worm castings as well. I also use their Biosys instant microbial tea which is minimal effort and gives the plants a huge boost. They list all their ingredients so once you finish you first cycle and if you like the methodology you can buy each ingredient separately and save a bit of money per kg, but personally I pay the small premium for convenience and not having a lot of storage space. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, MindSoup said:

The Ecothrive range is a great place to start, I know its not your priority but its also all organic. They do pre mixed soil, but it works out cheaper to buy their dry amendments and mix your own. Their Life Cycle is a near enough complete mix, they recommend combining it with worm castings as well. I also use their Biosys instant microbial tea which is minimal effort and gives the plants a huge boost. They list all their ingredients so once you finish you first cycle and if you like the methodology you can buy each ingredient separately and save a bit of money per kg, but personally I pay the small premium for convenience and not having a lot of storage space. 

Thanks for the advice, il look into it

i was ideally looking for off the shelf products from garden centres

im terrible at forward thinking, when i need soil i wont have ordered it and id need to pick up the same day 

i like the look of the life cycle. 

what off the shelf compost would be best for this? 

Edited by Bobcharlieeeee

Posted (edited)

@MindSoup Nice man, used some eco thrice stuff before. Seems like they got everything for a no till set up now. Nice and easy without working with lots of packets/tubs of stuff! 

Exciting stuff. Setting up soon hopefully, peace of mind, was thinking I’d have to find all the amendments and stuff in the garage. 

45l delivered in a box. That sounds very heavy! 

Edited by B0bbyBuds

Posted (edited)

On 27/07/2021 at 8:31 AM, Bobcharlieeeee said:

what off the shelf compost would be best for this? 

Simplest way, just buy life soil it's expensive for soil but its all ready to go, just water and top dress/biosys at the stated intervals (if required). With a bit of extra work there are cheaper alternatives you can mix life cycle and VC into yourself personally I'd stick to something organic to keep in alignment with the ecothrive stuff. Most brands you'll find at a garden centre would probably benefit from some lava rock/perlite. You can re use your soil over and over again buy re ammending at the end of each cycle.

Edited by MindSoup

On 27/07/2021 at 11:31 AM, B0bbyBuds said:

45l delivered in a box. That sounds very heavy! 

Yeah it's a fair chunk to get in the post, but if you re use it you only have to do it once. I got lucky a while ago when a grow op was busted next to my mates house, big industrial unit, Police left all the old soil out the back, which we happily found a new home for lol.

1 person likes this