Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Oldbear

0% N Calmag?

32 posts in this topic
11 minutes ago, SYZYGY said:

@Oldbear

Grower's Ark Cal-Mag is 1.4 - 0 - 0 

Do you know the cal % and mg % please

5 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Do you know the cal % and mg % please

Afraid not mate, doesn't state on the bottle. I only know the N % from calling GA up and asking. 

Just now, SYZYGY said:

Afraid not mate, doesn't state on the bottle. I only know the N % from calling GA up and asking. 

It's crazy this info isn't on the labels :wallbash:

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

t's crazy this info isn't on the labels :wallbash:

I feel your pain... it's a good job I have plenty of downtime at work for research.

Whoever I spoke to GA seemed surprised that the info wasn't on the label. He talked me through his calculation as he was working it out lol 

Edited by SYZYGY

I thought they HAD to state the make up of these nutrients on the bottle?

seeing some huge differences in the cal and mag content of the different brands. 

just goes to show how some are fairly ripping us off.

1 person likes this

Dolomite, gypsum, kieserite...  All cost next to nothing though so may not satisfy the need for expensive fancy packaged hydro shop nutes :bag:

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

Dolomite, gypsum, kieserite...  All cost next to nothing though so may not satisfy the need for expensive fancy packaged hydro shop nutes :bag:

i'm inclined to agree, i have used dolomite on one plant and that plant looks the bollocks compared to ones without, and they are all getting cal mag so...

glad i shopped for some cheap cal mag, i will be using the dolomite all the time from now on and using the cal mag on different plants as an experiment.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Amarillo slim said:

I'm no chemist, I use dolomite, talk to me about the other two please 

:bong:

Obie 

Gypsum in calcium sulphate and kieserite is magnesium sulphate, so using these two you can add both Ca and Mg without N, unlike if using calcinit (calcium nitrate) etc.  This has the added bonus of adding sulphates which can increase terp production, it also means you can lower the mag side durning flowering to avoid off tastes in your flowers.  If you buy peat and adjust PH with dolomite then your unlikely to need additional ca/mg anyway (aside from normal amounts in your feed). Some brands of 'soil' may use calcitic lime instead which basically only provides the ca part.  

Edited by Amarillo slim
5 people like this

15 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

Gypsum in calcium sulphate and kieserite is magnesium sulphate, so using these two you can add both Ca and Mg without N

presumably this is a powder? and how much per litre of compost are you adding it mate?

1 person likes this

Can get in different forms, stuff I use is slightly more granular than powder.  Amounts and method you administer all depends on the situation - whats already in the mix, how long plants will be in etc. 

if you plan using dolomite lime I used to use it in soil at one small cupful to 15 litres of soil, as a rough guide.

I only used it in final pots, because I didn't have any calmag issues in early  veg.

Don't know if that's right, but it worked for me. 

Edited by badbillybob
2 people like this

Heres a mix I did with dolodust added, idea with this mix was could use for autos photos, organic and non organic etc..  

Really all you need for a grow is a bag of clover multipurpose and chempack 2 and 8. Oh and some B&Q buckets or better still the cut flower buckets from supermarkets that cost a maximum of 10p each.  

Edited by Amarillo slim
1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

if you plan using dolomite lime I used to use it in soil at one small cupful to 15 litres of soil, as a rough guide.

I only used it in final pots, because I didn't have any calmag issues in early  veg.

Don't know if that's right, but it worked for me. 

i added it in the final pot up and that seems to be working, i have gotten a bit para and added it from the start this grow and will carry on as an experiment. i am adding it at 2-3 grams per litre of compost, roughly

2 people like this

I'm using Canna Mono Ca and Mg 

Adjusted my water to a med-hard 

140 ppm ca 

40 ppm mg 

3.5 : 1 ratio

Biobizz works best in the upper range of hardness, hence my levels. This should negate any deficiencies since I'm buffering my Peat with dolo lime. 

:bong:

Obie