Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

_Jamie_

Bending plants

29 posts in this topic

Elloo guys n girls lol 

been told I can just bend my whole plant over and tie it down for more and bigger colas? Wouldn’t this just make the plant grow the same as it would naturally but sidewards? lol

No the little bud sites see there chance to be fat colas and all shoot up for the light. That's why scrog grows look like loads of plants it's just loads of branches tied down for more colas.

1 person likes this

Just now, michaeldbc said:

No the little bud sites see there chance to be fat colas and all shoot up for the light. That's why scrog grows look like loads of plants it's just loads of branches tied down for more colas.

So the plant won’t grow like 4ft sidewards?? I imagine it to grow like umm how can I explain this lol! Imagine a normal naturally grown plant in a pot that’s been kicked over lmfaoo

its probably the most productive training method.

by growing a 6-9" plant, tying it top to the pot you will get loads of new shots that become equally sized - therefore potential quadrupling yield vs a normal natural plant.

the blue arrow is the main head, now engulfed by the 5-6 new heads that would have been just nuggs down the main branch before, they are now bigger than the main head.  This was achieved by tying just the main stem down once (1), it then grew normally (2), but was assisted by the lower down soots (3).

large_LST.jpg

Edited by Budelaire
4 people like this

4 minutes ago, _Jamie_ said:

So the plant won’t grow like 4ft sidewards??

no as it grows away from the source of gravity, roots go down towards, shoots grow up away from the ground to the light.

Edited by Budelaire
2 people like this

Ok thanks guys, seem like the easiest way to train a plant compared to all the other ways I’ve read 

would it be idea to top the plant 1st before tieing it over or just leave to grow normally? And if so what node to top at? Thanks again

I'm a bit nasty and top at 3rd node. But I wouldn't advise this not all strains will thank you for it. If I was growing something I'd never tried topping before I'd let it get to the 6th node and then chop at the 5th. And after topping I'd be tying everything down so it grows nice and bushy.

5 people like this

13 minutes ago, _Jamie_ said:

would it be idea to top the plant 1st before tieing it over or just leave to grow normally? 

Combinations are fine and even more productive.

Top your plant to leave 4 heads, let them grow on.  LST these to the pot and then some even put a net on top at this point (I do), then train them through the net for a Topped, LST'd ScroG.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, michaeldbc said:

I'm a bit nasty and top at 3rd node. But I wouldn't advise this not all strains will thank you for it. If I was growing something I'd never tried topping before I'd let it get to the 6th node and then chop at the 5th. And after topping I'd be tying everything down so it grows nice and bushy.

There sour diesel and haze strains don’t know how they respond to it, il top at the 5th node then bend over and tie the main stem down with the side branches should I tie aswell or leave? Thanks

1 person likes this

Not training like this in some way is suicide yield wise tbf and can be problematic in tents.

Only time I wouldn't LST/ScroG/Top is if it was either a seed/test run and I used smaller than usual pots just to see what's what with the individuals/strains.  The Natural stretch/shape of plant vs trained is better judged this way.  Other time would be with clones in a Sea of Green method, using more than 2 plants per sq ft. 16-48 over a meter sq ideally with that method mind!

where a topped, LST'd ScroG I've seen literally covering 64sqft/4 bulbs with one plant.

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Budelaire said:

Not training like this in some way is suicide yield wise tbf and can be problematic in tents.

Only time I wouldn't LST/ScroG/Top is if it was either a seed/test run and I used smaller than usual pots just to see what's what with the individuals/strains.  The Natural stretch/shape of plant vs trained is better judged this way.  Other time would be with clones in a Sea of Green method, using more than 2 plants per sq ft. 16-48 over a meter sq ideally with that method mind!

where a topped, LST'd ScroG I've seen literally covering 64sqft/4 bulbs with one plant.

So I probably don’t have the room? 4 plants in a 100X100X200 tent 

That 64sqft was an extreme example - 4 x 50cm sounds perfect I use a 50cmx50cm net on top of my 14 or 21ltr pots.  So four would be a great fit mate.

Edited by Budelaire

If you fashion up 4 individual SCROG nets then you'll have access to the plants at the rear for training/watering etc.  It's a real pain trying to access the plants at the back of the tent when you've got one net covering the area.  If your watering is automated then it's not such an issue.

1 person likes this

that how I roll.  50cm2 at top, 25cm2 lower down canes on the pot.  you can use the bucket handle to move them and gain access etc.

You can just see the double net and LST'd plant beneath it all in this pic.

large.5c51894ccc0ef_3-_MG_6981.jpg

4 people like this

49 minutes ago, Budelaire said:

its probably the most productive training method.

by growing a 6-9" plant, tying it top to the pot you will get loads of new shots that become equally sized - therefore potential quadrupling yield vs a normal natural plant.

the blue arrow is the main head, now engulfed by the 5-6 new heads that would have been just nuggs down the main branch before, they are now bigger than the main head.  This was achieved by tying just the main stem down once (1), it then grew normally (2), but was assisted by the lower down soots (3).

large_LST.jpg

Brilliant illustration, when you bend the main do you want it to crack like super cropping or just an easy bend? 

Obie

1 person likes this