Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Clops

Need pointing in the right direction for my first grow

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Looking to do my first grow im limited for space so giving auto flowers a go just need help with what equipment to get! looking to use led lights? Im in a block of flats on the middle floor is this going to be a problem for me. Also what soil and nutrients are best to use with autos? Is it best to have them on 24 hour light or 18-6 as you can tell im a complete newbie to growing so any help will be appreciated thanks  

Edited by Clops

hi m8 congrats on taking the first step in being self sufficient :) 

what dedicated space have you got for growing in and is it a tent style setup your looking at?

what budget do you have ?

i also would change the idea of autos and go for a feminised version as autos can be harder to manage if any problems in veg phase come up.

with a feminsed version you can correct any problems in veg then flip to 12/12 to flower 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hello mate thanks for the reply space is limited thats why i was going for autos plus i got given a few seeds while at spannabis lol  im looking at putting a small tent in a cupboard but theres a water tank in there so aint really got the room for a big grow tent so was thinking of 60x60x200cm hopefully big enough for one or two plants. Im just a bit worried where im gonna put the ducting extracting the smell from inside the tent too as the cupboards not near a window 

Edited by Clops

What I've seen quite a few cupboard growers doing (especially those who rent) is to remove the door and replace it with your own one which you can cut a few holes in for extraction and inlet ducting.  From there you can run the ducting to an open window.  When (if) you move out, just replace the original door.

You don't have to worry about venting outside if you can't. Vent to another room or put a hole in the cieling carbon filter deals with the smell.

Just now, michaeldbc said:

You don't have to worry about venting outside if you can't. Vent to another room or put a hole in the cieling carbon filter deals with the smell.

He lives in the middle of a block of flats.  Going through the ceiling would be fine if he wanted to exhaust into the upstairs neighbour's bedroom.  Also, it's best to vent that air outside if possible.  Any circulating stale air is reducing the amount of fresh air your plants are getting which will affect overall health and smell.

1 person likes this

I was thinking maybe taking it up the extractor fan whats in the bathroom?

1 person likes this

Just now, JJJ said:

He lives in the middle of a block of flats.  Going through the ceiling would be fine if he wanted to exhaust into the upstairs neighbour's bedroom.  Also, it's best to vent that air outside if possible.  Any circulating stale air is reducing the amount of fresh air your plants are getting which will affect overall health and smell.

When you go through a plasterboard cieling mate there's not somebody else flat above you lol there's about 10" of playspace above your cieling that the neighbours can't get to 

I'm building a room for a friend now in a middle flat all the wiring and venting is up above the cieling.. just coming down some trunking for access when needed.

Plaster is easy to work aswell and repair afterwards through the cieling is an easy fix 

Posted (edited)

Just now, Clops said:

I was thinking maybe taking it up the extractor fan whats in the bathroom?

Ideal if you can do it...:yep: Although you'll need a better fan in there.

Edited by JJJ
1 person likes this

When you go through a plasterboard cieling mate there's not somebody else flat above you lol there's about 10" of playspace above your cieling that the neighbours can't get to 

I'm building a room for a friend now in a middle flat all the wiring and venting is up above the cieling.. just coming down some trunking for access when needed.

Plaster is easy to work aswell and repair afterwards through the cieling is an easy fix 

I see what you're saying but I'd be concerned about any possible smell leak entering the rest of the building.  Any failure or split in the ducting and the whole block could be alerted.

In little spaces if your concerned about smell i reckon you could just chuck an ozone generator in there yano as a backup..bad for you but if it's only a backup smell scrubber only cheap 

No evidence but see mention of them sometimes 

Emergency option maybe tho 

1 person likes this

Also can someone advise me on the best led light to get not sure what wattage im gonna need etc

I don't really know the first thing about led tbh mate i use hps lights in both my areas 

In a 60x60 I'd want a 400watt hps maybe 250watt if heat was an issue

Most hps ballasts you see are dimmable these days they're cheap and they're do the job great.

Led are decent but I think still too expensive at the moment at least for my tastes I'm in this game to save £ lol I smoke about 7g a day 

There's a bloke who sells them on here they look shit hot tbh and I think in the future il be getting a couple

But hps is the winner for me atm 

Initial cost much less 

Not sure how long you'd have to be using a led of the same power as a hps to be able to say the led cost was worth it vs the cost of a hps.

Led is the future though for sure 

1 person likes this

I don't really know the first thing about led tbh mate i use hps lights in both my areas 

In a 60x60 I'd want a 400watt hps maybe 250watt if heat was an issue

Most hps ballasts you see are dimmable these days they're cheap and they're do the job great.

Led are decent but I think still too expensive at the moment at least for my tastes I'm in this game to save £ lol I smoke about 7g a day 

There's a bloke who sells them on here they look shit hot tbh and I think in the future il be getting a couple

But hps is the winner for me atm 

Initial cost much less 

Not sure how long you'd have to be using a led of the same power as a hps to be able to say the led cost was worth it vs the cost of a hps.

Led is the future though for sure 

Only thought led would be better as its not as bad on the electricity bill what ive been told anyway lol whats hps like on electricity bill?  

@diyleduk.  Site sponsor.  Best LED light around at the moment IMO.

1 person likes this