Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bustin Jieber

making ethanol oil

86 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

i was going to try to make some oil using ethyl alcohol from eaby, its going to be consumed orally so do i really need to do the whole winterising thing? is it just for taste if its being smoked?

also, is there a sfae way of evaporating that doesnt involve heat, or maybe a little heat and an erlenmeyer flask? as i randomly have one lying round.

Edited by bazil brush

Personally I'd say if you are going to eat it raw you just need to decarboxylate it and nothing more but I'm no expect

1 person likes this

should evaporate overnight, I use a coffee machine plate

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

put your bud in the oven to decarb first

for an oz you need about 1/4 of a liter

leave it to evaporate in rice cooker or slow cooker ,stir occasionally

once the bubbles stop forming you done,scrape it and enjoy

I have done this last night and melted my 3g of RSO in 8ml of olive oil and have a nice tincture to medicate

winterizing is used when you use BHO extraction or making bubble hash-helps to remove the trichomes easily

Edited by joba
3 people like this

No need to winterize if you're eating it

Winterizing is removing the natural fats and waxes from the mix that hang around in your lungs for days after smoking/vaping and other unwanted side effects like making eliquid separate.

It's usually done by dissolving in ethanol and placing in the freezer for a few days where the fats and waxes congeal, then filtered to remove.

To evap at low temps, increase the surface area of the liquid and point a fan at the surface 

3 people like this

6 minutes ago, Hippie on hill said:

No need to winterize if you're eating it

Winterizing is removing the natural fats and waxes from the mix that hang around in your lungs for days after smoking/vaping and other unwanted side effects like making eliquid separate.

It's usually done by dissolving in ethanol and placing in the freezer for a few days where the fats and waxes congeal, then filtered to remove.

To evap at low temps, increase the surface area of the liquid and point a fan at the surface 

you are right I thought by winterizing he ment putting the material(bud not oil) prior to use in the freezer

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, bazil brush said:

i was going to try to make some oil using ethyl alcohol from eaby, its going to be consumed orally so do i really need to do the whole winterising thing? is it just for taste if its being smoked?

also, is there a sfae way of evaporating that doesnt involve heat, or maybe a little heat and an erlenmeyer flask? as i randomly have one lying round.

Winterizing is a technique by which a non polar extraction is dissolved into a polar solvent, and then the temperature dropped to cause the less soluble constituents to precipitate out. 

Fats, plant waxes, and lipids have low polarity, so because like prefers like, low polarity solvents like n-Butane at about a 1.8 dielectric constant, readily extract it, and it is relatively insoluble in high polarity solvents like water at around 80 dielectric constant.

The presumed dividing line for non polar and polar solvents, is around 15 DC, and 100% Ethanol has a DC of around 24.5, so is considered polar.  Isopropyl alcohol is also polar, but barely, with a DC of around 18.

The Sweet Mary's Charms that we typically covet are in the trichomes on the outside of the leaves and stems, and we would prefer to not extract those things inside the plant cells like water, C-40 beta-Carotene, C-55 Chlorophyll/Phenophylene, et al, which are protected by the plant wax layer.

There is a different wax coating the trichomes, which is more polar, and more able to expand and contain the trichomes as they fill and mature.

When extracting with polar Ethanol, the traditional way to not end up with the polar elements and longer chain hydrocarbons like fats, waxes, and lipids, is to freeze the material so that the water is contained as ice, and the plant waxes coating the leaves is even less soluble, leaving it in place to protect the ice inside the cells, which locks in the chlorophyll.

We traditionally have done a QWET (quick wash ethanol) extraction at around -18C/0F, freezing both the material and the Ethanol overnight.  We limit the first wash to 3 minutes, for highest quality, bragging rights extract.

We also chill the ethanol below -50C by dropping in dry ice and extract as long as 20 minutes without undue pickup of non targeted elements.

Now, after all this circumlocution, we get to my point, which is that if you use QWET or subzero ethanol extraction techniques, there is very little leaf plant wax extracted in the first place, and it protected the fats and lipids in the plant cells, so they aren't typically present either. 

What is present, are the more polar waxes coating the trichomes, and they may be removed by lowering the temperature sufficiently, and giving them time to precipitate.

The waxes are relatively inert and can be eaten, but are typically taken out to concentrate the material more.

Edited by Graywolf
Add
14 people like this

@Greywolf

Thanks for very informative posts,will try next run freezing both ,only do 4min wash

2 people like this

@Graywolf Hi, have seen a few of your knowledgeable posts around the boards. Are you the same Gray Wolf of Skunk Pharm Research or just a fan?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Graywolf said:

We also chill the ethanol below -50C by dropping in dry ice and extract as long as 20 minutes without undue pickup of non targeted elements.

do you mean 20 min wash?

i have helped my friend to do  BHO in enclosed system few times with dry ice never thought of using it with ethanol

1 person likes this

amazing graywolf thats what i was after.

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, Exhale said:

@Graywolf Hi, have seen a few of your knowledgeable posts around the boards. Are you the same Gray Wolf of Skunk Pharm Research or just a fan?

Same, same, except us Skunk Pharmers were  locked out of Skunk Pharm Research by our new partners and haven't contributed there since about July of 2017. 

4 people like this

20 hours ago, joba said:

do you mean 20 min wash?

i have helped my friend to do  BHO in enclosed system few times with dry ice never thought of using it with ethanol

Yes.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Graywolf said:

Same, same, except us Skunk Pharmers were  locked out of Skunk Pharm Research by our new partners and haven't contributed there since about July of 2017. 

any sort of political reasons?(if you don't mind me asking)

Edited by joba

Just now, Graywolf said:

Sounds like a horrible situation I'm sorry to hear.

It's nice to see you around here though trying to inspire by sharing your knowledge, rather than hoarding it for a buck!

2 people like this