Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

WeedSurfer

Open jar's daily when using Boveda?

I've just finished drying my White Widow. I jarred the driest buds after 4 days and then the rest after 7. The 7 day buds were a bit too dry so I've mixed them up with the 4 day stuff and loosely jarred the lot up in 1L jars with an 8g Boveda 62% in each.

Do you reckon I need to keep opening the jars daily? Or can they be left for a few days between as when I open them they absolutely stink the place out?

Cheers

I've not used boveda packs yet, so this is just a guess but I'd prob wait until after the first week, allow them time to start curing, then pop in the boveda pack to regulate the moisture.  In first week I'd carry on burping them daily - as you can smell they seem to require it.  I guess what I'm thinking is I wouldn't use the boveda for drying, only for curing.  Even then, I'd only use them if I was planning to store for a little while - if you are only filling a 1L jar, I doubt you would need them as you'd prob consume your herb faster than it would degrade?

Edit - just seen date, how did you get on?

Edited by unity
added stuff
1 person likes this

7 days is too quick and 4 days is virtually flash drying

You are supposed to dry it steady

Owd

4 people like this

I over dried my last lot due to my own foolishness, a few fresh leaves in each jar did wonders for adding moisture back and it was free!

4 people like this

On 18/01/2019 at 8:26 PM, WeedSurfer said:

I've just finished drying my White Widow. I jarred the driest buds after 4 days and then the rest after 7. The 7 day buds were a bit too dry so I've mixed them up with the 4 day stuff and loosely jarred the lot up in 1L jars with an 8g Boveda 62% in each.

Do you reckon I need to keep opening the jars daily? Or can they be left for a few days between as when I open them they absolutely stink the place out?

Cheers

what heat temp were you drying at.?

generally speaking, i go around 18-20 on the temps for about 2-3 wks with medium air replenishment and slight air movement over the plants every now and again

then chuck them into jars that you burb x2 a day first wk, then x1 a day for next couple of wks. Not written in stone but a general approach.

i use uncooked rice in my jars to absorb excess moister if needed, good and cheap too! 

2 people like this

Curing process permanently stops at 55%rh and can’t be restarted by adding moisture.. better a slow dry for this reason or it will dry unevenly with parts of the bud going below 55% rh before the rest is below 70%rh and ready for the jars.. I leave a hygrometer in the jar visible from the outside, if over 70%rh take out and air.. if under 70%rh then slowly burp it down to a steady 62%rh ready for cure.. maybe add a boveda at this point to keep it at 62%rh if stored long term, but I’d still let a bit of fresh air in occasionally to aid fermentation..

takes the guess work out of it putting a hygrometer in the jar.. and then no worry of overdrying or mould. :smokin:

Edited by Era

17 minutes ago, Era said:

Curing process permanently stops at 55%rh

Don't mind me asking, but where do you get your figures from bud?

38 minutes ago, unity said:

Don't mind me asking, but where do you get your figures from bud?

Have been doing this since watching a you tube video by a Cali med company.. it’s a full time job for one guy in a dark room full of jars with hygrometers in them.. I’d love that job :) have had good results with it since.. can’t find video now but this link describes the process in detail.. 

Edited by Owderb
Forum link removed
1 person likes this

@Owderb sorry.. was that not ok to post the link? I should read the rules.. didn’t realise.. won’t happen again :smokin: