Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arya89

Heat mats with soil

18 posts in this topic

Hello,

I believe over the winter I am going to have to try add some localised warmth to the roots and soil of my 2 plants. 

I have a selection of reptile still heating mats of different sizes. My plants will be in fabric 6.5l pots. I know the mats give off a gentle heat so they don’t damage reptiles, should I have the fabric pots directly on top of the mat so they can absorb the heat directly or is that going to be too much heat? Just trying find how close to the pots I can get the heat.

thansk for any advice

they'll warm an 11ltr pot of soil standing on a saucer well enough.

4 people like this

Maybe get a thermostat to use with them too Mate, stop the roots cooking :yinyang:

5 people like this

You could do a dummy run with just soil see what temps you get

3 people like this

yeah... I use Root It thermostatic control that has a probe in the soil... well worth the price for stable root temps.

6 people like this

Cheers people. Thermostat into soil and then some monitoring on a dry run. Sounds like a plan. 

Thanks

2 people like this

19 minutes ago, Arya89 said:

Cheers people. Thermostat into soil and then some monitoring on a dry run. Sounds like a plan. 

Thanks

I'd still keep a close eye on them for a while when you put plants in them, As the plants will be using water and drying the soil

1 person likes this

large.1BB4FA1D-AD6D-40D1-96E2-1648FC472295.jpeglarge.32856DE4-11C8-43EA-9D5E-D6DFA7C371A4.jpeg

i made my own for about £60 total works a treat

9 people like this

1 hour ago, crticalcontent said:

large.1BB4FA1D-AD6D-40D1-96E2-1648FC472295.jpeglarge.32856DE4-11C8-43EA-9D5E-D6DFA7C371A4.jpeg

i made my own for about £60 total works a treat

Nice, is that just a piece of hardboard you have them taped to?

2 hours ago, Arya89 said:

Nice, is that just a piece of hardboard you have them taped to?

large.A0F6A8BD-CF87-4B29-89CD-F0AB7C4BFD83.jpeg

looks like this in the tent. The heat wires are sandwiched in between two pieces of 6mm plywood. You can by underfloor heating kits from eBay or such by the m2 which includes thermostat and temp probe. 

Just put your tent liner over the top and jobs a gooden

Edited by crticalcontent
10 people like this

2 hours ago, crticalcontent said:

large.A0F6A8BD-CF87-4B29-89CD-F0AB7C4BFD83.jpeg

looks like this in the tent. The heat wires are sandwiched in between two pieces of 6mm plywood. You can by underfloor heating kits from eBay or such by the m2 which includes thermostat and temp probe. 

Just put your tent liner over the top and jobs a gooden

Thats genius, think I’m going to have a go at one of those. I think I’ve even found the same kit on Ebay looking at your thermostat. 

Can the probe go straight into the soil or just as close as possible? Sorry not stop questions. 

Edited by Arya89
Spelling mistake

15 hours ago, Arya89 said:

Thats genius, think I’m going to have a go at one of those. I think I’ve even found the same kit on Ebay looking at your thermostat. 

Can the probe go straight into the soil or just as close as possible? Sorry not stop questions. 

Yep straight in the soil mate. What I done was make a hole with a bamboo cane and then zip tie the probe to the cane and shove it near enough to the bottom of the pot. I found if the probe was towards the top of the pot it was getting crazy hot at the bottom which could cause problems. I leave it on 24/7 and it kicks in when it needs too.

all the best

CC

2 people like this

I use a timer with my heat Matt, 30mins on 30mins off (ish) throughout the day (depending on the weekly weather temps) in my shed gives me soil temps of between 20c - 23c.

I used a max/min thermometer with temp probe for a couple days to get the timer/temps right. Now I just leave the probe in and if the min or max temps get a bit high or low I just adjust the times slightly.

Not as easy as getting a thermostat control system but pretty simple to do if you only have a timer and Matt.:yep:

1 person likes this

On 07/11/2018 at 11:29 AM, Arya89 said:

My plants will be in fabric 6.5l pots.

Your fabric pots are going to be moist on the surface, that moisture is going to connect deep into the root ball, as the entire moisture in the rootball is interconnected, lose heat at the outer edge through evaporation / radiant heat loss and the entire rootball becomes a thermal gradient trying to equalise, this will take heat out of the rootball, cooling it. They may be great in the summer for the same reason but when you are fighting to maintain minimum temps you are just adding another variable to battle.

Wrap them in bubblewrap, replace them with plastic pots or drop them in polystyrene sleeves would be my advice. Basically you need a barrier around that wet outer face of the root ball to keep them snug

2 people like this

24 minutes ago, distracted said:

Wrap them in bubblewrap, replace them with plastic pots or drop them in polystyrene sleeves would be my advice. Basically you need a barrier around that wet outer face of the root ball to keep them snug

Yeah that makes sense, i think i will replace with plastic pots as they are not in the fabric ones yet. Maybe some bubble wrap for across the tops as well? Seen that in a few diaries. 

Thanks for the advice. Glad I joined here, already helped with the majority of my pre first grow nerves. 

2 people like this