Dehumidifier question.

Flamedodger

I’m using dehumidifier with a continuous drain and would like to set mine up like I used to draining to out the back of my shed. My shed is brick 1m then timber clad with upvc. I don’t like knocking holes out of the brick, so is there any benefit/detriment to popping a dehumidifier higher up than having it on the floor?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I believe humid air rises up indoors, Don't quote me on that one lol

But if true you should be ok to have the unit higher up, just makes sure it can't roll off what ever you use to hold it up 👍

Edited by Military Grade

@Military Grade that’s what I was thinking. Bloody thing has a very loud warning beep when the trough is full and just keeps going until you empty it. One less thing to think about 👍🏼 

• Like 1

Mine also has a loud beep but lucky stops after about 5-8 seconds, it sounds a bit like a reversing lorry beep but without the voice saying "This Dehumidifier Is Reversing" lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Mine goes on so long even the birds are mimicking it 🤣

• Haha 3

Most big grow ops in the US have their dehumidifiers up high so I guess it's all good:hippy:.

• Like 1

Maybe I misunderstood the OP, I thought you didn't want to hack a hole in the wall...if that's your point, don't!! Just whack it on a 90L bucket. Mine was on for weeks and the bucket was about 70% full. The extra height will be ideal for performance. :yep:

large.IMG_2254.jpg.c2a6cd1aae523b38416a0ddd898ea415.jpg

• Like 4

Do any of you keep your dehumidifier in your grow room?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, leafsta said:

Depends on the type of Dehumidifier, I personally wouldn't with a compressor one, as everytime it turns off you're left with a moist radiator in your grow space, I've noticed when mine turns back on it gives the initial humidity reading of the wet inside because air hasn't past throught it yet and the readings can sometimes be in the 80's, Then when it turns back on it's gonna dump all that right at your plants.

Maybe i'm over thinking it, But experiencing bud rot is enough to puts the woollies up most growers lol

Edited by Military Grade
Put has instead of hasn't
  • Like 3

I made a stand for mine with some 2x4 and ply just high enough to fit a plastic container underneath. If you look at cannacribs all those big ops in America the dehumidifiers are suspended from the ceiling.
If you put a small pump in the container like an nft type and run a hose from this going above the brickwork of your shed you can just turn the pump on to empty the tank. Mine takes a couple weeks to fill up. I put foam underneath the dehumidifier to minimise vibration. And make sure the container is fully sealed to stop moisture going back into the room. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, leafsta said:

Not unless it's big enough for you stand in there with your plants, otherwise treat the air in the lung room :hippy:

• Like 2

@leafsta No, I tried that and it just makes everything too warm. I have a compartment at the end of my shed.
@Slippy One good idea, I have exactly the same box spare, but not really permanent enough. I have some racking at the other end of the shed, I’ll sit it on top of that and drill a hole out the end.

My shed isn’t really a shed more a very well insulated and double glazed man cave 😁 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Flamedodger said:

I’m using dehumidifier with a continuous drain and would like to set mine up like I used to draining to out the back of my shed. My shed is brick 1m then timber clad with upvc. I don’t like knocking holes out of the brick, so is there any benefit/detriment to popping a dehumidifier higher up than having it on the floor?

Don't forget the holy grail of extracting outside the grow room.. I converted a sash window with a 6" hole in a sealed panel pressed up, so there can be non destructive solutions. I barely need the dehumidifier since doing this, barely gets above 60%, worst is like 68% rh which is fine for stopping rot. :yep:

29 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Don't forget the holy grail of extracting outside the grow room.. I converted a sash window with a 6" hole in a sealed panel pressed up, so there can be non destructive solutions. I barely need the dehumidifier since doing this, barely gets above 60%, worst is like 68% rh which is fine for stopping rot. :yep:

large.76058B09-5A5E-4EF6-AD5C-84D455D5D944.jpeg.925b36b2fbdba0db3791b2361b4f8dad.jpeg

Straight to outside 😎

• Like 1
  • WOW 1

On 08/05/2024 at 07:42, MindSoup said:

Not unless it's big enough for you stand in there with your plants, otherwise treat the air in the lung room :hippy:

Yes my room is around 2.2m high and my intake is at high level, so I was thinking of putting the dehumidifier up high close to the intake duct, and then using a hose from the dehumidifier to take the water continuously out of the room... Does that sound suitable?