Hermies and seeds

Stallion

Iv done a good amount of grows now so fairly experienced.

Recently i have been plagued by hermies and seedy buds.

Last year i fucked up and let my girl grow way too tall for my room and my hps burnt them which caused my first hermie. Gave the tent a real good clean and did another which was okay not my best, but no hermie.

Im w5 of my current grow and spotted a hermie last week. I wipped it out but its too late and has pollunated all my plants.

Now i know hermies can be caused with stress and they can be caused by genetics. All my grows apart from the first 2 have been with cheap fem seeds.

I deffinatly havent stressed the girls on this grow. The only stressful thing i done this time was a topping in veg. Little pruning in esrly flower. My first few grows i stressed them to fuck but no hermies with over/under watering. Snapped stems and burnt leaves but still no hermies.

Is it the cheap seeds that are causing my hermies or is it mainly the stress? I havent had experience with some expensive seeds from a reputable seed bank. This whole hermie experience has knocked my confindence. I would rather use cuttings but its hard to find someone to supply me them.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Edited: Sorry misread

I think it's a lottery mate, some expensive seeds can still herm, Can be down to the genetics involved being more prone to herm from certain types or stresses or just bad breeding.

Edited by Military Grade

My cousin cleaned his tent one time and his next 2 grows produced hermies. It was only on the third he noticed he had opened one of the vents at the back of the tent to help it dry, but hadnt closed it again. Double check everything to make sure youve closed all your vents and youve no light leaks cause its easy done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

@Scroggersean  reminds me of all the times I forgot to turn my light back after doing something :doh: Lol

Edited by Military Grade
spelling

4 hours ago, Stallion said:

Little pruning in esrly flower.

I wouldn’t do any pruning until plants have done 3 weeks of 12/12.

Doing so before this time can sometimes cause a self preservation reaction of producing male flowers.

Some seed producers are more interested in keeping up with the hype varieties,

rather than making sure their genetics are stable before releasing them 🙈🙉🙊

Atb

☯️

• Like 2

I had to break this golden rule this time round, has left me nervous tho especially with a strain with Blueberry in the name lol , I think Blueberry wasn't used for it tho 🤞

Posted (edited)

This is how much i hacked away 😱

large.20240508_011510.jpg.81f4bac0fd1125af34fb9285bf5891a9.jpg

large.20240508_011541.jpg.59e2be2528ec1fb250442562b9615e3f.jpg

This grow went on for longer than expected before i was in a position to flip to flower due to the Wardrobe build, a lot needed to come off, If they get throught the next two weeks without herming i should be in the clear 🤞

This grow is a mix of average priced seeds and a freebie seed, I'll see how they all react👍

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

Shouldn’t be too hard to spot any dodgy bits on those! 

• Like 1

How long do hermies take to show after a bit of stress ? 

• Like 1

@Bulldogbill91 From known stress I'd say at a rought guess about a week so they would be fully noticeable.

But I've noticed if a plant herms naturally without any major stresses being the cause, it tends to happen between week 3-5 of flower give of take.

This all from limited observations as luckly I've only had a few herms (about 5) since growing.

• Like 1

@Military Grade I'll keep eye on em then hopefully they don't come back. Can lack of light to the lowers cause herm?

• Like 1

I've had a nightmare with Hermies too....first time round I blamed myself (I found quite a big light leak) but this time round happened again so out of 6 I threw 3 away and 1 of the remaining 3 is seeded. Good job I learnt to make bubble hash as this grow will be going the same way - still quite frustrating though. My best grow was from a pack of subbie seeds so I'm back to them for my next one

• Like 1