Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Kipper420

Dahlia storage

So this is my first time trying to grow dahlias. The garden centre where giving them away if you spent yay much.

Grown in a container.

Now it's that time of year to store them but I'm weary.

I cut all 3 down and removed from the compost from around the rhizomes and for now they are resting in the empty pot in the greenhouse.

im hoping they just dry out like that.

Any experienced growers care to share what you do with yours.

I'd appreciate some advice. 

Cheers

Really depends how cold your garden id. I once bought a shitload of Dahlias and dug them out and stored in a dark, protected from frost place. Planted the again the next year as stipulated, with tubers that have eyes etc, removed the dangling ones. Did one come back?.... Did it fuck. Got one year out the fuckers. Were spectacular but fuck knows what I did wrong. Good luck with them.

1 person likes this

I'd leave them in the dry compost. As a child I remember wrapping them individually with paper but for the last couple of years left them in the pots, under a table. Won't go mouldy if their dry. Me gran called them "Dalys". 

2 people like this

I used to wrap them in newspaper and store in a dry place. I'd lose about 25% but then I could split the larger tubers and get the same number of plants for next year.

1 person likes this

53 minutes ago, bearukc said:

I'd lose about 25% but then I could split the larger tubers and get the same number of plants for next year.

Intresting. I dont think I have enough tubers to split it yet. Probably about a dozen on one plant the other is much smaller, half the size and number.

A couple of tubers broke off when i removed the compost from the roots. Do these count as a split, that would grow again next year?

I did get the chance to watch gardeners world from last night. Monty said to cover them in used compost and not let the tubers completely dry out.

I'm not short of used compost right now, So I followed his advice for now.

Montys dogs though.

1 person likes this

I dig mine, leave plenty of soil on them for the time being, leave them in a dry cool place. Almost every tuber will grow another if its healthy and with no special treatment whatsoever are often good to be stored for two years. 

Zero messing, just dig up the clump, shake excess soil off, leave in garage or wherever till your ready. 

I found much of the advice for dahlias to be excessive and they are very hardy storage wise

e2a on a side note, depending on where you are, they arent as sensitive when left out as people think.  I left a load out over winter this year and it was a bad one as you know and most have come back, albeit with reduced vigour and came up late, much like begonias, they are better started at the gardeners will rather than mother natures for a good show

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
2 people like this

I leave mine in until the first good frost knocks the tops back a bit, then I fork them out, shake the soil off  place in ex mushroom trays, cut the tops back to about a 100mm fill the tray with dry peat to cover tubers, put in the garage and forget about until the spring.

Never lost one in all my years.

We had a frost his morning, grass was white in the shade until midday, the Dahlia's were still looking fine this afternoon.

2 people like this

Thanks Oldtimer.

appreciated.  I can't wait to reset them next year. I've learnt a lesson. Bigger pot next time. Good drainage.

The one bloom I did get was a wonderful White with purple bases.

Roll on.

1 person likes this