Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mrjim

My Woodwork

67 posts in this topic

* Inspired by Captain Bonglington's woodwork thread, Cheers! *

So here's the first....

large.20180205_124109.jpg

A little mahogany and Indian oak band saw box, hand sanded and finished with two coats of Danish oil.

21 people like this

Another band saw box, this time made from a poplar log.

large.20180205_123851.jpg

18 people like this

Hand carved mushroom from a laburnum log, one of my favourites! The first thing I carved.

large.20180205_123836.jpg

12 people like this

Simply beautiful.  That first piece combines functionality and aesthetics perfectly.  I bet it's ergonomic too.  Amazing work   inspired.  Danish oil is such a tasteful finish too.  Nice mate.

Very nice.

2 people like this

WOW you got some skills bro. :notworthy:

3 people like this

5 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Simply beautiful.  That first piece combines functionality and aesthetics perfectly.  I bet it's ergonomic too.  Amazing work   inspired.  Danish oil is such a tasteful finish too.  Nice mate.

Very nice.

Thank you very much! Always nice to have work appreciated.

I look forward to sharing more of my work with you all.

Please do.

;)

1 person likes this

A bit of craft makes Sunday smoother....

1 person likes this

wow  that drawer in a log is stunning ..... i wish i  had your skills mate

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Table mat and drinks coasters cut from yew tree logs.

large.20160619_123529.jpglarge.20160619_123359.jpg

Edited by mrjim
Grammar
15 people like this

This one is a coffee table made from Indian oak. This wood came from a job a couple of years ago, the wood is actually crate wood direcct from India that was carrying Indian sandstone paving.

I have one of the 3'x2' paving slabs to use as a table top using more of the oak for the legs and surround at some point in the future!

Annoyingly the timber has shrunk a bit since these photos were taken, leaving gaps in the top. I'm going to get some resin to fill and finish it. 

large.20160717_161448.jpglarge.20160717_161523.jpglarge.20160717_161539.jpg

21 people like this

These look very nice. As a wood lover myself, I'm curious to know how much time you dedicate to these pieces/woodwork in general, where you source your wood from, what sort of joints and fixings you use etc? I reckon you could get good money for those types of tables if you used bridle joints on the corners instead of screws and some tung oil to finish.:hippy:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Wait....are they screws? Or is that just the wood? And by bridle I meant mitred bridle, not sure if that was a given.

Edited by SevernValleySavant
1 person likes this

Outstanding work MrJim. :notworthy: 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, SevernValleySavant said:

These look very nice. As a wood lover myself, I'm curious to know how much time you dedicate to these pieces/woodwork in general, where you source your wood from, what sort of joints and fixings you use etc? I reckon you could get good money for those types of tables if you used bridle joints on the corners instead of screws and some tung oil to finish.:hippy:

2 hours ago, Saddam said:

Outstanding work MrJim. :notworthy: 

Thank you! 

As for time, as much as possible but not as much as I would like! I don't make anything specifically to sell, I just make whatever I think will look good with the wood I have and if I'm able to sell it I consider it a bonus.

All of the wood and logs I use come from building jobs I have worked on, just scrap wood that needed to be removed or trees that had to be felled.

Fixings wise everything is glued and dowelled with the occasional nail if needed (the planks on the table top are secret nailed) The bits you mention that look like screw holes are just the old nail holes in the timber from its original use, I try to avoid using screws as I prefer more traditional ways!

3 people like this