Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


mrlizard

In line fan/filter ventilation newbie

22 posts in this topic

Hi all

Fans and filters question. Apologies but these things can get very pricey(phresh/mountain air) and my first grow may be failure so I'd rather not go premium unless I find noise or smell is unbearable. Longer term, I will go for a premium fan as I know those Phresh fans are really low wattage and apparently will pay for themselves in electricity savings.

Grow tent is 1m*1m*2m high with filtered intake flap at back and 3 further holes, 1 at the bottom, 2 at the top (roof and side). Using CFL for babies and LED for Veg and Flower.

I calculate 3.3 * 3.3 * 6.6 = 71 cubit feet + 25% for filter = 89cfm cubic feet per min.

I watched a video from a shop selling phresh suggesting 300cfm ish fan with filter around 400cfm rated.

In the meantime, while I'm still on CFL with babies, I've clipped a little RAM fan (pic below) to the top of the tent, pointing at a wide open exhaust hole and it is pulling smoke through the intake flap at the bottom which will do for now.

 

Saw the below for £48.99 at a well know DIY store rated at 245 m3/hr which is 4.08 m3/min which is 144cfm.

That's quiet a way off 300cfm but it is more than my 89cfm calculation above and the fan is two speed so I could switch to low speed if it is noisy.

 

  • Anyone got experience with using this particular fan below or similar in a grow tent my size, in terms of noise and extraction?
  • What size rhino pro or similar price/quality would you recommend to hook up with this and 4/5 plants?
  • I'll be running about 2.5m of ducting to the window and I know length/bends are to be kept to a minimum. It's in a box room and I don't want to commit to venting into the loft until I know the smell is controllable (semi detached, smells could drift into next doors loft)
  • How noisy is 24dBA at 3m? I live in a small 1990's cardboard house and my grow room is adjacent to next door in the back room plus there is a noisy main road and industrial site nearby which helps drown out noise. Next door sleeps at the front of the house so I think I can tolerate a little bit of noise in the house. The clip on fan I have is quiet, but my vent axia for the bathroom, fitted 11 years ago with standard non insulated ducting is noisy.

 

 

MANROSE MF100 25W 100MM MIXED FLOW FAN (26867)

 

  • Extraction Rate 245m³/hr
  • Noise Level 24dBA at 3m
  • 3 Year Manufacturer's Guarantee (T&Cs Apply)
  • Standard
  • Profile Depth: 262mm
  • Ball Bearing Motor
  • 2-Speed Settings

 

Brand

Manrose
Construction Material (Heating) ABS Plastic
Extraction Rate 245 m³/hr
Finish Matt
Fixings Supplied Fixings Supplied
IP Rating IPX4
Manufacturer Guarantee 3 Year Manufacturer's Guarantee (T&Cs Apply)
Model No MF100
Mount Type In-Line Loft or Ceiling-Mounted
Pack Size 1
Pieces in Pack/Case 1
Power Output (Watts/Kw) 33 W
Power Voltage Supply 240 V
Product Diameter 100 mm
Product Height 191 mm
Product Type 100mm Mixed Flow Fan
Product Width 168 mm
Switch Type

Standard

 

Got this and it is really quiet. No idea how close to 24dba that is.

 

ram_150mm_clip_on_fan_6_inch.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

dont underestimate the stink that comes from flowering plants, even plants that are vegging still stink, so what you need is a 5" ruck or systemair high power fan with a 5" rhino pro carbon filter,

a full kit will cost about £140-£150, you may baulk at the price but what price do you put on having piece of mind when growing as failing to use a decent fan & filter can lead to a world of hurt,

you can either get robbed by the boys in blue or a couple of scumbags might threaten your life & all for the sake of £150.

 

e2a- avoid those ram clip on fans are shite as the blades slip off the spindle if the fans pointed downwards, total crap fans.

Edited by Joint hogger
6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
On 06/05/2018 at 7:06 PM, Joint hogger said:

dont underestimate the stink that comes from flowering plants, even plants that are vegging still stink, so what you need is a 5" ruck or systemair high power fan with a 5" rhino pro carbon filter,

a full kit will cost about £140-£150, you may baulk at the price but what price do you put on having piece of mind when growing as failing to use a decent fan & filter can lead to a world of hurt,

you can either get robbed by the boys in blue or a couple of scumbags might threaten your life & all for the sake of £150.

 

e2a- avoid those ram clip on fans are shite as the blades slip off the spindle if the fans pointed downwards, total crap fans.

 

Thanks for your advice. I'm not gonna skimp, just don't wanna go over board.

Been looking at ruck and I think they are rebranded as CAN for the grow market. Ruck takes me to an industrial website with lots of black and yellow v expensive fans. I also see a lot of chat with rvk, also german so I put that on my shortlist. I know I don't need 6 inch but I think I might get a quieter solution if I pair it up with a variac.

 

Have you got a link handy for one of these ruck fans at a reputable supplier that doesn't sell fakes? I see some marketed as ruck/rvk on ebay which is confusing as that is two brands. I can find CAN fans no probs.

 

Plan of attack. Get the fan, accoustic ducting and carbon filter. Wire up as is and experiment with home made plywood box to quieten down the fan. 

Then look at getting a variac controller to drop the fan speed at night if I'm not happy with the noise and hopefully get all this done before my plants get big and smelly. They're only 3 inch at the moment. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

I grow in 1x1x2 tent.....I use an 8 inch ruck/rvk whatever they are (kept in the box it came in and filled it with acoustic foam) and an 8inch/500mm rhino pro (upgrading to the mountain air 200/1000 next) coupled with a speed controller.

 

(be careful if you acoustic the fan in this way tho as I crushed a rvk putting too much foam in once lollol if you search on the site you will find a post by potatoe that shows how this is done)

 

The reason I do this is the draw on the filter and fan....I am never even getting close to half the max rating (airflow) for the filter so extends its life span considerably as well as killing smells.

(the fans are cheaper than a sodding great filter so Id rather extend the filters life than the fan - saying that my RVK has been going for close to 5 years now non stop at 30 - 50% power)

 

Oversizing the fan and extraction in this way means I can run the fan at 30% as the filter is not restricting airflow..... instead of a 5inch (or smaller) screaming its guts out pulling on a tiny filter making shit loads of noise.....The sound difference is a LOT believe me (IMO) and if stealth is your game go down this route.

 

It also allows for turning it up during those pesky summer days we occasionally get when it hits 30 celsius.

 

As @Joint hogger says....do you really want to find out that your extraction is not up to scratch by the po po or some heavy gang that will rob your house as well ?

 

 

Edited by zen-ken
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

The new EC fans are perfect for this but at $500 each they are going to have to come down a lot in price before I can buy one lol

(manufacture decibel ratings are pure shite IMO...ask guys on here instead about the noise levels - I have a medo 45 air pump and a charles austin linear.... just as an example ....when not connected you can hear it in the next street....when connected through water its as quite as a gnats chuff....45 db is bollox and the austin is louder even tho they claim it has a lower DB rating....it bearly makes any noise when connected but vibrates like hell...which can cause humming.... sorted with rubber :yep:

Edited by zen-ken

Share this post


Link to post

ruck & rvk is two separate companies, but they both make good reliable fans, as you mentioned that you were struggling to find ruck fans,

thats because they have moved their brand away from the indoor grow hobbyist & started a new brand to sell rebranded fans as can fans,

so if your struggling with finding detailed info, look at the german ruck site, also, just to point out, systemair also make the rvk fans.

you can find the systemairs at Grow & harvest, theirs a limk at the top of the page.

 

as for building a variac controller, if your only planning on running a 5" fan, then get a 1A variac if you can, though if you plan to run something bigger,

then get a 2A variac, fraid I cant really recommend any where specific about the variacs as the two places I got mine from have stopped selling them.

 

another thing that will help is that you use solid plastic ducting between your filter & fan (run at least 12" between them) & use the acoustic ducting

going out from your fan, the main reasons being is that acoustic ducting can be a bitch if you dont seal the ends properly (there's three layers,

inner ducting with holes, sound absorber & outer ducting), you can get the solid ducting quite cheap from screwfix or similar stores, also, if you get a 5"

plastic duct connector, it makes it so much easier if you attach it to the acoustic ducting before you hook it up to your fan.

 

gallery_36349_2174_74877.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

@Joint hoggerI grow in 1x1x2 tent.....(upgrading to the mountain air 200/1000 next)

 

 

thats a bloody big filter to fit in your tent mate.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Joint hogger said:

 

thats a bloody big filter to fit in your tent mate.

 

Yeah baby...I should just get it in tho....I use a grostar (cant afford to upgrade to CMH and decent shade just yet but I will do after reading your continued (and very informative) comments in the lighting section - a great resource @mrlizard if you have not read it yet.... please do....its a master class in lighting).

 

I am going to upgrade my old Ruck for one of those spank me EC fans..... as I understand when I under-power it will use a lot less juice.....Am I right in thinking that even using the 5amp stepped beast transformer I have (from the 90's) I am still using the full watt rating of then fan whatever speed I have it set at (ie 30%...still using 100% of fans wattage?)

 

Sorry to hijack your post mrlizard but I am addicted to canna knowledge and these guys have what I need :yep:

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

I grow in 1x1x2 tent.....I use an 8 inch ruck/rvk whatever they are (kept in the box it came in and filled it with acoustic foam) and an 8inch/500mm rhino pro (upgrading to the mountain air 200/1000 next) coupled with a speed controller.

 

(be careful if you acoustic the fan in this way tho as I crushed a rvk putting too much foam in once lollol if you search on the site you will find a post by potatoe that shows how this is done)

 

The reason I do this is the draw on the filter and fan....I am never even getting close to half the max rating (airflow) for the filter so extends its life span considerably as well as killing smells.

(the fans are cheaper than a sodding great filter so Id rather extend the filters life than the fan - saying that my RVK has been going for close to 5 years now non stop at 30 - 50% power)

 

Oversizing the fan and extraction in this way means I can run the fan at 30% as the filter is not restricting airflow..... instead of a 5inch (or smaller) screaming its guts out pulling on a tiny filter making shit loads of noise.....The sound difference is a LOT believe me (IMO) and if stealth is your game go down this route.

 

It also allows for turning it up during those pesky summer days we occasionally get when it hits 30 celsius.

 

As @Joint hogger says....do you really want to find out that your extraction is not up to scratch by the po po or some heavy gang that will rob your house as well ?

 

 

Looking seriously at oversizing. Noise and stealth is becoming a priority. Thanks for the tips. It really helps when you know what combination of stuff works well. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

just asking @mrlizard but if you haven't got the 1m tent yet, could you squeeze in a 1.2m tent ?

 

the reason I'm asking is that I've been growing in 0.9m & 1m tents for years but only recently tried a 1.2m tent &

the size difference doesn't look like much on paper but once your inside it, its like dr who's tardis  lol

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

ruck & rvk is two separate companies, but they both make good reliable fans, as you mentioned that you were struggling to find ruck fans,

thats because they have moved their brand away from the indoor grow hobbyist & started a new brand to sell rebranded fans as can fans,

so if your struggling with finding detailed info, look at the german ruck site, also, just to point out, systemair also make the rvk fans.

you can find the systemairs at Grow & harvest, theirs a limk at the top of the page.

 

as for building a variac controller, if your only planning on running a 5" fan, then get a 1A variac if you can, though if you plan to run something bigger,

then get a 2A variac, fraid I cant really recommend any where specific about the variacs as the two places I got mine from have stopped selling them.

 

another thing that will help is that you use solid plastic ducting between your filter & fan (run at least 12" between them) & use the acoustic ducting

going out from your fan, the main reasons being is that acoustic ducting can be a bitch if you dont seal the ends properly (there's three layers,

inner ducting with holes, sound absorber & outer ducting), you can get the solid ducting quite cheap from screwfix or similar stores, also, if you get a 5"

plastic duct connector, it makes it so much easier if you attach it to the acoustic ducting before you hook it up to your fan.

 

gallery_36349_2174_74877.jpg

Interesting approach with the plastic ducting. Will give it a try. Have you got any pics of the positioning in a small tent? I'm actually struggling to find a ruck retailer but I'll look at CAN instead. Much much appreciated mate.

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

Like most people before they join UK420 and seek the advice of the site..... I found out a lot of information the hard and very expensive way....trail and a lot of error

 

Now I listen to the more experienced guys (like joint hogger etc) that know their shit and have used said equipment. (like the lighting thread)

 

Most times (IMO) it is just better to pony up the doe for the more expensive set up as you end up doing it anyway.  (if you see this as a long term project)

 

Bluelab E.C truncheons are a prime example of this (IMO)....buy a cheap one my mate said 'you dont need a bluelab'.....not a fucking chance says I

 

My last bluelab was 10 years old I think.....got a new one....pointless....the old one was reading perfect still.

 

In this time my mate has brought 4 cheap chinese knockoffs (@$40 each) and still ended up getting the bluelab....I may have spent $70 in the beginning.....but over the years of lost yield, replacing the shite pens and getting the new one anyway the cost was stupid in comparison.  

 

Was writing this when the next post came up but so, so agree with joint hogger.....my mates 1.2 feels like its huge compared to my 1x1 but my space meant it was all I could get in.

I would go 1.2 all day long if I could...leaves space for all the toys I like to put in :yep:

 

 

Edited by zen-ken
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

just asking @mrlizard but if you haven't got the 1m tent yet, could you squeeze in a 1.2m tent ?

 

the reason I'm asking is that I've been growing in 0.9m & 1m tents for years but only recently tried a 1.2m tent &

the size difference doesn't look like much on paper but once your inside it, its like dr who's tardis  lol

I've already got the tent and my babies are 3 inch tall. So it's gonna be a race against time now :) I'll wanna get a few grows out of this one before I change. It's quite funny. I'm in my box room/office, pinned up against my office table by the tent, so I can't really accommodate any more in size. Fricking new build houses and their tiny rooms.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, mrlizard said:

Interesting approach with the plastic ducting. Will give it a try. Have you got any pics of the positioning in a small tent?

 

 

lol

 

I wanted to move my 5" ruck fan outside the tent as I was using a 80cm parabolic reflector at the time & wanted to free up some head room so I got some 5" solid pipe, 5" metal elbow & decent gaffa tape & rigged this to the 5" rhino pro filter.

 

gallery_36349_2174_52386.jpg   gallery_36349_2174_159344.jpg

 

on the other end of the elbow, I added another few inches of the 5" duct pipe so the 5" duct coupler would fit straight on, making it easier to fit the ducting, its normally a pain in the arse trying to fit ducting with the fan & filter in situ. 

 

gallery_36349_2174_137378.jpg   gallery_36349_2174_79958.jpg

 

here's the filter & solid ducting held in place with good bungee cords & the other pic is the ducting coming out the tent.

 

gallery_36349_2174_79798.jpg   gallery_36349_2174_226338.jpg

 

this is how it looked connected up to the cheapo ducting but I wasn't happy with the connection so decided to add another 90' elbow & sealed all the joins with silver ducting tape.

 

gallery_36349_2174_83154.jpg   gallery_36349_2174_11582.jpg

 

here's how it looks now connected to acoustic ducting going to my 5" ruck L1 fan.

 

gallery_36349_2174_133607.jpg   gallery_36349_2174_50527.jpg

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

 

 

lol

 

I wanted to move my 5" ruck fan outside the tent as I was using a 80cm parabolic reflector at the time & wanted to free up some head room so I got some 5" solid pipe, 5" metal elbow & decent gaffa tape & rigged this to the 5" rhino pro filter.

 

gallery_36349_2174_52386.jpg   gallery_36349_2174_159344.jpg

 

on the other end of the elbow, I added another few inches of the 5" duct pipe so the 5" duct coupler would fit straight on, making it easier to fit the ducting, its normally a pain in the arse trying to fit ducting with the fan & filter in situ. 

 

gallery_36349_2174_137378.jpg   gallery_36349_2174_79958.jpg

 

here's the filter & solid ducting held in place with good bungee cords & the other pic is the ducting coming out the tent.

 

gallery_36349_2174_79798.jpg   gallery_36349_2174_226338.jpg

 

this is how it looked connected up to the cheapo ducting but I wasn't happy with the connection so decided to add another 90' elbow & sealed all the joins with silver ducting tape.

 

gallery_36349_2174_83154.jpg   gallery_36349_2174_11582.jpg

 

here's how it looks now connected to acoustic ducting going to my 5" ruck L1 fan.

 

gallery_36349_2174_133607.jpg   gallery_36349_2174_50527.jpg

That's brilliant. Looks like an exhaust mod for a truck. Seriously, that is a massive help. The Screwfix man is gonna know exactly what I'm up to when I visit him :) Hope to keep in touch mate. I'll update this thread in the next couple of weeks with my implementation of this solution

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now