Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Comrade Stoker

Cauliflower Steaks

30 posts in this topic
10 minutes ago, ramblingmadman said:

Cabbage slices/"steaks" are also popular in this house. Finished with lemon salt pepper and oil.

A great pasta sauce is roasted cauliflower florets with a little chilli and seasoning mixed with kale and cooked cauliflower puree. Add some hazels or pine nuts, kale will wilt in heat of sauce and pasta. 

If you want more crunch (different type) you can add fried breadcrumbs .

I prefer this without cheese, others here prefer with.

Got a link for that veggy "bacon" @Ital

INGREDIENTS

• 1 medium eggplant
  • 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke
  • Freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 300°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Cut eggplant in quarters, lengthwise. Slice each quarter into long, thin strips.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, soy sauce, maple syrup, paprika, and liquid smoke.
  4. Place eggplant slices onto baking sheets and brush both sides with sauce. Season with pepper.
  5. Bake until eggplant is cooked through and beginning to get crisp, 45-50 minutes.

2 hours ago, Ital said:

@ Ratdog - you know I'm not talking slicing cauliflower. 

Sorry, wasn`t that clear

13 hours ago, Ital said:

it's big the whole cauliflower meat substitute

Sorry @Ital if I come off as an ass but the food fad thing gets on my tit, every vegetable does the rounds eventually one way or another, then round again

I`ll be honest, I eat cauli on average 2-3 times a week, love it, I used to use it as a potato substitute, used to mash it with broccoli and parsley sauce,  but always had fish with it. That was a long time ago, never saw it as a protein replacement though

Edited by ratdog

27 minutes ago, ratdog said:

Sorry, wasn`t that clear

Sorry @Ital if I come off as an ass but the food fad thing gets on my tit, every vegetable does the rounds eventually one way or another, then round again

I`ll be honest, I eat cauli on average 2-3 times a week, love it, I used to use it as a potato substitute, used to mash it with broccoli and parsley sauce,  but always had fish with it. That was a long time ago, never saw it as a protein replacement though

No worries at all. I've seen the photos  of the caulis you have grow and any time I've grown them they're so much tastier than anything I bought :)

2 people like this

Those recipes sound delicious. I'm not a vegetarian but I lived with my sister for a year, and she's vegan - she'd do all the cooking and I loved it. I have to say vegetarian/vegan food is actually fucking delicious when you know what you're doing. Might try that cauliflower thing, maybe sans kale @ramblingmadman

1 person likes this

On 2/18/2018 at 10:06 PM, THC4METOO said:

How can it even be called a cauliflower steak though, its just a fucking slice, but you can't charge silly money or mug people off by calling them a cauliflower slice.

I'm gonna start removing the hard bit inside a parsnip, slice it thin and call it parsnip bacon, then sell it to muggy hipsters in Shorditch in an artisinal paisley and seaweed roll, with mohair ketchup and dust salad for 9 quid a pop. 

Tell you what though, I've just started working back in Central London recently, after a period of not having to go into town for work. Fuck, its unreal. I went to Eat yesterday morning and because I've got long days at moment, I've been grabbing food where I can. I got cheese on toast and a cup of coffee. The cheese on toast was sliced white bread, with cheese and Marmite. It was £5.50 for the coffee and the cheese on toast. Im doing packed lunches now, I can eat like a fucking king for £5.50 with a packed lunch.

1 person likes this

Its the price of convenience isn't it mate, but getting up half an hour a day earlier to make lunch could probably save you enough for a nice holiday every year. How convenient is that now? 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, THC4METOO said:

Its the price of convenience isn't it mate, but getting up half an hour a day earlier to make lunch could probably save you enough for a nice holiday every year. How convenient is that now? 

Half hour? I make my sandwich in about 3 minutes lol all you need to do is plan ahead buy sandwich fillings, crisps and can of pop for each day. I worked it out costs me arround 80p a day for lunch.

@nl5 yeah but its the comrades lunch, once he gets the rosemary and quinoa sourdough loaf freshly baked in his Arga he'll barely have time to get the lid off his sauerkraut with organic air jam:rofl:

5 people like this

1 hour ago, Comrade Stoker said:

I can eat like a fucking king for £5.50 with a packed lunch.

I can feed the whole royal bloody family for that money........oooh boy, would I like to........:naughty:  :puke:

:rofl:

Foods cheap on your van then is it stu?

Gotta be to shift it, i guess....

lollol

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, stu914 said:

I can feed the whole royal bloody family for that money........oooh boy, would I like to........:naughty:  :puke:

:rofl:

4:99 lol Tomcat-Rat-Poison-1.jpg?w=612

2 people like this

Certainly is, laughing all the way to the bank, especially today when I find out the prat across the street is charging up to 1/3 more than me for an inferior product,

It became even funnier when I 'shifted' all my stock on to his customers........you must be psychic bud.......:rofl:

1 person likes this

My favourite cauliflower steak is baked in the oven with a tin foil seal in a marinade of tamari, crushed garlic, maple syrup, oil and some paprika. Then when the thick stem part is cooked enough (40min or so) into the frying pan to charr and up those steak and let that marinade stick to them. You can also use that left over marinade to make an amazing vegan peppercorn sauce with some brandy and non dairy cream. Serve with thick chips and onion rings. Delightful.

I've tried cauliflower pizza bases...

Farmer

Yeah my mate made me cauliflower tortillas from cauliflower snow and egg whites.  They were awesome.

I've also been roasting tenderstem broccoli and kale.

Sautéed cauliflower snow with nutmeg and cumin is a winner for baked cod or scallops....