Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hugh Jass

Many questions about hash...

So I just get some dried buds and rub them over a silk screen to make hash right?

How do I make a blonde hash? Like the "slate" we used to get when we were all younger. I want to make a better quality but would like to keep the colour.

Or is the colour down to the fact there is just more plant material in it? Or not manipulated or something?

The hash's I have now are all dark brown like an oak wood. 

I have even tried adding QWISO oil to my hash to make "squidgy" hash. This is fun! I tried it at 10% and that worked out quite well.

Is there any specific sizes of the silk screen I should try and buy to make hash? A screen printer would have what I need right? 

Any tips or suggestions would be gratefully received.

2 people like this

@Hugh Jass

Some screens I knocked up for a test bud and served me tidy but small and need bigger ones if you're planning on doing it regularly :yep:

medium.58f1f6022facf_A4SiftScreens-150Mi

medium.58f1f5f511705_A4SiftScreens-150Mi

I bought the mesh of the internet, two sizes - 150 Micron and 73 Micron and then stapled then to frames constructed of some old batten I'd ripped out from a job somewhere/

Does the job fine for little amounts but all different sizes of mesh are available (got mine from the place that's a river) and used them a couple of times.

medium.58f8cc4588d99_BKCBDIPCBDCMFVGPFVI

e2a The mesh btw is metal :yep:

Edited by botanics
6 people like this

He said the screen is mental...

;)

6 people like this

Well all hash darkens with age.  It's just oxidation, starting on the outer most surfaces and very slowly inward.

I don't know for certain but I understand production involved dry sifting and separating into grades much in the same way modern bubble bags do for us. The best grade was designated 0-0 iirc. The fella who told me said that all export hash even if not adulterated was "lower grade".  And his version attributed the lighter/blond colour of some hashish to the higher percentage of smaller immature trichomes.  Which kinda made sense when you think of the dark amber bulbous headed trichs on a well cooked 9 weaker too the clearer sometimes yellowy headless hairs on the same plant a cpl of weeks earlier..

I'm pretty sure it was partly down to a lighter pressing technique as well. Heavier pressing ruptures the trichomes speeding the oxidation (?)process....

Take with tuppence for now mind

14 people like this

I have asked exactly this question to a hash making "guru", who was answering questions on hash making at the time.  He answered that it was the strain that dictated the colour of hash, whether it was blonde, brown or black or red.

I expressed a little surprise at his answer but he was quite insistent that this was the case.  As said above the grade must have some role to play but I think I see his point.

Edited by Bird
6 people like this

yes @bird. its strain dependant on what color it is, and at what time the plant was harvested at has a difference in the color too

like a nirvana aurora indica i used at 9 and a half weeks flower ,made jet black bubble hash

and the same strain took at week 7 of flower ,due to mites, gave a superb blonde hash,that was real soft like the old blonde we used to get in the early 90s.:yinyang: slight diff in the high too 

6 people like this

resin grown outdoors under the sun will be browner /darker than indoor maybe 

1 person likes this

Quality Hash.....start with good material and don't be to abrasive when getting the trich's off with a sift box. I use one called budbox the gentailer your are the better the hash should be. Certain types of cannabis plant will produce great hash just has to have a high THC content and I bet grown in the great out door will make a hugh difference to.

Edited by Percygrower_420
1 person likes this

Makes obvious sense to me, now you guys have explained it.

The colour comes from the trichcome heads and if I have harvested when it is amber I am going to have a dark hash.

So the colour of the plant, the colour of the trich's.

What about yeild???

From dried plant material what am I expecting approximatly?

I get 10% when making oil useing trim and 15-18% when useing buds.

What can I expect to get from my first go with making hash?

And should I grind the buds first or just rub them over?

Edited by Hugh Jass

From close trim, using the dry ice method and a 220micron bag I've had returns of roughly 20% by weight.

Now many people wouldn't consider that a very clean hash. As using a single 220u bag, with bone dry trim and lumps of dry ice will undoubtedly allow a small percentage of very fine veg particles through.  And yr hash contains all the different size/shape/maturity/grade of trichomes in one big mix.

But for myself, its plenty strong enough, plenty tasty enough, presses easily and is considerably less hassle than sifting different grades separately. Especially when processing large amounts of trim in one sitting.

Its horses for courses though some folks particularly the dabbers like to have the choice between grades. And if yr only making and using small amounts at a time its a novelty to mess about with and experience the subtle differences between various grades.

4 people like this

The nicest plant I made hash from was jacky white.  @Paradise Seeds proper soft black.  It made amazing hash.  Can't remember if it was a dry sift run or ice run but it was so Pakistan black.   

Maybe it's strain specific as I can't remember taking her too far into flower.

Reminded me of old skool gold seal or golf ball..... yummy....

2 people like this

10 hours ago, Bird said:

I have asked exactly this question to a hash making "guru", who was answering questions on hash making at the time.  He answered that it was the strain that dictated the colour of hash, whether it was blonde, brown or black or red.

I expressed a little surprise at his answer but he was quite insistent that this was the case.  As said above the grade must have some role to play but I think I see his point.

Sometimes a specific taste might carry through to the hash if the trim is from one plant only . Hash I made from trimmings of the same clone ,tasted like the flower smelled .Not always though .

Outdoor trim generally makes nicer hash IMO . I've made some bubble hash lately ,and a gram or two live hash from my thumb and forefinger . It's great ,nice for a change .I'd rather buy shatter than go through the rigmarole of making it .Bubble hash is a nice treat ,and enough work for such a small treat .

1 person likes this

I agree with the above but I think it's the retro thing a lot of us are after.

Nice old skool clean lightly pressed pollem is hard to whack.

3 people like this

I think the difference between red and yellow Lebanese hash was the harvest date and drying method. Yellow being earlier, red later. I think one was dried differently, but can't recall which was which.

3 people like this

Theres a thread that shows the kief piled up for pressing I think.  Probably the rsc Lebanese thread?

Edited by Bird
1 person likes this