Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MicGrow

Mini Indoor Worm Farm for disposal of fan leaf trim. Pics of mine.

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

As I trim under my scrog I've always wondered what to do with all the waste vegetation.

Come harvest time there's also a lot more!

Reluctant to put it in my outside compost pile, large worm farm or refuse bin I've always just gone for a walk and dumped in the woods close to my house.

As well as a chore it's a weak link in my security chain because sometimes I'm walking around with a backpack full of trim that does smell of weed.

So, I decided to make a free mini indoor worm farm to keep indoors.

I checked around on Youtube and found a simple method with five gallon buckets of which I have a few lying around.

Check it out:

large.5a3a62a58f3d3_2017-12-2013_06_42.jpglarge.5a3a62a6882a5_2017-12-2013_07_32.jpglarge.5a3a62a616a8c_2017-12-2013_06_55.jpg

It's two buckets nested together, the main one having holes in the bottom to drain into the collector bucket.
Some holes in the lid too for air. Mesh top and bottom to stop fruit flies and worms escaping and drowning below or crawling out above.

I transferred some fat handfuls of worms from my large outdoor worm farm to get this one going.

At indoor temperatures I'm hoping the worms will go through the trim quiet quickly. It'll be fun to one day return the castings and grow some banging bud in it!

I'll let you know how I get on.

16 people like this

Super idea.

Don't forget to keep them fed when you've no trim too.

Keeps the population stable.

3 people like this

Does anyone just feed their worms pure shit? I was thinking of doing a bucket of shit, cow or pigeon or a mix

Worms will dispose of ANYTHING which was ever alive, including meat.

Just make sure you don't "overdose" them by introducing large amounts at 1 time.

May even be worth putting the shit in 1 spot only, then gauge the worm's reactions

and feed accordingly.

2 people like this

I was only going to start with a few pounds mate ,splitting the bottom of the bucket with a bit of cardboard, shit on one side, coir and some oatmeal on the other see what the worms prefer

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, Gerfish said:

Super idea.

Don't forget to keep them fed when you've no trim too.

Keeps the population stable.

In our kitchen we sort our compost for the large outdoor worm bin anyway, so occasionally I'll just add some food from there, the less offensive stuff in case of any odor for the the indoor mini farm.

The outdoor worm farm is in our polytunnel this time of year, it's a few degrees warmer than outside. They love it!

If it's a brand new farm I'd suggest the following,
Use a base of wet shredded newspaper and Coco/Peat moss 50:50 as your starter growing medium,
The manure is like nutes for worms.
Too strong, and they burn.
Too weak and they starve, (although the shredded newspaper will be used as food first)
Little and often is a good rule for feeding. The worms need to eat any food before it spoils.
A layer of damp newspaper on the surface serves as a light blocker, and keeps the medium humid.
It's great fun to do.

Sorry, browser crashed.

I see it's a "new farm"

@Gerfish     

Too strong, and they burn.

Thats the bit I wanted to know mate ta

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, Jimboo said:

Does anyone just feed their worms pure shit? I was thinking of doing a bucket of shit, cow or pigeon or a mix

Yep I regularly give them a layer of year old horse shit and sometimes sheep shit too when I can be bothered to collect it, they always love their shit! lol

2 people like this

@Fragg its the year old bit that worries me mate Im worried fresh might be too hot, I suppose If I split the bucket in 2 they can stay on the side without the shit

3 people like this

i freeze my leaves and stalks then chuck em in the blender to make fruit smoothies with

3 people like this

All my dead leaves go back on the mulch layer.

4 people like this

same as ^

large.DSCN0806.jpg

2 people like this

On 21/12/2017 at 5:53 PM, buddy13 said:

same as 

@buddy13 Wrong forum mate, shrooooooooom! Love it. 

1 person likes this