Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Kahuna Burger

Seedling newbie seeks any wise words

Hey all, I'm just embarking on my first grow from seed... Have soaked them in water until they cracked, paper toweled them until tap roots are there, popped them in to root riot blocks. They're under T5 lighting in a propagator and am feeding them with low dose Katana root feed.

They're about an inch or so tall now and the cotyledon leaves are starting to sprout.. So all good news so far!

Questions -

How long to keep them under 24 hr lights

When to pot them up

What to pot them up in to (going in to flood and drain hydro in peddles)

And any other wise words of advice would be great fully received

Cheers in advance

BKB

1 person likes this

good questions. i am interested in the answers you get!

Hey all, I'm just embarking on my first grow from seed... Have soaked them in water until they cracked, paper toweled them until tap roots are there, popped them in to root riot blocks. They're under T5 lighting in a propagator and am feeding them with low dose Katana root feed.

They're about an inch or so tall now and the cotyledon leaves are starting to sprout.. So all good news so far!

Questions -

At this young age probably best and easiest to maintain temps without a dark period.

So you can stay with 24 hour lighting for a month easy.

Some prefere 18/6, or 20/4

whatever you choose you must provide warmth once the light goes off.

When to pot them up

Depends on the size of pot they are in but if coffee cup size, then when roots are coming out the bottom and you have good roots swirling round and round.

roughly a day and they need watering again, time to pot up.

Ahaa just read that , kinda fucks my first answer pmsl.

well you wanna get it into a net pot id say , full of pebbles and get them on the table or autopot or whatever u are using and then probably hand water for a while til roots are big enough to start flooding.

Tell us more on your plans and set up.

Cheers in advance

BKB

zz

Edited by zztopbudz
1 person likes this

Hey ZZ and muchos grassy ass for the reply and knowledge!

The seedlings are coming on strong, giving them a squirt of water/root juice daily atm and roots are busting through the root riot cube things now. (Strain is triple cheese btw)

They are going in to IWS F&D aqua net pots 6.5l eventually, would you advise to ease them I'm in to Grodan cubes before putting in the pots ?? I've read differing reports on how good/bad they are. Or should I put root riot cubes straight in to the pebbles??

Veg/Flower set up is:

I'm doing 6 plants in a 2m X 1m X 1.5 tent. Got 2 600 lights for them, 6" intake and 8" outtake going through big carbon filter, exhale CO2 bag. And using Vitalink nutes...

Again any wise words are very very welcome

BKB

Hey ZZ and muchos grassy ass for the reply and knowledge!

The seedlings are coming on strong, giving them a squirt of water/root juice daily atm and roots are busting through the root riot cube things now. (Strain is triple cheese btw)

They are going in to IWS F&D aqua net pots eventually, would you advise to ease them I'm in to Grodan cubes before putting in the pots ?? I've read differing reports on how good/bad they are. Or should I put root riot cubes straight in to the pebbles??

Veg/Flower set up is:

I'm doing 6 plants in a 2m X 1m X 1.5 tent. Got 2 600 lights for them, 6" intake and 8" outtake going through big carbon filter, exhale CO2 bag. And using Vitalink nutes...

Again any wise words are very very welcome

BKB

Edited by Big Kahuna Burger

Well to be honest flood and drain is prob the only way of growing i aint tried lol, but. My growing brain says if roots are busting out as you say and in other words healthy as fuck. I would wanna get them into the final media ie the net pots and in the flood and drain pots.

You may need to baby them and hand water them for a while till the roots really do explode and they can start to take a good flooding.

Putting them into grodan cubes seems like something else that could go wrong, or that the roots need to overcome.

Me, I know how well roots can grow in pebbles from growing in dwc in net pots for years.

I thing you could go straight into the net pots and directly into the finishing/pod/pot. That is the aim at the end of the day , the plant is gonna live and die in that pot , so you might as well begin the fun.

I think if the plant is too young and you try to flood it , you may see symptoms of over watering and potential issues. All remedied by hand watering until roots are long and well able suck up decent nutes to give you explosive hydro growth.

Hope that helps a bit

Best words of advice i can give you really is

Start your own thread in the Grow Diary in the Diary section of the forum and post up your pics.

You will get plenty of help and encouragement and step by step assistance if you require .

Just ask away and tap into the combined knowledge of us fellow ganja growers here at uk420.

its nice to know help is just a post away

zz

1 person likes this

Nice one man, thanks again and yea I'll kick off a thread over next couple of days.

If I do whack them in to the pots and pebbles what kinda lighting you reckon would be best?? Sorry to keep busting your balls I'll chill with the ????? Soon I promise!

BKB

With lighting its always normally more is better.

You wanna aim for about 50watts per sq foot.

So to properly light your space depends on its size, and of course no point in having lots of light if you cannot deal with the heat it generates.

So From your size of grow room will tell u how many lights you need, then the extraction needed to deal.

there is a growroom calc in growroom tools bit of this site.

zz

1 person likes this

Questions -

When to pot them up

Cheers in advance

BKB

Hey buddy, How many Watts are your T5's?

Questions -

When to pot them up

Cheers in advance

BKB

What is the wattage of your T5's?

I'm trying to propagate with an 18Watt CFL and things there going slow so I added my 100Watt LED and the leaves were starting to yellow/ brown after just a few hours.