Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BigHerb

BodyBuilding

526 posts in this topic

What would be a good series of compound exercises to do?

Any advice or sites recommendable?

A little program of 3, for 3 days a week, working everything but mainly the core. :yinyang:

What would be a good series of compound exercises to do?

Any advice or sites recommendable?

A little program of 3, for 3 days a week, working everything but mainly the core. :yinyang:

DAY 1

Benchpress

Bentover rows

Squats

Bicep curls

DAY 2

Deadlifts

Shoulder Press

Pullups

Dips

Alternate these two and perform as often as you feel you can or want. All the muscles are covered and it's mostly compounds. sets and reps - I advise 5 x 5...same weight all the way through.

Substitute bentovers for one armed rows if you want, chins for curls, perform shoulder press standing to work the core more, you get the general idea...just stick to the general routines though. Add abs when you can, the plank is very good for core muscles.

1 person likes this

Build up arse and core strength? The obvious exercise would be the squat. A barbell behind your head or over your head and sqiat down and back up again. Exercises like this use the whole body as well as the big muscles in your arse and legs. Your upper body is stabilising the load so your core is under tension too.

Because you have an injury to work around though you might have to be inventive to avoid hurting yourself.

Big, compund exrcises are things like the bench press, deadlift, overhead press and chin/pull up. These are good ways to build strength without being too complicated, though quite a heavy load is often used. Smaller exercises like bicep curls are more targeted to smaller muscles groups and may be better for you because you will be using less weight overall and thus less chance of aggravating an injury. For example you could do bicep curls sat down and keeping the entire movement as smooth as possible- so no swinging or using your body to lift the weight. Or standing up, but concentrating on keeping your body as still as possible doing the exercise slowly, this will help minimize any chance of hurting yourself, help with your core stability and increase the effectiveness of what you are doing. Try to keep your body under tension- so have your abs and your trunk tensed whilst doing an exrcise- whether it is a curl or pressing something over your head.

For your bum, if doing a proper squat is a no-go try it with the weightdown by your sides, again keep your whole body tense and try to do it as smoothly as possible, no jerking when lifting and then lowering down slowly under control.

Without knowing too much about your injury it's hard to be specific but you want to lift something heavy with as much of your body as you can, without you feeling any pain from your neck and back. It might be well worth your money to go and see a personal trainer (a good one) or physio for a few sessions so you can get some exercises that suit you, you can then do them on your own. If not there is a lot of good info with a google search- most bodybuilders and athletes will be training around injuries quite a lot so there is a lot of info out there.

When I had problems with my joints I worked out a training plan using resistance bands- great big strips of latex. Using these I was able to take all pressure off my joints and the experiment with different exercises. They were a lot smoother than using free weights and with a bit of thought really worked.

what sort of movement are you able or not able to do?

Thanks Solarchild, very helpful. I finally got my MRI results Tuesday (been waiting over 6 months for a firm diagnosis :() I have had a slipped disc which wasn't healing well & has been pressing on C7 nerve, giving me pain, weakness & loss of sensation in my right arm, MRI shows that I have degenerative disc disease which is why it's still not sorted itself out. I only had my neck scanned but I have a lot of lower back pain too, which is probably related to my crappy discs. Twisting movements with weights would be a no go, & anything which increases internal pressure (even a cough or a sneeze) sends shooting pains down the pinched nerve. I have been told to avoid bending my neck in a looking down position as this will encourage the disc to herniate further. I am really scared of fucking it up because the pain I was in a couple of months ago was ridiculous. This sucks really badly as I am used to being very strong & now am rather pathetic.

Squats sound like a good way to go, but with the weights by my sides & I think I will keep up with the running too, just because I enjoy it & it doesn't aggravate anything, also now I know what's wrong I can go back to my physio for some advice :)

SS x

DAY 1

Benchpress

Bentover rows

Squats

Bicep curls

DAY 2

Deadlifts

Shoulder Press

Pullups

Dips

Alternate these two and perform as often as you feel you can or want. All the muscles are covered and it's mostly compounds. sets and reps - I advise 5 x 5...same weight all the way through.

Substitute bentovers for one armed rows if you want, chins for curls, perform shoulder press standing to work the core more, you get the general idea...just stick to the general routines though. Add abs when you can, the plank is very good for core muscles.

Cheers mate, I have no equipment yet, I am about to order a pullup bar and 25kg dumbells.

I don't have space for a bench to do bench presses, would push ups do instead?

What is the minimum equipment I would need to follow these? :yinyang:

Glad I stumbled across this thread as i was going to start another similar to it.

I've been training pretty religiously for about 18 months, start height and weight was 5"11 and 55 kilos (aka skinny as fuck)

Now I'm at 70 kilos and feeling a lot better in body and mind, who knew most girls were so shallow eh? Well I did 18 months ago but now it's no longer an issue :wink:

Basically I was curious how smokin da herb effects those who train on here, specifically those who require a high calorie diet for gaining weight, I try and consume at least 3000 calories a day (shakes included) but sometimes I just can't bloody eat, especially in the mornings after a night of true blazing!! Anyone else have this issue? Or feel that their stoning habits stop weight gain?

Not had any problems eating re canna but I'm not really a morning person so breakfast was always a bit of an alien concept to me. I try and force some porridge and a shake down me when I'm training as opposed to a brew and a cig in the van five minutes after waking up. Just that one thing probably made the most difference to me putting some muscle on. Not eating anything till 10 or 11 the morning after a good workout is a bit of a waste cos you need to get the fuel in those muscles when you've knackered them.

Sarahsensi. Deffo get some advice off your physio, it sounds like you need some tailored advice. The good news is that with a decent plan you will get healthier as well as hotter.

Greenfloyd. Because you have 25k dumbells instead of a bar and a shitload of weight then you wont be able to do all of the big exercises- the weight you can lift for a dead lift is not soemthing most folks have at home. The chin up bar is one of the best buys in my opinion. Arms, back, core. The chin/pull up is one of the best exercises going. If you cant do one straight off have a google on chin up progressions (I think beastskills.com does a good one) You'll see stuff like assissted chins, negatives etc.. Because you probably wont be able to do deadlifts or heavy squats outside the gym you'll have to stick in some smaller exercises with you dumbells such as bent over single arm rows, tricep extentions, flys, overhead press(allsorts really) You want a fairly simple beginners workout and just crack on for around ten weeks. Within 2 weeks your strength will have gone up loads and by 4 you'll be seeing the difference.

Greenfloyd. Because you have 25k dumbells instead of a bar and a shitload of weight then you wont be able to do all of the big exercises- the weight you can lift for a dead lift is not soemthing most folks have at home. The chin up bar is one of the best buys in my opinion. Arms, back, core. The chin/pull up is one of the best exercises going. If you cant do one straight off have a google on chin up progressions (I think beastskills.com does a good one) You'll see stuff like assissted chins, negatives etc.. Because you probably wont be able to do deadlifts or heavy squats outside the gym you'll have to stick in some smaller exercises with you dumbells such as bent over single arm rows, tricep extentions, flys, overhead press(allsorts really) You want a fairly simple beginners workout and just crack on for around ten weeks. Within 2 weeks your strength will have gone up loads and by 4 you'll be seeing the difference.

Thanks chap :)

I have not bought the 25ks yet, are you saying I'd be better with a bar? Would I not then need a bench?

I hear you on the pull-up bar, it's good to know they are that effective.

I am 6.2", 11 stone, lean, eat well, I have have an ectomorph body type, and poor posture..

The main thing for me is strengthen by back and core for better posture, secondly general putting on a bit of meat and the mental benefits from exercising.

Nah mate, not at all. The dumbells are a good buy. Ut can cost quite a bit to get are bar and enough weight to do some of the bigger lifts is all and theres no point spending tons on kit straight away.

You can still do squats with them just not with enough weight for it to be a real compound exercise. Will do your legs though, especially if you move on to one legged squats, which are great for stability.

Follow willows plan and you'll be fine, tweak it as you go along and your strength grows- so for the bent over rows, use one dumbell with all the weight on it- you can row quite a bit of weight, rather than using two for example. You can up the reps as you see fit if you are finding it all a bit easy after a few weeks before you rush out and buy more heavy shit. Seriously do that for ten weeks and it will work a treat.

There are literally hundreds of exercises to do with a couple of dumbells at home, so if you like what you are doing in a couple of months you can find another plan to do for another few months, maybe get a bit more intensive. A cool bodyweight exersise if your looking for one is the handstand press up. Flip upside down against a wall and push up and down- piece of piss!! If youre in shape it's brilliant, if not then best wait a bit for that one! Just doing that alternating with chin, ups and you'll be hench man. When you can do 10 of them followed straight away by ten chins fives times you'll be on your way to being a warrior.

Best thing is to enjoy it and dont fucking damage yourself going for the burn or whatever- though the first couple of days after starting you should struggle to pick up a cuppa afterwards, it does get easier and less sore though, honest!

1 person likes this

Best thing to do is keep the body guessing

We are designed in a way that muscles remember excersises, it basically stops all of us getting massive from simple everyday activities

Vary your routine, you won't believe how quickly the body adapts

T

2 people like this

Nah mate, not at all. The dumbells are a good buy. Ut can cost quite a bit to get are bar and enough weight to do some of the bigger lifts is all and theres no point spending tons on kit straight away.

You can still do squats with them just not with enough weight for it to be a real compound exercise. Will do your legs though, especially if you move on to one legged squats, which are great for stability.

Follow willows plan and you'll be fine, tweak it as you go along and your strength grows- so for the bent over rows, use one dumbell with all the weight on it- you can row quite a bit of weight, rather than using two for example. You can up the reps as you see fit if you are finding it all a bit easy after a few weeks before you rush out and buy more heavy shit. Seriously do that for ten weeks and it will work a treat.

There are literally hundreds of exercises to do with a couple of dumbells at home, so if you like what you are doing in a couple of months you can find another plan to do for another few months, maybe get a bit more intensive. A cool bodyweight exersise if your looking for one is the handstand press up. Flip upside down against a wall and push up and down- piece of piss!! If youre in shape it's brilliant, if not then best wait a bit for that one! Just doing that alternating with chin, ups and you'll be hench man. When you can do 10 of them followed straight away by ten chins fives times you'll be on your way to being a warrior.

Best thing is to enjoy it and dont fucking damage yourself going for the burn or whatever- though the first couple of days after starting you should struggle to pick up a cuppa afterwards, it does get easier and less sore though, honest!

Dumbbells and pull-up bar arrived today, so tomorrow is day one :)

So, a few last minute questions lol

Firstly, I know I will have to take on lots more protein, I have powder hemp protein (I read it was as good as whey?) to make a shake with.

Along with having one after a workout, should I have a second through the day, keeping in mind I am an ectomorphor? :ermm:

Is there other good exercises I can do with the pullup bar other than the basic pull up?

Would using chairs for dips be as effective?

It was suggested to do 5 reps of 5. Should I find a weight I can only manage 5 reps with?

Would this type of work out that we are discussing, still give you a healthy Endorphin release?

I will have to look into some stretches too I guess.

Cheers for all the great advice and encouragement :yinyang:

Dumbbells and pull-up bar arrived today, so tomorrow is day one :)

So, a few last minute questions lol

Firstly, I know I will have to take on lots more protein, I have powder hemp protein (I read it was as good as whey?) to make a shake with.

Along with having one after a workout, should I have a second through the day, keeping in mind I am an ectomorphor? :ermm:

Is there other good exercises I can do with the pullup bar other than the basic pull up?

Would using chairs for dips be as effective?

It was suggested to do 5 reps of 5. Should I find a weight I can only manage 5 reps with?

Would this type of work out that we are discussing, still give you a healthy Endorphin release?

I will have to look into some stretches too I guess.

Cheers for all the great advice and encouragement :yinyang:

The 5x5 thing is a really good way of putting on some weight. It's a bit of a simplification but the heavier the work you do the more your muscles grow. Lots of smaller weight reps works better for muscle endurance- so olympic weight lifters might only do 1,2 or 3 reps of really, really heavey sets. An athlete might be doing 15 of a lightr weight and a bodybuilder would go between 8 and 12. 5x5 is a pretty good way of building strength. Don't get too hung up on it though! Doing sets of tenb is fine, so is 12. If you are working out at home you'll oiften have to make do and mend. As an example you wont be able to do a 5x5 bench press at home without a good bench, a rack and a lot of weight. You can however do dumbell flys and your bed, floor or whatever. It's not as good for a purist but it works.

Even though what I've said above holds true, none of it is as important as you putting the work in. The number of sets, weight used, even exercise done is secondary to putting the muscles under tension- ie: getting stick in.

Chairs are great as long as they arestrong and stable, you dont wanna be faceplanting half way through a dip. Dips are a great exercise for your chest and a load of other areas. Keeping your body upright you'll use your triceps more, leaning fprward more your chest.

With chin-ups and pulls, the puyll up- with your hands over the bar will work your back as well as a lot of your body you wouldnt think would be involved. A chin up- which has the hands under the bar uses the biceps a little more. Most people find the chin easier though not all. Doing chins/pull ups is surprisingly good for you abs btw. Keeping your body rigid works the core. your can add to this by doing the chin in different positions. the first progression is with your kness up at a right angle to your body, after that you can go for the l-sit chin. This is with your legs at right angle to your trunk so you are in an L position. If you want to do an actual core exercise seperately try hanging leg raises.

First of all you need to see how fit/strong you are. First off sound yourself out and write down what you do for each exericise. A lot of people, even very strong ones cant do body weight exercise like chin ups.

Spend some time figuring out where you are with chins and dips and the other exercises and then put together a workout. You want the last rep you do to be a bit of a struggle but dont go as far as not being able to do it. You should probably be able to do another two if you wanted after the rep you stop on. Going all the way till you cant do anymore is called working to failure and can be good but not often- if you overtrain the muscles they dont grow and you can injure yourself.

with the protein you want to be getting between 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound (of your weight) per day. So work out what you weigh, and waht you might eat during the day that has protein in it and top up as needed with shakes. I just drink fucking loads of the stuff but I'm a veggie. Eating right is a better way than shakes but trhey are useful and it can be hard to eat that much clean protein. If you are tring to get bigger, make sure you eat/drink carbs. Especially after a workout. Your body needs energy after a workout as well as protein. I eat a tin of rice pudding and a shake after a workout cos its easy and cheap and I cant be arsed preparing anything (straight out of the tin, cold, with a spoon) but as long as you stay away from crap you'll be good.

Good luck man, come back with a report on what youre doing. enjoy your self too, yeah you get a bit a rush but be carefull not to push two hard the first couple of times or you be sore as fuck the day after, let your body get used to some graft first!

3 people like this

Solarchild has answered everything lol !

As already said, 5 x 5 is a brilliant starting point, but may be a slog for an absolute beginner. The other thing is, you will get strong very quickly with this method so more dumbells will be in order. Just get as much weight as you can possibly afford mate, you really will find the 25s to be nothing before you know it, especially with rows.

Maybe do 5 x 5 for a couple of months straight to get super strong and make those tendons nice and tough, then move onto a more hypertrophy orientated routine with moderate reps say 7-11 and pyramid weight progression. This will build on the solid mass you made with 5 x 5 and start to give you a real physique.

Hemp protein...obviously a UK420 man would want that...but personally I can't stand the stuff and it is expensive. You can get a big 2.5kg tub of nutrisport 90+ whey with casein for about £32 by me! Have it with water post workout and with milk last thing at night just before bed. You can mix it with porridge at breakfast, and any time of day it's a good snack if you maybe have some nuts and an apple with it.

1 person likes this

I got one of those pull-up bars a few months ago , they are really good , when I first got it I couldn't do one rep , I can now do 9 reps

as solarchild said you can also work your abs by lifting your legs , in fact you can nearly see my abs now

Diet is always harder for me , getting rid of the fat so you can actually see the abs

1 person likes this

Badly written, flawed advice there mate. Sorry.

Calorific restriction? What about macros? Are you still consuming carbs? Your body only goes into ketosis if you basically eat zero carbs most of the time, the Atkins diet made this approach famous but there are more finely tuned versions around more suited to bodybuilders and sportspeople.

You do not need to necessarily severely restrict calories to achieve fat burning either, 45 minutes at the right intensity will do this, also HIIT is useful for some.

How is it badly written? :unsure:

The atkins was wank, all diets are, the key is staying and maintaining a decent size then you don't need no wacko plan to loose what you have gained that shouldn't be there. Restriction re teaches people that just eat all the time when to follow their bodies own cues irt when to eat. Overeating is what causes unwanted weight gain, for people that cant do 45 min workouts they can restrict and lose weight.

Carbs are what make most people gain, just cutting them out will result in weight-loss. I don't eat many carbs because they tend to bloat me. I think you'll find that fasting causes ketosis, not just cutting out carbs, if that were the case then I would constantly be in it myself, so there is a flaw to your logic.

Most people cba to do 45 mins intense workout, and somebody starting out first time wouldn't be able to either.

How is it badly written? :unsure:

The atkins was wank, all diets are, the key is staying and maintaining a decent size then you don't need no wacko plan to loose what you have gained that shouldn't be there. Restriction re teaches people that just eat all the time when to follow their bodies own cues irt when to eat. Overeating is what causes unwanted weight gain, for people that cant do 45 min workouts they can restrict and lose weight.

Carbs are what make most people gain, just cutting them out will result in weight-loss. I don't eat many carbs because they tend to bloat me. I think you'll find that fasting causes ketosis, not just cutting out carbs, if that were the case then I would constantly be in it myself, so there is a flaw to your logic.

Most people cba to do 45 mins intense workout, and somebody starting out first time wouldn't be able to either.

45 minutes of LOW TO MODERATE instensity cardio is what tends to burn fat and preserve muscle, easily achieved by most.

I fast every day for 16 hours, I've not gone into ketosis yet!