Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


Comrade Stoker

Musical Instruments fucking rock

162 posts in this topic
5 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Managed to pick up a Stentor cello today for 30 quid lol  wtf is wrong with people?

 

If you mean it's cheap then I agree, musical instruments seem to have dropped in value and I blame the advance in technology,

this allows the impatient and untalented to produce something similar to what those of us who have done the practice are able to do..........except......

not quite.........it's a bit like the difference between earlier vinyl and CDs........(one has heart, soul and mistakes, the other doesn't.......:rofl:)

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you very much for the advice @Comrade Stoker I went and picked one up today, the guy said it had no maker's mark, I look inside and there's a Stentor sticker lol  

It needs a bit of work, someone (I'm guessing him lol ) has quite obviously loosened all the strings, allowed the sound post to drop out, put it back in the wrong place and retightened the strings, causing the cello to split slightly at the back.  :russian:    It's looks like it'll be easy to repair though. Other than the split, it has a couple of dings and scratches, one missing string and no bow. lol 

I think I've done rather well for 30 pounds. :band:    

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Thank you very much for the advice @Comrade Stoker I went and picked one up today, the guy said it had no maker's mark, I look inside and there's a Stentor sticker lol  

It needs a bit of work, someone (I'm guessing him lol ) has quite obviously loosened all the strings, allowed the sound post to drop out, put it back in the wrong place and retightened the strings, causing the cello to split slightly at the back.  :russian:    It's looks like it'll be easy to repair though. Other than the split, it has a couple of dings and scratches, one missing string and no bow. lol 

I think I've done rather well for 30 pounds. :band:    

All I would say is be careful mate. It seems like a steal, but they're not, they're a nightmare mate. Fixing guitars is pretty easy, fixing string instruments like cellos is a different ball game. Even resetting the sound post in the wrong place can make it sounds like a mangled cat. I've managed a few minor repairs, but also fucked a few things up. Good luck with it though mate, and if you get it singing for you, you're laughing.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, stu914 said:

If you mean it's cheap then I agree

 

I look at these instruments with the eyes of an engineer and try to estimate how many hours went into crafting such a beautiful item, even with modern cnc techniques there are still a massive amount of man hours and skill involved in producing an instrument. You'd think something like a cello would hold it's value, not sell for 30 pounds. Shocking really, what we throw away or take for granted in this wasteful World. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Comrade Stoker said:

Good luck with it though mate, and if you get it singing for you, you're laughing.

Thanks Comrade, I'll drop it into the local violin/cello specialist tomorrow, hopefully he won't laugh me out of the shop. lol He's a nice fella, he was working on a cello from the 1700's the other day, said it was worth about 30k. :eek:  

This one looks like it's made from proper wood and not laminate, has cleaned up rather well too. :)   If it's a bone then I'll hang it on the wall. lol 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Saddam said:

Thanks Comrade, I'll drop it into the local violin/cello specialist tomorrow, hopefully he won't laugh me out of the shop. lol He's a nice fella, he was working on a cello from the 1700's the other day, said it was worth about 30k. :eek:  

This one looks like it's made from proper wood and not laminate, has cleaned up rather well too. :)   If it's a bone then I'll hang it on the wall. lol 

Just be honest, say you want to try your hand at it and if you like it, you'll be getting a decent one. If he's working on £30K cellos, he knows his stuff. He will be like a proper watchmaker, when somebody brings in a fake Rolex, they hate them because most of the movements are just dog shit and impossible to do work on. Just take some advice from him and give it a go. As I say, these sort of instruments are not like guitars, they're a massive pain in the arse when things go wrong, and only a proper luthier can make them good again.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I'm going to see his folk band play on Sunday, then there's a sitar player on afterwards. :notworthy:  Exciting times.

Share this post


Link to post

He will help you by the sounds of it. Good luck man. Don't forget to tell some massive porkies to him. Tell him your Great, Great, Great, Grandfather is none other that Antonio Stradivari from Cremona and you've been handed down some fine instruments, but you won't be showing him, because you don't want the UV to damage them.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

lol I'm  hoping he wants a part-time apprentice, would be nice to learn a few tricks of the trade when it comes to restoring these instruments.

:band:   

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Saddam said:

lol I'm  hoping he wants a part-time apprentice, would be nice to learn a few tricks of the trade when it comes to restoring these instruments.

:band:   

When he finds our you hail from the greatest instrument maker of all time, he'll be all over you, like a cheap suit. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

:rofl:      I have a Stradivarius :smug:  Only it's a cornet. :)  

Share this post


Link to post

Just got back from seeing the cello expert, he said the split should be fairly easy to fix. :yep:   He even said if he can't repair it, he'd be interested in buying it for spares. :)  

Fantastic! :wub: 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now