Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DaftSkunk

Learning The Guitar

117 posts in this topic

Rock'n'Roll Grandad

gaun yersel

ive had a look at some chords n stuff.

and what id like to know is when the's a x above a string, ive gathered that means to mute that string, so do i not play that string, its just some chords have an x on the first string and one on the last, so do i just play the middle strings?? that will take some doing without touching another string :doh: or is the another way to mute a string?

thx

dan

in the chord diagram the x means mute or don't play.....not hitting a string on purpose when strumming is quite hard for a beginner as you have probably found ..so the easier option is to rest your finger or fingers(left hand) on top of the string ..hard enough to stop it making a noise when struck ...but not so hard that your actually pushing it down onto the fretboard ..it will then make a kind of muffled thud kinda of noise ..otherwise known as damping ...you can use the damping effect to make some interesting rythm effects....try and damp all 6 strings ...then move your had up and down the fretboard ...you will hear the pitch of the damp thud changing'

so thats X ...O means you have play the string open ...not touching it with your left hand but still hitting it with your strum hand(right?)

go to 2:05 mins to hear an example of damping/chopping as used in rhythm

cheers WEED G, youve been a great help, an that sounds awsome, enjoyed listening to that, cheers, will give what u said a go. nice one

dan

cheers for the links madness, i dont know how to read a tab yet, but ill bookmark em anyway and av a look.

and ill just leave the knobs an such alone for now, yeah was gonna get an accoustic but got this given so dint bother, wat kind of accoustic should i look at?

Just look at a bog standard cheap one to start with and then get steal strings and string it, plent of vids out there showing you how to do it, they are about £6

Think mines was £10 when i got it and has done me about 5 years playing, only changed the strings once to steal because i had nylon

Hope it all goes well

Madness

I love my old Hondo acustic. Ive started to learn again and tbh my fingers still hurt :smoke:

Learning any instrument on your own is a right pain imho mate. Ive sat for hours (well kinda) on my own and just got fecked off/bored.

Find a guitar playing mate who is happy to spend a few hours a week or two showing you some chords is best.

I cant understand tab but can play a few cords it just takes a while.

Main thing is keep at it man.

Bert...

ok madness cheers, ill get one when ive got some spare cash, ill get me mam t get me one for christmas :) , like a kid.

hey bert, yeah its quite hard like init, my fingers dont seem to be long enough to push down on the strings to play a chord :) , think its my technique, ive been playing G - C - D, i can play em, but takes some doing. ive got a mate who plays but he's only playing a year or so, so still learnin himsell. was thinking of a few lessons when i have some money just to get me started, not looked into how much the cost yet tho.

I love my old Hondo acustic. Ive started to learn again and tbh my fingers still hurt lol

Learning any instrument on your own is a right pain imho mate. Ive sat for hours (well kinda) on my own and just got fecked off/bored.

Find a guitar playing mate who is happy to spend a few hours a week or two showing you some chords is best.

I cant understand tab but can play a few cords it just takes a while.

Main thing is keep at it man.

Bert...

I'd advise anyone to learn to read tab, i cant read normal sheet music but can read tab meaning i can just go online and find the song i wanna play.

But Bert is right, really you need to find someone to jam with otherwise you will soon loose intrest in and give up

There is plenty of video's out there on it

Hope it all goes well

Madness

Reading Tab

Basicly tab is set out like this

E ----5----4----7-----2 - This is your top thickest string, sometimes you will find it the other way around so it goes eBGDAE

A ------7-----4----1---

D ----------------------

G ----------------------

B ----------------------

e ----------------------

Basicly all you do is look at the string letter and go to that string and then the number represents the fret number, so that first note would be E string 5th Fret then it'd be A string 7th Fret then E String 4th Fret so on so forth

This is only a over view as there are other things like slide, but hopefully this can get you started

If you need to know anything else about tab or guitar feel free to pm me and i will try help you as much as i can :)

Happy playing

Madness

E2a - That tab was just made up by me, it will not make a song, i can not be held responsible for the noise that will come out your guitar if you decide to play it :)

Have fun

Edited by madness

Aldi have guitar tuners going very cheaply.. grab one if you have trouble tuning...

I started learning over years ago... D C & G fuck the fingers hurt but just kept at it.. then suddenly the chord changes came and suddenly I could bang out a tune.. learning the chord of A is a real fucker but then again tis easy now... keep at it, fingers will hurt, the sound will be bit iffy but it will happen as long as you keep with it.

id love to learn Guitar.. ive tried enuf times.. got the Guitar.. got the tools to learn.. just cant get written musical notes/scores to compute inside my head... im not thick.. im A+ at Math perhaps im musically dexlictic... :wink:

so frustrating.. one day i guess..

id love to learn Guitar.. ive tried enuf times.. got the Guitar.. got the tools to learn.. just cant get written musical notes/scores to compute inside my head... im not thick.. im A+ at Math perhaps im musically dexlictic... :rofl:

so frustrating.. one day i guess..

Read tab, there is a little started on a post further up of mines, then just look at some vid's online

Madness

Hi, I bought a guitar as I was pretty house bound with rheumatoid arthritis and needed some thing to occupy myself.I was unable to form the chords on conventional tuning.A guitarist friend of mine showed me open tuning d and g .I was able then to form chords with a simple one finger bar accross the frets.I can sort of play now. I found it a lot easier to learn I am still shite but it sounds better. It is a bit like a mouth organ. conventional tuning equates with a mouth organ with a button and a mouth organ with just one key to straight tuning.I am still no expert and cant read music very well.With open tuning I have had lots of fun. you can change the sound by just using one finger on on a string..This is by no means professional advice but it makes understanding easier. Have fun best wishes

Hi, I bought a guitar as I was pretty house bound with rheumatoid arthritis and needed some thing to occupy myself.I was unable to form the chords on conventional tuning.A guitarist friend of mine showed me open tuning d and g .I was able then to form chords with a simple one finger bar accross the frets.I can sort of play now. I found it a lot easier to learn I am still shite but it sounds better. It is a bit like a mouth organ. conventional tuning equates with a mouth organ with a button and a mouth organ with just one key to straight tuning.I am still no expert and cant read music very well.With open tuning I have had lots of fun. you can change the sound by just using one finger on on a string..This is by no means professional advice but it makes understanding easier. Have fun best wishes

Hi - I play open D with a slide, if you haven't tried it I'd give it a go.

There are loads of tutorials on youtube.

I like this guy (Keni Lee Burgess) does good tutorials. I learned this song quite easily. e2a. This isn't the tutorial...can't seem to find it. I bought the DVD from him. Good porch music. My daughter learned to play this when she was 7.

You can find the tabs to this one as well. Very easy classic to get the notes, just need to wobble the slide in the right places.

here is a jpeg showing the tab...hope you can read it.

post-42276-1257763427_thumb.jpg

Edited by Laramie
1 person likes this

yeah it does but you have to search for the song in chord form

peace

Sorry but kinda off/on topic this.....

On wednesday I will be spending time with 2 smoke friendly mates learning Wish you were here, Floyd. Ive kinda got the cords worked out I think?

If any one has a guitar handy does this sound right for the chorus cords???

C, D, Am, G, D, C, Am, G.

Nice one everyone...

Bert....