Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DANZIG

Bee Keeping

340 posts in this topic
Very carefully :unsure:

A bucket and a bee smoker, smoke the swarm when they settle on a branch, bucket underneath, tap the branch and they will fall into the bucket, net over the top, there you have a swarm o bees !

if only it was that easy :ouch:

mine swarmed right to the top of an old neglected plum tree next door which means i had to overcome my fear of heights and ladders in order to get them down

What i did was put a ladder up into the tree then remove the branch that they had clustered on, carry them back down carefully and then shake onto a sheet on the ground

Once they were all off the branch i put a box over the top of them and after about 30 minutes they all went inside and i just wrapped the box up in the sheet and carried it over to my spare hive, gave them a ramp up to the entrance, spread the sheet over the ramp and then shook them all out of the box onto the sheet and waited for them to run into the hive

Mrs Sibs asks how much for a jar of uk420 honey will pay postage :ouch:

:unsure:

that lump which weighed about 3 1/2 pound has all gone :g: but i've another 20 just like that waiting to be taken off and more empties to go back on so as soon as i get some bottled i'll pm you lol

I have only seen it once myself Joolz, my uncle captured a swarm from a Rowan, they were clustered on small branch

he slipped the bucket around the swarm gave it a quick smoke then tapped the branch a few times and the mostly all slipped into the bucket, I have watched a couple of crazy ones on youtube, I'm not scared of bees but being swarmed

high up a tree would be a bit mental!.

Joolz, I would die for some of that delicious looking honey ... put me on your list pleeze? :wink:

Homemade and produced... you lucky man..

Can I ask what made you decide to keep Bees? And how much it cost to set up a hive? If you don't mind... :rolleyes:

Certainly looks interesting....

Ms Powerband :wink:

i pulled this lump of comb from one of my hives yesterday :yinyang:

post-2-1212843759_thumb.jpg

first taste of my own bees honey, but i did have to chase, catch and rehome three swarms this week so i definitely earnt it lol

Yummmmy!!

That looks truly lovely Joolz - :D

I LOVE real honey (comb!) - Have often thought about keeping bees... 2nd'ing Ms.Powerbands question... :headpain:

i pulled this lump of comb from one of my hives yesterday :wink:

post-2-1212843759_thumb.jpg

first taste of my own bees honey, but i did have to chase, catch and rehome three swarms this week so i definitely earnt it :D

There was some honey in that bit of comb you gave me - blooming lovely it was :)

Very carefully lol

A bucket and a bee smoker, smoke the swarm when they settle on a branch, bucket underneath, tap the branch and they will fall into the bucket, net over the top, there you have a swarm o bees !

I saw J's bees a bit ago, was expecting to be terrified cos I hate bees and wasps but it was so fascinating I totally lost my fear. The most interesting thing was finding out that contrary to popular belief the smoke from a smoker doesn't make them drowsy - it makes them think that their "tree" is on fire so they all stick their heads into the honey cells and starting trying to eat it all before they abandon the hive. I never knew that and neither have the many peeps I've told since, they really are quite the coolest little creatures.

if only it was that easy :D

mine swarmed right to the top of an old neglected plum tree next door which means i had to overcome my fear of heights and ladders in order to get them down

What i did was put a ladder up into the tree then remove the branch that they had clustered on, carry them back down carefully and then shake onto a sheet on the ground

Once they were all off the branch i put a box over the top of them and after about 30 minutes they all went inside and i just wrapped the box up in the sheet and carried it over to my spare hive, gave them a ramp up to the entrance, spread the sheet over the ramp and then shook them all out of the box onto the sheet and waited for them to run into the hive

So much for them just going straight up into the apple tree then :D

Can I ask what made you decide to keep Bees?

Its just one of those things I always wanted to do right from childhood but never had the opportunity due to one reason or another untill now.

Having a sweet tooth and loving honey helped as well :ninja:

And how much it cost to set up a hive? If you don't mind...

about £200 per hive if you buy from new

plus you need a few basic bits of kit such as a smoker, a hive tool and some protective clothing which will cost about another £100

Then there are the bees, a colony consisting of one laying queen, some workers and drones will cost between £100 to £150 , or you can catch a swarm and get them for free :smug:

Certainly looks interesting....

it is, its also quite a steep learning curve but its good fun

And here is what i woke up to find this morning :smug:

post-2-1212942987_thumb.jpg

hopefully that's the last swarm i'm gonna get this week :smug: , i didn't have any more spare kit to house this one so i didn't bother trying to catch them, just let them get on with

word must of got around in the bee world there is free housing at joolz :smug: with better quality smoke that gives ya the munchies :ninja:

word must of got around in the bee world there is free housing at joolz :smug: with better quality smoke that gives ya the munchies :smug:

:smug:

I wish

they were bees from my hive anyway which means a failing on my part somewhere :ninja:

just a thought on these bees

i know nowt about bees but i was just thinking

i was wondering if they are leaving there hive maybe with the weather warming up and they were finding it to hot in there and they coming out to cool down ;)

maybe to many bees in the hive and they producing to much heat ;)

has it just started to happen since warm weather lol

just a thought anyway i will keep me mouth shut now cause i no nowt about them

i do find it interesting like producing ya own honey

but i far to frightened of them and got no garden to do it

i stood on a wasp hive as a kid and got hundreds of stings :ouch: never liked them since

:bangin: Right next question....apologies Joolz but you bought this on yourself :smoke: ....How long did it take for you to collect the lump of honey that you showed earlier...?

And while Im probing I'll add another if you dont mind? :rofl: Approxiametely how far do you keep your hives away from your house?

You certainly got my interest....

Ms Powerband :rofl:

I'm with Eddie Izzard, it's mad that bees make honey. Wasps don't make jam. Earwigs don't make chutney :bangin:

:spliff: I can hear Eddie right now shouting "I'm covered in Beeeeeees!"

just a thought on these bees

i know nowt about bees but i was just thinking

i was wondering if they are leaving there hive maybe with the weather warming up and they were finding it to hot in there and they coming out to cool down :rofl:

maybe to many bees in the hive and they producing to much heat :rofl:

has it just started to happen since warm weather lol

the warm weather is a trigger but the reason for swarming is because a new queen (or several) have hatched, each of those will leave the hive or be killed as the bees only want one queen, and each one that leaves the hive takes a few 1000 bees with her lol

:rofl: Right next question....apologies Joolz but you bought this on yourself :rofl: ....

I don't mind answering q's but i'm strictly a beginner so please try and keep them easy lol

How long did it take for you to collect the lump of honey that you showed earlier...?

they have been foraging to make that and another 9 frames just like it since april

And while Im probing I'll add another if you dont mind? :) Approxiametely how far do you keep your hives away from your house?

about 20 meters but you can keep them much closer lol

You certainly got my interest....

Cool :D , the more people that get interested in bees then the more chance the bees have for survival as the odds are seriously stacked against them due to disease and over use/indiscriminate use of pesticides :(

wild honey bees in the UK are pretty much a thing of the past these days and even escaped swarms from managed hives rarely survive more than 3 years on their own :(

If you are really interested then check out your local bee keeping association and ask if you can visit their apiary on a club night and see what its all about

My local club give all new members a hive and some bees which are kept at the club apiary and you are assigned a mentor who will teach you what you need to know to successfully manage the hive

After your 2nd year of membership the bees are yours to take home to your own hive, if you get fed up or decide its not for you then its cost you nothing ;)