Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

sconefirm1

RF Light/ballast problem

Hey guys,

I've just started my first grow around 2 weeks ago. My lighting setup was : Lumii 600w Dual Spec HPS with Lumii 600w Dimmable ballast and reflector. Yesterday an engineer from my Tv and internet company called and was checking the wires, he then knocked on my door and said there is a massive interference coming from my house, I thought nothing of it and left the lights with timer on. He called again today saying the interference is still there and that he will have to disconnect my services if the interference doesn't stop. I told him to wait a minute, went in to my dr and unplugged the ballast from power and then asked him if the interference is still here and he said no. He showed me a graph and log and it clearly showed the interference only being there when the lights were switched on. This means that either my ballast or bulb were causing a massive interference in the area affecting the nodes. I've unplugged the ballast and HPS and won't be plugging it back in until I know how to sort this issue. 

My setup is 1x1x2m and I'm wondering if I buy a 1000w LED on Amazon for £180 will this be enough to replace the 600W HPS? I'd appreciate your help on this one ! It's quite stressful lol

its REIN, google zen REIN. theirs a short video that will explain it much better than i can.

do you use a contactor or just a ballast straight in the wall? probably best to confirm which part is faulty and replace

Edited by highcontrast
1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

its REIN, google zen REIN. theirs a short video that will explain it much better than i can.

do you use a contactor or just a ballast straight in the wall? probably best to confirm which part is faulty and replace

Thanks for your reply :) 

Ballast straight in to the wall. It's definitely the light that is causing it, I met the engineer again about an hour ago and we tested it, he stayed outside the house I went in unplugged the ballast and the interference was gone so definitely that ! I had the light on 20/4 cycle as it's for autos, and plugged them in 11 days ago. He showed me a graph of the interference and it only started 11 days ago and only during the times the light was plugged in

Edited by sconefirm1
1 person likes this

As long as there is no timer before the ballast that it could be,  Im guessing he had a handheld radio at the front door and could confirm the noise has cleared?

If you contact the manufacturer and tell them what you told us then they may replace for you. I know a few of the bigger names have done so in the past, fuck knows in the current climate. First grow i would be looking to see it through with the hps, dive into other lighting once you found your feet imo

thinking about this it could be the bulb? if you got an old radio to hand you could prove what it is yourself, tune it into 612 on the am band. unplug bulb and fire up your ballast. should be really easy to figure out

Edited by highcontrast
1 person likes this

4 hours ago, highcontrast said:

As long as there is no timer before the ballast that it could be,  Im guessing he had a handheld radio at the front door and could confirm the noise has cleared?

If you contact the manufacturer and tell them what you told us then they may replace for you. I know a few of the bigger names have done so in the past, fuck knows in the current climate. First grow i would be looking to see it through with the hps, dive into other lighting once you found your feet imo

thinking about this it could be the bulb? if you got an old radio to hand you could prove what it is yourself, tune it into 612 on the am band. unplug bulb and fire up your ballast. should be really easy to figure out

Okay so the setup was : wall socket --> timer plug --> extension cord --> ballast. I tried wall socket --> timer plug --> ballast and wall socket --> ballast but the interference wasn't going away. Like you said he was outside the house with a handheld radio measuring it. I read up about the ballast I have "600w LUMii BLACK Dimmable Digital Ballast Grow Light kit HPS Dual Spectrum Bulb" That's the whole kit name and apparently it's RF Shielded (doesn't seem that way though lol). 

I'll contact LUMii and see if they can do anything, since UK is on lockdown I'm unsure if they'll respond anytime soon. Cool for now I gotta get a radio, searched the whole house, rang friends and no one has one. I'll buy one tomorrow and see if it's the ballast or the bulb.

Can you recommend any ballast for the 600W HPS that you know is good and won't give me this problem? Thanks mate

some cars still have am on the radio available :yep: have someone sit outside in the car on the phone while you plug/unplug shit to prove exactly what piece of equipment it is.  keep it simple, plug ballast in on its own, then with the bulb, timer etc. 

i have only owned 1 hps ballast in my time and that was a digital lumi too. worked well for a few years for me and its still running strong in a mates tent.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, highcontrast said:

some cars still have am on the radio available :yep: have someone sit outside in the car on the phone while you plug/unplug shit to prove exactly what piece of equipment it is.  keep it simple, plug ballast in on its own, then with the bulb, timer etc. 

i have only owned 1 hps ballast in my time and that was a digital lumi too. worked well for a few years for me and its still running strong in a mates tent.

Managed to get a cheap radio in a pound store ;) I contacted the store that sold me the ballast and they offered to replace it with magnetic ballast for me if I'm interested. Should I take them upon the offer ?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, sconefirm1 said:

Managed to get a cheap radio in a pound store ;) I contacted the store that sold me the ballast and they offered to replace it with magnetic ballast for me if I'm interested. Should I take them upon the offer ?

i honestly don't know.

The little i do think i know :smokin: is they get really hot but are very reliable. its old tech obviously so me personally no i would want the digital one. Don't think you get the dimmable option with what they are offering to.

chances are you just have a duff unit or bulb (whatever you proved it too) get em tio swap it like for like would be my first port of call

Edited by highcontrast