Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

badbillybob

duct silencers? do they work or waste of time

28 posts in this topic
On 10/01/2018 at 7:48 PM, Mike Hunt said:

@ilikebigbuds

Ello mate, they are cracking fans if you dont mind paying for them, i wished id saved for the one in the enclosure now but they wernt out when i bought mine, bit still, it trumps my 6" Rhino twin speed fan hands down, I had the Rhino boxed and it was still loud.

Ive only tried those 2 and a Black Orchid dual concentric fan ( bag of shit ), that makes more noise on its lowest setting than my Vector on 70%.

I wrapped my Vector up in some Old Duvet and put some Phopnic trap ducting on it, and its fucking brilliant at 50%, bareley audible inside the room, and silent outside. Dont need any silencers now as the phonic ductin actcs as a giant silencer. But the vectors speed controller is a sweet bit of kit too, you can set  points for it to speed up and slow down to min and max fan speeds, and its fully digital so zero hum and sucks my tent inside out on 100%.

I never run it much higher than 55-60% in the summer. Its running at 30% ( dont even need it that high at the momment but it gets the air changing  ) now with 2 x 315w cmh's in dual bulb hoods now and cant hear it for shit. ill turn the other 2 x 315w cmh on once my girls get a bit bigger.

But my heat / noise issues will be gone once i get my DIY cob build up ready for summer.

Cant fault it, but then ive not tried many other fans as i thought go big or go home when i was gearing up.

Considering getting the enclosed version at a later date as im impressed with this one.

Oh I wish I read this yesterday before buy one of these 6inch black orchids 

loud as fk mate! 

Going to get my neighbours attention. 

I run from my shed and he will hear this easy 

bloody £65 Aswell might as well of thrown the money in bin 

I could send it back......

Damn what a waste of time/hassle as well 

I moan about £65 just googled the vector fan so that around £300? 

Maybe that’s why mine is so loud then 

thanks for your post tho it’s very informative 

Edited by Jammo85
Adding price info after posting / googling

@billybadbob  how that went?

Am done with wush sound am ordering some silencers as well, would like some input.

Setup goes Filter/fan/silencer/aircolled hood/outake.

And am a bit woried about the weight of whole pack on tent,thinking of putting it all to the ground but am worried about hot air from top of room comming back over my plants as well. Anyone keeps filter/fan on floor?

Just now, Herbal Kint said:

Anyone keeps filter/fan on floor?

I did and it seriously increased heat levels at plant height - wouldn't be an issue this time of year but in summer it made them a bit to warm for my liking. I'm using LED, and I've recently bought a non-contact thermometer which has revealed that contrary to received wisdom LED light doesn't leave plant surfaces a few degrees cooler than ambient temp - maybe 1 degree if that.

I had actually put the can on the floor so the drobe could accommodate a silencer - they definitely work and you could always leave them concertina- ed as they come  to save space.

1 person likes this

I use an end silencer and it’s a dream from what it was, i highly recommend them..

I use a td-silent fan too which is vey quite.. again i recommend those too

:stoned:  

3 people like this

I also use a TD Silent and second Twigs' recommendation.

1 person likes this

My silencer makes a difference from the outlet, it’s pretty much egg crate foam silencing stuff rolled in a tube wider than the ducting and could be DIYed quite easily by someone like your self !

2 people like this

Thanks for reply folks, i ordered 1 few days ago, just to try it out.

Setup is 3 x aircolled hood 600w , fan/filter for each light, now to add another 15kg of silencers on top of that makes me edgy,what makes things worse is i use just a scelet of a tent as support for lights and equipment,1 for 2m tent and 1 for 1.2m tent.

On top of that 3 filter/fans goes another 420m3 fan that i use just as outake separate from aircolled hood so thats another 10kg with silencer.

I dont see option except floor atm as adding 15kg of shit on my tent might end badly

44 minutes ago, twigs said:

I use an end silencer and it’s a dream from what it was, i highly recommend them..

I use a td-silent fan too which is vey quite.. again i recommend those too

:stoned:  

I have prima klima with switch 220/420m3 x 4 i think,id get td but with silencers on way am on my budget for growing for a while, ill deffo get 1 with time to see if it really makes a difference. I still have Tornado fan 12 sitting somewhere in garage, what a stupid idea and waste of cash that was, i could hear it outside of the house at night lol

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, LA LUNA said:

My silencer makes a difference from the outlet, it’s pretty much egg crate foam silencing stuff rolled in a tube wider than the ducting and could be DIYed quite easily by someone like your self !

Am lazy and i want it to be solid tbh , ill use it as long as i grow so ill spit the cash this time, id buy that Phonic ducting or whatever its called but no one delivers out here, i spent 6hours trying to order it lol

1 person likes this

isn’t the consensus now that smooth on the inside is quieter than ribbed.? think that’s what i might try when I upgrade next.. :yinyang:

Am not impressed , got 1 and its louder then before i swear ,gives additional hum, not when am in room but when i get out.

Like a jet i passing above me and its singe 220m3 vent. I even got a duvet over it and still same,am not getting any more of them , may try that phonic ducting next.

Even industrial vent silencers don't attenuate sound to the degree we require, imo. Good acoustic ducting and a really quiet fan is your best option me thinks.

On 21/04/2021 at 8:04 PM, Jehova said:

Even industrial vent silencers don't attenuate sound to the degree we require, imo. Good acoustic ducting and a really quiet fan is your best option me thinks.

Ye i guess so, i spent 60e and i removed it same day, i deffo try phonic ducting with time.