Photo
- - - - -

4 x 600w HPS lights monthly electricity bill?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 highgrade-singh

highgrade-singh

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone knows an estimated price if I was using 4 x 600w HPS lights for 12hrs a day? Im currently on a fixed rate and pay 30pm for electricity at my flat.
Don't want to raise any suspicion

#2 Saddam

Saddam

280-315nm

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5986 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

If you know what you pay for a Kw/h then it's simple multiplication. eg: I NOW pay 14p per Kw/h so to run a 1000w bulb for 20 hours will cost 2.80.
2.80 x 30 days = 84 pounds.
Hope this helps m8
Saddam
eta- now... I was paying less but the electricity company took me of the energy care scheme which only lasts 2 years, apparently. grrrr lol

Edited by Saddam, 04 February 2012 - 10:57 PM.

#3 me n me girls

me n me girls

Always bloomin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1704 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

I run 2 600,s 12 hrs a day and a 400 for 20 hrs a day, I pay 116 per month so 30 a month is going to leave you with a massive bill.

#4 Saddam

Saddam

280-315nm

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5986 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:25 PM

My oil radiator chews 2.4 Kw/h as does the air-conditioner. Both are good excuses as to why you're using more electricity if asked. I had the electricity company put me under investigation until I explained I couldn't afford heating oil so had to heat the house with oil radiators. Sudden jumps in usage will probably get them asking questions, I wouldn't have known I was being investigated if I hadn't contacted them first.
Hope your calculations are affordable m8. lol
Saddam

#5 mrchang

mrchang

L.E.D-GURU ;)

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5194 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

4 x 600w is taking the piss if your electric bill is going to landlord.
imo.
"The police said mark duggan had a gun.....smiley had a knife. Jean Charles de Menezes,
he had a bomb and Ian Tomlinson died of natural causes."
Chunkymark 2011.
vince noir rock n roll star
the tare button adds awesomness to the weight everyone knows that

#6 mrchang

mrchang

L.E.D-GURU ;)

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5194 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

My oil radiator chews 2.4 Kw/h as does the air-conditioner. Both are good excuses as to why you're using more electricity if asked. I had the electricity company put me under investigation until I explained I couldn't afford heating oil so had to heat the house with oil radiators. Sudden jumps in usage will probably get them asking questions, I wouldn't have known I was being investigated if I hadn't contacted them first.
Hope your calculations are affordable m8. lol
Saddam

What did they say?
"The police said mark duggan had a gun.....smiley had a knife. Jean Charles de Menezes,
he had a bomb and Ian Tomlinson died of natural causes."
Chunkymark 2011.
vince noir rock n roll star
the tare button adds awesomness to the weight everyone knows that

#7 Saddam

Saddam

280-315nm

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5986 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:19 AM

Not much really, I was questioning the bill and the woman said "your account has been passed to the investigation department" The previous occupants didn't use much electricity and I guess the large jump in usage sounded some alarm bells. At the time, I didn't have any heating oil so it was a part truth. Given that I was caning 1000w bulbs for veg, it was pretty understandable. Anyway, I told her about oil radiators and a de-humidifier/aircon because of cold, damp, mildew and that was that.. over 3 years ago now (touch wood) so I would've expected a visit long ago. As long as you pay up, they don't GAF. lol
Saddam

#8 cypher79

cypher79

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1980 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

Change your leccy supplier before your gonna have a big jump in electric usage, then they have nothing to compare too :wink:

#9 highgrade-singh

highgrade-singh

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

Yeh I might just give them a call coz im using 2x 600W HPS but im considering doing 2 seperate plants under a 600w each in a DR150 so using 4x 600w HPS alltogether. Il give them a call and see what they say otherwise just change company but I think im on a yearly fixed rate of 30 a month :\

#10 Our Man In Malana

Our Man In Malana

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

Changing your electricity (& gas) supplier regularly is even more important if you use lots of 'leccy, as they play silly buggers with their price plans all the time. If you're growing more than a small tent, you really should sort out an internet monthly direct debit deal with whoever is cheapest, rather than whichever crappy plan your current supplier has you on.

Standard rate works out at around 14.5p kwh, but it's possible to get this down to about 9p kwh if you use a price comparison site and be realistic about your electricity useage (be careful about standing charges and initial usage rates, but the price comparison sites calculate annual cost to factor all this in).

A 50% cut in unit price = 50% more light for same money = 50% more bud! Does that convince you? :yahoo:

Highgrade Singh - If you're paying £30 month flat (by direct debit) that's almosts certainly an estimated amount. You need to read your meter and compare it to the last bill to see if you've been under or overpaying.

Edited by Our Man In Malana, 05 February 2012 - 09:57 AM.

A quarter pound of ishen is a dollar ten cent, I get so high I can't pay my rent.

#11 highgrade-singh

highgrade-singh

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Thats a great idea, I might just give them a call later today, see what they say. If any problems I'l just change my supplier each month for the next 2-3 months

#12 Split the atom

Split the atom

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Changing your electricity (& gas) supplier regularly is even more important if you use lots of 'leccy, as they play silly buggers with their price plans all the time. If you're growing more than a small tent, you really should sort out an internet monthly direct debit deal with whoever is cheapest, rather than whichever crappy plan your current supplier has you on.

Standard rate works out at around 14.5p kwh, but it's possible to get this down to about 9p kwh if you use a price comparison site and be realistic about your electricity useage (be careful about standing charges and initial usage rates, but the price comparison sites calculate annual cost to factor all this in).

A 50% cut in unit price = 50% more light for same money = 50% more bud! Does that convince you? :yahoo:

Highgrade Singh - If you're paying £30 month flat (by direct debit) that's almosts certainly an estimated amount. You need to read your meter and compare it to the last bill to see if you've been under or overpaying.

THE Man in Malana, I'm convinced! Although could you expand a little on the 'internet monthly direct debit deal' please?

E2A: which comparison site would you reccommend?

Edited by Split the atom, 27 February 2012 - 06:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users