13 replies to this topic

#1 Troubled Mind

Troubled Mind

This Boy Needs Therapy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1672 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

Howdy all.

Just thought I would show you my new D.I.Y Pollen press.

Its made of out Food Safe Stainless Steel.. not that I think the Food Safe thing would make a differnce, but it sounds cool :stoned: apart from the big screw... which is Galvanised Steel.

uk2.png

Basicly, the main body is just a bit of box section cut down, and then a nut was tacked in the middle of the box section at one end, so the big screw can come threw the center of the box section. The screw pushes down on one plate ( The plate has a drilled out nut on it to help keep the plate level ) which will then push on the Pollen which has another removeable plate on the other side. The plates are then stopped from coming out the other side by two small bolts which are taken out when you are filling or unloading your pollen.

So far I have put about 5 small blocks worth in, experimenting every time. I have only used fan leaf's that where trimmed from a grow about a month ago, so there not THC loaded by anymeans. The great thing about having a metal press compared to a bit of cellafane ( the plastic from ciggy box's ) is that you can keep it in the oven for alot longer, and at a higher heat, But I have only experimented with longer cooking times on the same heat ( 180* on my Electric Fan Cooker ).

Other advantages are, It can be pressed alot harder and quicker and with more ease than a Rolling pin, and can be pressed before putting in the oven which I dont think was very possible with Cellafane. There are no risk of the bag splitting or melting on your product :doh: And it can be put straight into a fridge ( I let it cool down for half an hour on window sill so its just warm, I dont want to over work my freezer :doh:

The problems I have found so far are... its extremely hot to handle, even with folded wet tea towls, which makes it very interesting when your trying to press it after its come out the over ( but it is do able with care ). And the small bolts at the end can bend pretty easy when its hot and being pressed.

Anyway, Enough bullshit, Heres some pics of the press and some crap leaves I run threw.

Edited by Troubled Mind, 26 December 2008 - 04:35 PM.

Cant live forever, So why the fuck you trying to?

#2 Troubled Mind

Troubled Mind

This Boy Needs Therapy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1672 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

Sorry about the pics being a bit rubbish, they where only done on a web cam and Im not the best as showing how things work.. :stoned:

uk3.png

Heres it in one peace.

#3 Troubled Mind

Troubled Mind

This Boy Needs Therapy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1672 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

And here is the finished product :stoned: I didnt weigh the trim im affraid, and didnt weigh it after.... Must be around 10 grams though out of pretty much a full load of pollen.

uk1.png

#4 Troubled Mind

Troubled Mind

This Boy Needs Therapy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1672 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

And here it is after I split it in half and put a bit from my half in the pipe ( My Pa's a very big pot fan, so he will be getting most of the products made from this press :doh:

uk4.png

Oh, just to add, a good basic setting I have found at the the moment is 180* for 40 minutes, and this turns the Pollen into that nice pot brown colour, but rember im in-experienced with this tool at the mo so if anyone else ever copyed this then just keep checking it at first, but theres certainly less risk of fire compared to plastic and wet paper :stoned:

Hope this made sense, Ima test me puff out now and see how it is... Im not expecting to get stoned off it to be honest as the trim was rubbish, but thats fine fore me as a day time smoke :doh:

#5 _leepy_

_leepy_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

Thats a fucking belta of an idea mucka :wink: :rofl: iv got one i little bit bigger than yours well to be honest its fucking huge the good thing about mine is you dont have to put it in the oven not that youd get it in the oven you'd need a fucking walk in kiln to put it in :rofl: i find the 25ton of pressure its under works just aswell as an oven would :rofl: ps you know ill be building one just like yours :rofl: il fire a picture up of mine if ya dont mind m8 dont wanna seem like im hijacking ya thread buddy

#6 widowman11

widowman11

Don't mess with the squirrel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

Looks excellent mate, B)

#7 AKPOG

AKPOG

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:51 PM

Nice job buddy, superb idea! :unsure: I'll certainly look into having a go making one of those :spliff:

However, DO NOT increase the temp too high, I know the steel will make it but the hash will degrade. Use as little heat as you can & I speak from experience here ;)

:spliff:

#8 thecrystalcatcher

thecrystalcatcher

Addicted to Scroggin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1829 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:21 PM

nice press mate, seems to do the job well.

tcc

#9 SMOKE RING

SMOKE RING

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:34 PM

sweet :wink: Like your idea might try to make one my self. how was the dunt from it ? was it as you thought a day time smoke or was it better than expected

#10 SMOKE RING

SMOKE RING

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

You will need to try make your self a stamp to press on to it next. :wink:

#11 Troubled Mind

Troubled Mind

This Boy Needs Therapy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1672 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

Thats a fucking belta of an idea mucka :D :) iv got one i little bit bigger than yours well to be honest its fucking huge the good thing about mine is you dont have to put it in the oven not that youd get it in the oven you'd need a fucking walk in kiln to put it in ;) i find the 25ton of pressure its under works just aswell as an oven would :yep: ps you know ill be building one just like yours ;) il fire a picture up of mine if ya dont mind m8 dont wanna seem like im hijacking ya thread buddy

Heya Leepy, Glad you like it mate, It really does work a treat I think, Ive thrown leafs that where just grinded up into it and although it looked nothing like pot ( Actually it looked kinda like slate, the way it came apart atleast.. ) but was still a nice little smoke. I think cooking it for longer helps kill the leafy taste more.

Id love to see a picture of this 25ton beast you got mate, no need to ask for permission from me ;)

And thanks everyone else for ya comments, AKPOG I reckon your right, I dont think im going to get any good results from higher temps, as the damn press gets so so hot, so its probably already working out as a much higher temp lol.

And yeah, I was thinking about putting a stamp on it, hehe, But this was originally just a tester ... I was actually going to send bits to a machinest ( one next door to my work ) so there is no gaps from the sides of the plates, but I have only seen very small ammounts fall out of the gaps when I was screwing it up, so I think this will actually do for me :) Maybe ill weld a TM mark on one of the plates one day :D

Oh and that lump i made yesturday is very nice, it gets me a bit stoned which I was surprised about as I thought there would be nothing to get stoned on from it :) My only problem with it is that its a bit loose forming, but I think thats because I tried to use less pressure on it than normal.

#12 CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner

Underdosing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:56 PM

:fuckyou: i wanna see leepy's 25ton hash press too.. sounds like the kind of thing i used to use to press bushes into wishbones etc but bigger.. o how naive youth, never thought at the time it coulda been used for that..

You do have a penchant for doing things the heavy way, leepy :rofl:

Nice press, OP. looks a bit of a pain to use but still very nice job. Will be making my own later this year, got a clay extruder+ SS shim at the mo but nothing to put in it..
Does being on fire count as fixed?
If I owned an opticians, I would get the sign printed in a blurry font.

#13 Mono

Mono

Closet Pharmer

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5715 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:25 PM

Have you tried it with any resin glands yet? The reason it falls apart is cos you use leaf ground up....

you won't need any heat when you run hash through it, the pressure from the screw winch and the stickiness of the polm will make it all stick....

Nice press anyway, I always fancied trying to make something like that, but could never be arsed.... :spliff: :rofl:

Monk...x

#14 playground

playground

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

Well done. The oven heat is an extra that I don't think serves the intended purpose, but it sure does make the glands gooey enough to get the air out.

I used to use my bench vise and a "boot" - a cut down steel liner with a steel plug. Worked great. Gave the whole rig to a fellow med patient who said that if he didn't convert to hash his lungs would fall out. Shitty excuse, but what can you do for a fellow human in need? Mrs. Playground has emphysema so I understand how peeps can suffer.

The answer to the question about cost is that a machine shop can put one together with fully welded seams, vice tabs on the body and a screw press handle for next to nothing. I told the machine shop my wife liked making soap so much I wanted a hand soap press to make it easier for her. First, I asked if they could put her name in the press so the bars would say, "Mrs. Playground" and be great presents to our kids. Once they told me the cost (it was a dodge, so I didn't care) I showed them what I wanted and they built it.

Oh God, do I sound like a world-class, PITA, fucking knowitall or what?

Apologies. Continue the mission.
"Ignorance is the most expensive commodity in America." - Rush Limbaugh

---
Yes, I really am like this all the time...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users