Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Church

Let's Try Linux!!!

389 posts in this topic

I had a background image of the linux file structure and various bash commands just for quick reference, it done the job for me .

To all of you that have taken the plunge......

The new distro is now avaliable through update manager :):yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

:yinyang:

P.S To those that haven't tut tut you really don't know what you're missing

Keep up sibs,ive been on hardy for a couple of weeks now.

Keep up sibs,ive been on hardy for a couple of weeks now.

Flash git

:yep::)

One small thing though i'd advise downloading the new distro onto a disc then applying it.

:yep:

¿Why's that then, Sibs?

(Although it's always nice to have a complete version of a new release of an OS stored to hand, anyway :yep:)

:yep:

¿Why's that then, Sibs?

(Although it's always nice to have a complete version of a new release of an OS stored to hand, anyway ;))

:D

I updated through update manager it all installed but some things just wouldn't work for some dumbass reason things like chat drag n drop into the fat32 partition on the spare hard drive silly little things. But its all work aroundable and it will be sorted soon.

Slight off topic in the time its taken for me to set up the new lappy with firewall etc etc i'd completely reinstalled everythiing on the desktop which is of course Ubuntu lol

Oh and some prick @ pc world tried to tell me doze is better than linux... idiot.

:yahoo:

'PC World' - :smoke: - Says it all, really - I bet he's has loads of 1st hand experience to back his claims up... :punk:

lol

Edited by Scribb|e

If it aint broke dont fix it :D

Windows is fine B)

If it aint broke dont fix it :rofl:

Windows is fine B)

Nah windows is absolute shyte and as soon as i can be bothered i WILL get the lappy running on Ubuntu well as soon as this fucking headache goes :D

I have had a desktop computer online for over 2 yrs using linux and not had one spyware or virus can anyone say the same about doze.

Edited to add it has taken 1hr 58 mins or a full battery charge to download and install 43 updates WALOB in that time anyone could fully install Ubuntu and have it fully operational including 200 plus updates.

Edited by sibannac

If it aint broke dont fix it :) Windows is fine B)

But Window$ is very 'broke' - very broken, indeed... :yep: (And about as far from 'fine' as you could possibly get :guitar:)

¿Have you actually had any first hand experience with non-Win OSes, like Linux/BSD/Solaris etc, Oasis? :wink:

¿If not, how can you possibly comment? :rofl:

Edited by Scribb|e

Oh man I totally forgot about this awesome thread.

I switched over to try out ubuntu back in about 6.10 or thereabouts, and it's worked flawlessly ever since.

I also thought that seeing as how I'd been with ubuntu for a little while, I would try my hand at some other distro, and got slackware installed after a few attempts.

Quite a nice little distro, very customisable, it's a distribution which places the user very much in control. I also thought it was relatively hassle free to install, despite what I had been led to believe.

I agree, Max - I've just upgraded to Hardy from Gutsy, and the first thing I did was switch the Firefox shortcuts to use Firefox2 instead of 3 beta - v3's just not ready for *my* prime-time just yet, but I'm sure it will be very soon. It was things like fonts mucking up, and the screen re-draws being knackered that made me revert to v2, but on the plus side, I've noticed that most of the Add-ons that I use in FF have now been made compatible with v3. lol

The other thing I don't like on Hardy is that they've changed the driver for the wireless chipset that I use on quite a few of my machines (coz it works *wonderfully* on Linux/BSD - packet injection and everything, 100%) - they've switched from the 'legacy' rt2500 driver to the new rt2x00 ones, and it made my connection drop out, and be really slow, so I also blacklisted the rt2x00 drivers provided with Hardy, and compiled the legacy ones to match my current Hardy kernel. :puke:

Can't actually say that I've noticed much difference between Hardy and Gutsy yet - it's a bit smoother feeling, and the screen redraws are even smoother and a bit flashier, maybe, but that's about it for now - no doubt I'll discover more when I go fishing more deeply around as I use it more and more.

:thumsup: