Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

pepe16

Peat compost to be banned from 2024

125 posts in this topic
4 hours ago, buddy13 said:

that's in a 450ltr:yep:

Fuck sake massive man jealous :D

I been thinking to buy 56L (15g) rised bed to my 60x60 tent the size of rised bed is 60x60 aswell and 20cm height

I wonder if I could stick two plants in it but veg only 35 - 40 days I don't think they would fight for roots .

2 people like this

9 minutes ago, LokiVirandell said:

Fuck sake massive man jealous :D

I been thinking to buy 56L (15g) rised bed to my 60x60 tent the size of rised bed is 60x60 aswell and 20cm height

I wonder if I could stick two plants in it but veg only 35 - 40 days I don't think they would fight for roots .

A 60x60 tent is actually more like 55cm inside so keep that in mind, I tired to fit a couple.of 50x30 containers in mine, not a good look. 

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

A 60x60 tent is actually more like 55cm inside so keep that in mind, I tired to fit a couple.of 50x30 containers in mine, not a good look. 

I will have that in mind I will buy maybe raised bed fabric pot it's only 4£ and I will see how it's look like if no I will improve maybe to 80x80 tent

Would fucking love a no till soil just pain in the bum with long veg

3 hours ago, LokiVirandell said:

I will have that in mind I will buy maybe raised bed fabric pot it's only 4£ and I will see how it's look like if no I will improve maybe to 80x80 tent

Would fucking love a no till soil just pain in the bum with long veg

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've seen a 55x55cm fabric bed/pot the type you insert pvc into a support. 

Just now, MindSoup said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've seen a 55x55cm fabric bed/pot the type you insert pvc into a support. 

That's interesting I will have a look if there's any in uk I seen few like that in US no till threads 

1 person likes this

I think someone on here makes there own soil using 50% normal compost, 30 % coco and 20% worm castings. That may be worth a go for peat free if people are saying it has less desirable structure. Either that or fertile fibre we might be switching to. I used to use west + peat free for my guerilla grows. It weighed nothing and I got got results. Don't think they make it anymore

1 person likes this

Just googled it's called West + light and easy now. I might even buy some for a couple of fabric pots at the guerilla spot :)

1 person likes this

Guess I chose the right time to move from soil growing to coco/perlite hempy buckets. lol

1 person likes this

is a online garden centre i sometimes buy compost from, they have been replacing peat with wood, still has some peat in the mix but i'm certain they will amend it with this latest news.

6 hours ago, hash72 said:

is a online garden centre i sometimes buy compost from, they have been replacing peat with wood, still has some peat in the mix but i'm certain they will amend it with this latest news.

What's the brand ?

7 hours ago, LokiVirandell said:

What's the brand ?

not branded. think i can mention it has nothing do with cannabis. garden bargains, they already do peat free using coco coir, bark and organic matter, £9.99 for 40litre

15 hours ago, hash72 said:

The Westlands New Horizon Peat Free compost I tried seemed a bit 'woody'. I think peat free is improving, more options, better quality, etc. I payed £40 (deliverd) for 100l of Sylvagrow peat free. Happy so far.

It won't save the world. Eventually the Earth will be destroyed by the sun. But until then. Lets make things easier for earthlings for a couple of 100 million years, or so. Hopefully!

4 people like this

On 20/05/2021 at 6:34 PM, Lux_Interior said:

I made the decision to go peat free two years ago. I started with Westland's New Horizon Peat Free with which I had reasonable results. However, after it being recommended to me by a gardener I respect I have recently switched to Sylvagrow Peat Free (a bit pricey) but is going OK (so far!).

Of course you could go hydroponics and/or coco.

But, honestly I support the idea to ban the unsustainable harvest of peat.

I tried that New Horizon and it was OK, not as good as Jack's Magic.  I recently found one called Growmoor Gro+ Seaweed Compost, that claims is made from a sustainable peat source.   I will use up my supplies of peat based and go peat free.

2 people like this

On 24/05/2021 at 4:22 PM, speedwell68 said:

I tried that New Horizon and it was OK, not as good as Jack's Magic.  I recently found one called Growmoor Gro+ Seaweed Compost, that claims is made from a sustainable peat source.   I will use up my supplies of peat based and go peat free.

I am much happier with Sylvagrow than New Horizon. But other variables (weather, temperatures) are also playing in my favor at this time of year. Good on you for wanting to go peat free. Kudos.

3 hours ago, Lux_Interior said:

I am much happier with Sylvagrow than New Horizon. But other variables (weather, temperatures) are also playing in my favor at this time of year. Good on you for wanting to go peat free. Kudos.

I have found a local supplier of Sylvagrow so I am going to give it a go when I have run out of peat based compost.

1 person likes this