Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

superfruit

This is not the greatest grow in the world, no, this is just a tribute

64 posts in this topic

And she's off. Nice one mate, good luck with the grow and comp :yep: 

2 people like this

Day 12 from seed

Day 8 above soil

I said from the start of this grow I was going to experiment a little, by starting in a small plastic pot and going to final around day 10 or so. I've had some issues keeping soil temperature DOWN believe it or not, mostly while I had the humidity dome left on top of her. 26.5c at times even, which is way above my target of 23.5c-24c. Likely caused by the radiant heat my 250w HPS is emitting as air temperature was a comfortable 23.5c-24c at pot level. I'll be using CFLs for the next run, until transplanting anyway.

Since removing the humidity dome and increasing extraction, soil temp has been better but not ideal, and I'm considering taking action by transplanting her into a 7.5ltr fabric final, sooner rather than later, where the soil can breathe a little more.

I'm still 50/50 running 20/4 or 24/0 (like last time). I have the automation to ensure a stable environment during the dark hours at least, but more light more bud. But this is a purple strain, and is it more likely to induce purples by reducing lighting and temps towards end of the grow?

large.6012b9fdd8792_Day8.jpg

Edited by superfruit
10 people like this

The first 10 days of life, and being transplanted into 7.5ltr final: this noob hasn't transplanted before..

As mentioned in an earlier post I had some soil temperature issues due to the radiant heat emitted from the HPS, but it seems like she just about made it through her first 10 days of life - despite wanting to grow upside-down originally, she seems fairy happy now.

I wish I could have taken more photographs of the transplant but being my first time, and only growing a single lady this time, I wanted to ensure I got her into the new home without the fuss. You may be wondering what the indent is at the bottom of the soil - that was the shape of the pot, and due to Covid was unable to get any normal-shaped pots before germinating her. The soil stayed together well and after transplant gave her 4 hours of darkness before returning to 24/0 lights. Also gave the pot a good soaking once transplanted - hopefully her roots will start searching for fresh food.

The Inkbirds and RootIts are doing a wonderful job at maintaining environment:

Ambient air temp: 23.5

Canopy temp (shade): 24.5-25c

Soil temp: targeting 23-24c though now she's in a fabric final, I may need to add some bubblewrap

Relative humidity: 63%

The Inkbird mobile apps are pretty terrible for data export. I've contacted asking if there's an API to access the data, and hope to share some nice looking graphs later in the grow - ideally overall trends vs only per day. Will keep you posted.

I'm still undecided whether or not to stick with 24/0 or 20/4, and I did say to myself I'd start the light cycle once transplanted. Sticking to that I have until tomorrow to decide!

large.6015688fce4b7_First10days.jpg

large.60156896dc929_Day10(2).jpglarge.60156899a2b49_Day10(3).jpg

11 people like this

Looks like you've potted up just at the right time...

BOL mate

PR

4 people like this

Seems she's rather happy in her new home - I can breathe a sigh of relief (:bong:). 0hrs and 48hrs after transplant, running 24/0 lighting for the time being. 

May switch to 20/4 once flowering starts, for now wanting to maximise her veg growth as much as possible, especially while she's happy. 

Due a second soaking later tonight, with water that's sat inside the tent for 24hrs to come up to temperature. I'll switch to straight-from-tap in the following feed when I'm less bothered about chlorine.

large.601827bbc16f9_Day1248hrsaftertransplant.jpg

Edited by superfruit
7 people like this

Looking nice @superfruit that small fabric will see your right. Also big up the inkbird lot love.  Transplant wonder. Lovely.

Don't know how old boys did 10 years ago with no technology ect. 

Edited by growinggold
3 people like this

I'm thinking of getting on this inkbird thing. They look ace. Save me wrecking another carbon filter with an unruly humidifier again. 

Best of luck with the devil :dev:

Edited by KC
Typo
4 people like this

Week 3 had come to a close.. 

.. and it's not been without its' challenges.

The transplant went really well, and she boomed over the following 48hours. I've used Plant Magic Supreme Soil back on the previous grow and I didnt need to add grow nutes until later in the grow, and that was going straight to finals.

Either she's particularly nitrogen hungry or this batch of soil isn't as hot. Anyway, she started to yellow up a bit and my super soft water started showing a trace element deficiency from what I could decrypt. 

Long story short is I started dosing with 0.5ml Magne-cal and 1ml Grow per litre (PL Oldtimers organics) and she immediately showed signs of improvement.

She's now on 1ml Magne-cal and 2ml Grow, soon increasing to 3ml Grow if I can get away with it.

By day 17 she was ready for some LST, and this time round I wanted to experiment with methods of tying down. Anchoring to the side of fabrics can pull the pot inward, inhibiting watering coverage. I figured a Ker-Plunk network of skewers would allow for nice vertical tie downs (no sliding on nodes) and a solid anchor for the main stem. These should really pay off later in the grow when branches far overhang the pot. Guess we'll see!

Shes responding really well to the training and new growth is popping up everywhere. I may even scrog this girl yet. Plenty of space for her to grow in this tent, all alone!

VPD is an interesting one. The charts seem to work nicely for LED LST differences of around -2 but when using HID you end up with an average of +4c which throws out RH big time - like +85% RH. This is something I'm going to spend more time on in future, likely after switching to LED. With that, my targeted environmental conditions are as follows:

Inside canopy air temp: 23-24c

Leaf surface temp: 26c

Root temp: 23.5c

Rh inside canopy: 60%

large.60251a0436be9_Day15(Large).jpg

large.60251a056417a_Day17beforelst(Large).jpglarge.602519f2632a9_Day17lsta(Large).jpglarge.602519f5a1bae_Day19(Large).jpg

large.602519fc1be2d_Day215(Large).jpglarge.602519ffaf83d_Day218(Large).jpglarge.602519f97d6a7_Day213(Large).jpglarge.602519fac68ae_Day214(Large).jpglarge.602519f72b107_Day211(Large).jpglarge.60251a02a09e6_Day22(Large).jpg

9 people like this

Kerplunk, 

that brings back memories :)

Atb 

:yinyang:

3 people like this

Week 4 has come to a close..

How to sum up this week? Well, very cold weather, plenty of nutes and lots of training to try and widen the canopy as wide as I dare while still using only a 250w HPS. And of course, what a transformational phase she's entered - stretch & flowering.

I followed @blackpoolbouncer advice this time round, and potted up at around 10 days instead of going straight to finals. I'm not sure how much we can attribute to this but this girl is like my kids - constantly hungry! I can only assume potting up has allowed for a better root structure than my first grow as she's drinking what was previously a 48hr water supply in less than 36hrs (roughly 1.75ltr fully saturated), and seems to continually demand and thank me for... additional nutrients.

Talking of nutrients I have transitioned from 3ml Grow, 1ml Magne-cal (per litre) to 1ml Grow (a little clawing started forming), 3ml Bloom and 1ml Magne-cal (such soft water here), and she's loving it like a chick in the nest, mouth wide open demanding more.

Bottom of canopy air temp: 21-22c 

Leaf surface temp: 24-26c

Root temp: 23.5c

Rh inside canopy: 60%

large.602e483c903f8_20210213_133227(Large).jpglarge.602e484ef3b58_20210218_090433(Large).jpglarge.602e4846541a2_20210218_090421(Large).jpg

9 people like this

Dark Devil is a lovely unique flavour, my wife agrees to some extent - She does not kiss me after smoking it! lol

Looking good there, that heating mat plays a massive part in the success I see you having, good job.

5 people like this

She's growing very well, good work on the potting up. Great training, keeping her very low for that neat little tent. Your high leaf temperatures do seem a bit odd, normally the evaporation of water from the leaf cools it down, but your environment sounds good and the plant looks happy in there. I find leaf temperature does go up and down throughout the day.

Good luck with her, I'm also growing Dark Devil Auto for the first time so will be interested to see what you think of the smoke.

2 people like this

In a short time you are enjoying the harvest.  :thumsup:

Sweet smokes,
- Apolo

3 people like this

@delagdo its the radiant heat from the hps that's heating the leaves. Roughly 4c higher than ambient. Whereas LED usually -2 difference to ambience. Or so I read! Which is why chasing VPD seems so difficult for HID lighting. Again, all based on what I've read and the Pulse VPD charts. Aside from that, I'm experimenting really! Live and learn n all.

I just know that targeting a lower air temp she seems happier than my previous grow which was 26-27c ambient (+4c leaf temp rule = over 30c leaf temp) which is too high based on an ideal leaf temp of 26c (again just something I read).

Which adds up really as a lot of the guides nowadays seem to recommend those temps, but they always seem to be using LED, which means leaf temps are -2 or so. The ideal leaf temp.

P.s. I'm new to the game. Just read a wide range of blogs, articles, videos and forums etc, and experimenting with a bit of my own theory. I could be totally wrong lol, but so far so good. Saves hammering electricity with rads or warmer bulbs

Edited by superfruit
4 people like this

Looking great mate, 

I've also got a couple of DD's in the post and will be my next grow, will be checking in to see how you get on, good luck!!

2 people like this