**Advanced Notice - Disabling use of "Display Name" for logging in - switching to email address log in instead**

Joolz

Please note that this is not of our choosing, the people at Invision are removing username login option in an upcoming major release of the forum software for 'security purposes'

It's not going to happen over night, there will be a fairly long period after upgrading to the next release before the option is removed and there will be plenty of prior warning but it would seem sensible to prepare everybody for this change as soon as possible

Sometime in the not too distant future, the option to use your display name to login to the site will be removed.

Why?

Everyone can see what your display name is - which means that all someone needs to do is try to guess your password. As the email address used by you on the site is known only to you, this introduces a second item that would need to be guessed.

When?

Sometime in the not too distant future.

What can you do in advance?

1. Ensure you know what the email address is on your account
  2. Ensure you can access that email account
  3. If you can't access your email account then you will need to change your email.
  4. Single use/temp/disposable mail will probably no longer be viable but you can easily get a free email from the likes of Gmail, Hotmail, live, GMX, Protonmail etc

If you have any questions, just ask below 👍

• Like 12

Shit it was 20 yrs ago and I haven't a clue what email address I used to join up here...

Will have a mooch and see if my aged brain can work out how to change it to a more recent one.

Wish me luck 😆 🤣 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

Shit it was 20 yrs ago and I haven't a clue what email address I used to join up here.

click on your name at the top and then account settings, you will see your email there

https://www.uk420.com/settings/

no need to panic though, the change is probably 6 months down the road yet 👍

• Like 3

Thanks @Joolz I think I'm set.

I hate change like when Dutch Bush became Skunk. 🪴

• Like 1

I know the email fucked if I can remember the password for said email I only used it to sign up here lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McHazy said:

I know the email fucked if I can remember the password for said email I only used it to sign up here lol

same

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

same

You might be able to change the email tied to your UK420 account without the email PW, I remember changing my email for the site last year 👍

Iirc you only need your UK420 login PW to change it.

With Admin powers @Joolz might be able to hot swap it for a new one for you?

Edited by Military Grade

6 hours ago, McHazy said:

fucked if I can remember the password for said email

You don't need it. All you will need to do is type that email address into uk420 instead of McHazy when you log in.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2024 at 11:00, McHazy said:

Account settings in your profile.....

• Like 1

Looks like I regained entry to my account by skin of my teeth then 🤣 remembered when trying to reset password after many, many, failed attempts that I'd used a disposable email, better rectify that now while I think about.

Edited by btk1977
cant type
  • Like 1

On 10/05/2024 at 16:10, latigid aikon said:

You don't need it. All you will need to do is type that email address into uk420 instead of McHazy when you log in.

@Joolz Please would you confirm whether this is the case? I used a temporary email service so won't be able to check the inbox.