Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

InTheSystem

SCOPEX-680 No-Till Rolling Diary | InTheSystem

24 posts in this topic

What up fellow farmers?! I am pleased to be back with another diary on the forum so quickly! This has been strange times with lockdowns, restrictions and so forth.. Nothing to do really but crack on full force! That said, plan has been in motion and I am converting to shed growing... That's right, living the mans dream! Not only that, but the lads at DiyLedUK HQ have kindly put me down as a tester for them to grow and document with the new SCOPEX-680 grow light! Would like to say a BIG thanks to @diyleduk and @Diyleduk Craig for the support and motivation booster to crack on. This isn't just giving me new equipment to use, but has also made me pull my finger out to get a diary going and growing back on form, bigup!

I will do the usual format with my diaries and of course, it will be a Living Soil / No-Till diary. This won't be a regular weekly updated diary, but a consistent one seeing various genetics grown out with the light cycle after cycle in the same soil un-tilled. As usual, tap water only: No EC or PH ever measured or adjusted meaningfully. Photos during the diary you are going to have to bear with me to be fair... I am shooting in Manuel mode on my DSLR and still learning my way around the camera in different scenarios and mostly lighting, so they will vary as I experiment with settings, tripod etc lol 

THE SHED
The shed is a basic 5.52m2 kit shed snapped up at a lumber yard during winter sales. The dimensions are 216 x 256 x 220cm, it didn't come with a floor - so I have ordered 6 skid beams and an 18mm sheet for the floor which arrives this week. For insulation, 75mm cellotex panels will be added and then covered with 12mm sheets. Intake will be a 6 inch inlet, outtake 8 inch as per my RVK fans. The flower chamber will be 1.5 x 1.5 x 2m which is all I can really confirm at the second to be honest. I am a build and go guy, difficult for me to take a sketch and plan rather than stepping inside and seeing what actually works functionally and practically. So anything else in the shed will be built around the flower chamber on the fly with ducktape and a hammer like a true pro lollol  Anyway, a chippy mate is coming down to give me a hand, so should be more than a pile of wood on the weekend :D 

large.ShedKit.jpg

The plan moving forwards, is to add a 3000w inverter, solar panels and batteries so that it can take some strain off the grid consumption. However, my budget has been spunked - so it will be an addition Easter time greatly welcomed being based in south east of Spain. Got to be worth a go right?!

SCOPEX-680 LED GROW LIGHT

This is the latest in LED lighting, I shall just start off saying I have owned and used 5 different makes/models of LED lights including; HLG Quantum boards, Scope V1/V2, Atreum ARA-20 and Highlight V1 - so definitely feel in a good position to stretch the lights legs and give some honest feedback. The light I have is the SCOPEX-680 ADVANCED model which is similar to the PRO, the difference being a 0.1 μmol/j as the ADVANCED uses Samsung LM301H white diodes and the PRO uses Osram white diodes. They both feature Osram 660nm deep red diodes (to my knowledge). Unboxing it was quite the experience, I have owned a 6 bar strip LED light thinking it was a big fixture, this box was big! I genuinely thought the Mrs had ordered a new TV, so sent Adam a message excited after discovering it was from him. Adam replied something like "Wait until you get it out the box..." - it was folded in half! These are big fixtures and really look smart folded, and unfolded:

large_pic4.jpg

large_pic6.jpg

large_pic3.jpg

large_pic1.jpg

The brightness impact on them is 10/10 really, they are blinding! The photos above were taken with the light dimmed to 280w or it would have been tricky to get exposure haha! I do have a sticker kit on route so excuse it's nakedness. With the fixture itself, the kettle power lead input is a dream. I had 4 Meanwell drivers and cables hanging down on my last grow combining LED fixtures - so this a huge plus for me having a single cable and plug for my lighting. Dimming is done with a dial on the fixture, which is amazing compared to using a screw driver to adjust a dimming screw. I will get the controller hooked up when they land, but this is just peachy for now:

large_pic5.jpg

GENETICS IN DA SHED
I am on a bit of a Strain Hunter mission right now - after losing loads of time running seed packs, losing mum's and generally not being satisfied with the final outcomes after having a vast mother collection in the past..... So with a little help, I am not cycling through some genetics. Current mother plants in my cab with T5 lights is:

Apple Fritter - Lumpy's Flowers
Unknown information on this strain heritage, that I know of anyway.
large.AppleFritter-Mum.jpg

Root Brother - The Source Genetics / ThaRealOGKushman
Rootbeer BX1 x Pure Thai x Face Off #4
large.RootBrother-Mum.jpg

Sour Lime Glue - Unknown Info
No info currently on this strain, it may come soon though. Bit of an animal though thus far!
large.SourLimeGlue-Mum.jpg

I also have Jungle Cake, Runtz, Ice Cream Cake cuts with a mate I will grab in the next couple of weeks and will probably give MAC 1 a run at some stage also. That should keep things interesting cycling through different genetics, some of it being "Cali Hype" I guess too... The overall game plan here, will be to keep track of flavours, effect, THC tested levels etc in a spreadsheet or similar I can refer too (geek!) and filter down the mum's to personal keepers/faves. I am no connoisseur by any means, but I would like to end up with 4 mum's I can pull cuts off on repeat and keep it to that... Probably a bit ambitious, but I do like a challenge!

LIVING SOIL MIX
I will be using the same soil mix as my previous cycle/diary in the DiyLedUK 2020 Grow Diary competition. This will be cycle 3.... For anyone not following along from last time, my soil mix is:
- 40% Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
- 40% Worm Castings
- 10% Coco Coir
- 10% Biochar

Per cubic foot, the soil is amended with:
- 3/4 cup of Kelp Meal
- 3/4 cup of Neem Cake
- 3/4 cup of Crab Meal
- 1 cup of Malted Barley (2-row diastatic ground fresh only)
- 7 cups of Basalt

PEST CONTROL
Anyone following me last time will know I had massive spider mite issues on my last cycle towards the last week of flower. This is something I really will be going to town on this time! Basically, it took me over a month to get rid of the spider mite completely AFTER chopping. The main conclusion, was that my Emerald Mountain Royal Wedding was a fucking beacon for spider mite indoors! I figured this is not really an issue outside, as you have environmental factors such as; wind, rain, humidity what don't make it so habitable for an infestation. I have passed the cut to a friend who grows outdoors, so it's safe should it be worth keeping for outside runs only. Since getting rid of it, I have not done any pesticide or neem foliar treatment - only lots of Dill seedlings growing, occasional Aloe foliars and good air circulation using an oscillating fan. 

Being a new grow room, I don't have any predators established now, unless they have hung out in the soil for 6 weeks or so outside! That said, I will be making full use of Indian warefare in the forms of; Beauvianna Bassiana,Verticillium Lecanii and Metarhizium Anisopliae. These are organic fungus that as a foliar blended, will paralyse, shut down and kill off any soil or leaf critters. This was information passed to me by FarmerPalmersNT, so shout out to the badman! Once the grow room, bed and girls are established - I will start adding predators, millipedes and all sorts to get the soil food web and pest prevention back into full flow as quickly as possible.

SNIP AND GO!
I think that's everything I can say, so down to business! First step was to grab snips off the mums. I take my cuts using tap water and freshly squeezed gel from Aloe Vera plants. I let the stems sit in the water for 24 hours to eliminate oxygen entry and then plug them into eazycubes. Set and forget in the prop for 5 days, then start hardening in with air so they don't wilt when you remove them from the prop:

Apple Fritter

large.AppleFritter-Clone.jpg

Root Brother

large.RootBrother-Clone.jpg

Sour Lime Glue
large.SourLimeGlue-Clone2.jpg

With the cold nights at the moment they have taken way longer than usual to throw roots, so I put a heat mat on 2 days ago and the Sour Lime Glue shot roots the 24-48 hours. I expect the rest will follow in the next day or two:

large.SourLimeGlue-Clone.jpg

Right, that's enough waffling! I do struggle with these first posts to condense info.. Should probably just link to a previous diary, but hey ho! I will check back in on the weekend with the shed build completed and hopefully everything potted up into 1 litres ready to move into the No-Till bed soon after. I will also get cover crop and companion plant down in the main bed - or the cuts will just out grow it within 2 weeks lol 

Thanks for looking, stay safe everyone!

Edited by InTheSystem
27 people like this

Excellent start for the new grow. Tagging along to see this transform.

Toke...

3 people like this

• lovely to see you back @InTheSystem !! chair pulled up and got bifta in hand and an extra one for yourself and anyone else for that matter;) the shed idea is something i can proper vibe with as a tinkerer ;) coupled with the solar self-sufficiency...:punk: wishing you good luck with the grows ahead and I will try and get bit more involved this time as remembver your advice and great threads to follow...so far.... inspiring and getting the note pad out ;)
2 people like this

I like the rolling diary idea :yep:

a nice mix of genetics is always good to mix it up for tolerance.

Good luck with the new shed :) 

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with this beast in a no till situation.

Atb

:yinyang:

2 people like this

Looking forward to seeing how the Scope-x does with the living soil.

the light looks excellent, im really looking forward to getting mine.

im sure you're gonna smash it, in your new grow shed.

good luck man

6 people like this

@tokenroll - Straight in there! An honour my friend to have you on board! Hopefully I can do the light some justice haha

@*BANG* - Thanks for the kinds words Dude, good to have you onboard. I will do my best to keep the info flowing!

@Shumroom - Cheers mate! I thought it would be cool to utilize this style of growing by documenting cycles with updates every 2 or 3 weeks kind of thing. That way can see the cycles get better and the genetics get displayed. My tolerance is pretty low to be honest Dude, I smoke a couple in the evening and it bollocks me lollol I enjoy the growing more then smoking to be honest. I still have bits in jars from 2 years ago haha

@badbillybob - Yes mate! Good to have you on board. Was chatting with @Diyleduk Craig earlier and he mentioned you was getting a light. I said I knew you from DWC days and that will be a joy to watch! I will be hitting you up on yields though fella purely out of interest. I am starting to hit big yields now No-Till (1.1/2+), so it will be a fun comparison. Eyes are peeled for your diary man.

7 people like this

Oh boy this is gonna be a corker.

Fingers crossed you've seen the end of the little buggers.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with the ScopeX too in RDWC @badbillybob. Winning combination having you two testing them out really....covering pretty much each end of the growing spectrum.

Edited by Diyleduk Craig
6 people like this

Im in for this one :) 

Farmer G 

3 people like this

@Diyleduk Craig - Yes now! Good to see you checking in bro. This is going to be one hell of a show having had a play with the light. Just waiting on 6x3m skid beams and it's go go go. Spidermite are not going to have a chance, fool me once that's fair enough, twice is just careless lollol I know what to expect down south here now, so guard is fully up! I think with the fungus from India, Dill & Chinese Parsley (spider mite hate them) is a good first defense barrier. I have ordered half a litre of neem oil and still have plenty of soapnuts to emulsify it as typical foliar / pest management. I will try to refrain from spunking 150 euro on predators until it warms up a bit in a month, so they can establish better. The fungus would kill them anyway haha

Very good choices on growers for testing in my opinion. @Smokebelch and G both absolutely crush it too. Will be cool seeing the light pushed in different scenarios and growing styles for sure! :D 

@FARMER G - Yooo! Cool to see you in here mate! Always enjoyed your diaries man... Got the full SCOPEX crew in here nearly now lollol 

6 people like this

Nice one will just park my arse ower here in the corner tae watch proceedings like :yep:

Good luck wi em man 

4 people like this

Exciting stuff! ScopeX looks awesome mate, can't wait to see it in action. Photos seem to getting better and better too - this is a beautifully presented diary already. 

All the best man and good luck with rest of the shed construction. Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together :yep: 

5 people like this

@McHazy - Always welcome mucka! I just caught up on your Par+ test diary, dunno how the fook I missed that one lol I am just getting back on here properly and catching up with diaries after letting all the lockdowns and rules get to me.. I dare venture in the breeders diaries section at the second, I will be here all week! Will check in to a couple each evening I reckon until up-to-speed.

@SYZYGY - Yo mate! Welcome aboard.. The SCOPEX is a beast mate, never seen anything like it.. Really look forward to getting the No-Till bed running under her. The shed construction should go well providing I don't smoke too much and certainly don't have a beer at lunch. Game plan! Stay straight, then enjoy the rewards lol I am getting there with the photos, had a lot of help though recently getting things explained and dialled in. I want to get an external speed flash as they are only about 40€ on Amazon. Ring flash and extension tubes would be great for flower shots too as I still don't feel a Macro lens would benefit me until all my pics are coming out all crisp and ultimately - really know/have control of each photo, it's a big investment with the lenses. Although only having a metre in the shed to take photos, my focal distance is really short... Not sure exactly what lens would get around that yet, wide angle.. I think. When everything is still and on a tripod I can get good shots. Moment something has motion like holding the clones pics, motion blur comes in. Not really figured all that out with shutter speeds etc - so I think I will just stage photos now like the light and mother plant shots, stick with the tripod and slow shutter until better understanding. Such a rabbit hole the DSLR. Spend a year taking steps forwards to realise doing everything wrong lol I whack my 48MP phone out for instagram sometimes and snap and it's great with all the sensors, the DSLR is awful on automatic - but shall continue on the quest. 

Bit off on a tangent there. Hours and hours, on occasions nearly chucking the camera out the window will do that lollol Thanks for the kind words mate, always a pleasure having you checking in. Rooting for you on the competition ;)  Good efforts from all though, I hope everyone votes who was reading the diaries.

6 people like this

All over this like a rash, love good shed me.

Great stuff. 

5 people like this

Heyyy up @InTheSystem mate. 
Not sure how I missed this one starting off, as I’ve always got an eye out for your diaries.  
These new range off light’s Diyleduk is bringing out seem amazing, so can’t wait to see you with a Scope X 680 in your hands. 
An I get to see the root brother strain :realcool:

Totally engrossing op, I enjoyed reading that, an seeing new project about to take shape. 

Im up in the usual seat, way pre rolled doobie’s, chilled drinks an latte’s on tap, for when you need time out lol :thumsup:

Good luck brother :rockon:

4 people like this

Best of luck dude. 

3 people like this