Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BonnieAuto

Rooting cuttings in water ?

I have seen loads of videos of people doing it on YouTube. 

literally just water in a cup sort of thing, I did a batch of soil and a bunch in water last weed, first time takings cuttings but nearly all the soil cuttings are half dead/droopy but the plants in water all look healthy ? 

anyone have experience with the water only method ? 

they will root fine, just put about an 1inch of water in a cup or glass or what ever. Put them somewhere warm with some light and change the water every day. You should start to see little nubs where the roots start growing in about 10 days maybe more depends on the cutting. Some strains root quick some don't.

Your cuttings in the soil will rot if it is too damp.

Edited by tokenroll
3 people like this

Interesting.  I have just tried this method as an experiment, and they all died except for one.  However,  I never changed the water every day.  Mine were in large diameter test tubes with gentle heat underneath and gentle light overhead.  The leaves just withered, and no sign of roots at all.  One survived out of five. 

3 people like this

I got really good results by using lots of water and introducing an air stone.

3 people like this

I'll be sticking with a diy cloner from now on, only method that's given me 100%. Generally 4/5 days and good roots to pop in a 1L. Worked in just as long with flowering cuts(week 4) aswell. <£30 large.IMG-20201205-WA0008.jpg

Edited by anarchycamp
Wrong picture
6 people like this

@tokenroll aw okay thanks,  my soil cuttings are sitting in tubs with a cling film dome and I am spraying once a day. 

Do you Think that's okay ? 

large.20210110_121115.jpg

@Phoenix

I was wondering about doing that but I don't really have spare cash for a air stone and the vibrations I could do without if am honest. 

@anarchycamp

that's pretty cool mate. is that just a small water pump doing that ? I have spare piping in the loft and a tiny water pump. I may make the same if the results are that fast. 

2 people like this

@BonnieAuto hey I take my cuts and root them out in a set up very similar to yours. I noticed a couple of things which might explain why you are struggling a bit and I thought I would mention these to you.

I think it is a mistake to just fill the tub with compost and then plant cuts straight into this, you are not allowing any drainage within the soil and the lack of air is going to cause that soild to go off pretty quickly.

I use small plastic cups, with plenty of drainage whole in the bottom, these are filled up with compost and the cuts are placed in there before being watered. the cups are then placed in the tub and sealed with clingfilm. I place a sheet of paper or kitchen roll over the tub to start with to reduce the light intensity and the tub is placed on a heat mat to maintain temperature. Here is a pic of what my tub looks like this picture was taken 1 week after making the cuts.

large.5fdca296338c9_clones2resize.jpg

Hope this helps.

atb

greenie

3 people like this

large.IMG-20201205-WA0013.jpglarge.5fc15963f0bd8_12cloner.jpg@BonnieAuto that's exactly that, 1200L/h 25w pump(£8), bit of piping(half inch to fit the pump), 4 right angles, 3 T pieces and a water heater (50w, but it's just a mini aquarium one). 

Youll need to buy some 360 aero misters off the bay, drill holes and screw them in, use a tool or gloves as they are a bitch to insert, I pushed/popped them in opposed to screwing. Fill to above the pump and quarter bottle of Forumlex or something similar.

It had to be a 33L bucket from the grow shop annoyingly after going through RUBS and tubs haha only thing that actually stayed sealed

Edited by anarchycamp
Added picture of contraption
7 people like this

@green_machineThanks for the pointers mate, I know temps could be better on my end 

@anarchycampCheers for the great pic's and explanation mate, you've convinced me! the sprayers will arrive here Wednesday thanks to amazon lol

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, Lancaster8 said:

Interesting.  I have just tried this method as an experiment, and they all died except for one.  However,  I never changed the water every day.  Mine were in large diameter test tubes with gentle heat underneath and gentle light overhead.  The leaves just withered, and no sign of roots at all.  One survived out of five. 

You need to change the water every day to keep it oxygenated....I've done it plenty times

2 people like this

have swapped and changed over the years, for the last couple of years have used light potting compost in small pots and had 100% success rate, is a no brainer if growing in compost i'm using plagron allmix seedling are transplanted into it by week 3, i just pop the seeds/cuttings in the compost and water when needed with a little root juice is so sipmple

Edited by hash72
2 people like this