Polytunnel autoflower

Crow River

As mentioned in another polytunnel thread, I'm about to embark upon a small experiment in "outdoor" growing.

I finished erecting a small polytunnel type greenhouse earlier this month, and have been kiting it out to grow the usual tomatoes, peppers, etc. I also want to try growing some weed in there, but in a very discreet way.

I'm planning on popping a single autoflower into my polytunnel. I'll use a 15 litre pot, so if need be the plant can be moved around or taken to another location entirely.

I've chosen a stealthy strain  - Auto Duck from Dutch Passion. This has ducksfoot shaped leaves, not classic canna shaped leaves. Reputedly does not give off much odour either. I'll try to camouflage the plant using companion planting, will also grow some runner beans outside to reduce visibility, and put up a netting screen inside. 

The polytunnel has side windows which allow for passive airflow ventilation. Even so, humidity may be a concern and I'll need to watch out for odour during flowering. Have planted mint and lavender right next to the polytunnel to try and mask the smell a bit.

I'm going the chemicals route regarding fertiliser, and commercial compost too. Will just be feeding the plant the same stuff my tomatoes and peppers get. Also the same compost mix that I currently use in my indoor grows. Had considered using a Blumat dripper watering system for this plant and my tomatoes, but I've dropped the idea as it may create too much humidity. Instead I'll use the buried water bottle system for the tomatoes, and a trio of "classic" Blumats for the Auto Duck. Hopefully this approach will give some of the advantages of a dripper system, without the surface water evaporation.

I'll be germinating seeds for my summer grows once my current cabinet grow is drying, probably sometime next week. Will update here when that happens.

• Like 11

I be following mate i about to grow in a greenhouse for the first time in the 420l comp so we see how we go 

• Like 2

I'll be planting new seeds in soil this Wednesday. Auto Duck from Dutch Passion Seed Company will go in the polytunnel.

large.DSC01125.jpeg

The Big Yield Auto will be going in the grow cabinet, the Dr Jack Auto by my south facing window...

• Like 5

Day 1 of the new grow. 

Auto Duck (from Dutch Passion Seed Company) sprouted overnight. 

She's on the windowsill in the propagator for now. I use a cool white LED lamp after sunset to help things along a bit. I'll keep her here for a while before she gets transferred to the polytunnel.

large.DSC01171.jpeg

• Like 6

The Auto Duck seedling was in the propagator until mid-week, when I noticed a carpet of white/grey mould had appeared on the soil. Obviously too warm and moist in there, so I took it out and it's been on the windowsill since. The mould receded recently. Weather was very overcast these past few days, so I kept a cool white LED lamp above the seedling 24 hours to top up the DLI in an attempt to stop it getting too spindly. No sign of roots escaping the fibre pot yet, so haven't potted up as yet. Will probably move it over to the polytunnel sometime in the next week.

large.DSC01180.jpeg

• Like 5

I was checking on the polytunnel today, to make sure the other plants I have in there were okay. Seems I have fungus gnats already! Wee beggars! Wondering how I can keep them in check a bit?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Crow River said:

I was checking on the polytunnel today, to make sure the other plants I have in there were okay. Seems I have fungus gnats already! Wee beggars! Wondering how I can keep them in check a bit?

IF your looking for something non chemical try useing Sundews .  A species called Drosera Capensis works well . Need to use soft water for them and no fertilizer as they will feed on your Fungas gnats

• Like 2

3 hours ago, trichomehi said:

Following, first time for me growing in a greenhouse, good luck..

Cheers man, are you doing a diary? Will follow back if so.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, popespliff said:

IF your looking for something non chemical try useing Sundews .  A species called Drosera Capensis works well . Need to use soft water for them and no fertilizer as they will feed on your Fungas gnats

That's an interesting idea. Am in a soft water area so ideal. I think for speed I'm just going with peroxide soil soak this time around. I will look into insectivorous plants though, I like the sound of that. :) 

E2A: Just bought a few Sundews online. I will pop a couple of these in the polytunnel, but will also use H2O2 soil drench to kill larvae as a first line of attack, get the numbers down. Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Crow River said:

Cheers man, are you doing a diary? Will follow back if so.

Yep, probably in a couple of weeks, there under cfl at moment, night temps still under 7c, I'll tag you when i start..

• Like 2

Just now, trichomehi said:

Yep, probably in a couple of weeks, there under cfl at moment, night temps still under 7c, I'll tag you when i start..

Cool, look forward to checking it out. :) 

• Like 2

All of a sudden roots are bursting out of the fibre pot today. So this seedling will be going in the polytunnel in its final pot tomorrow.

• Like 1

Things got a bit busy here so I was unable to make it to the polytunnel this afternoon as planned. This created a dilemma, as the Auto Duck seedling needed repotting to allow the roots to grow further. So I did something unusual and quickly potted up into an intermediate container, in this case just a yoghurt pot with some drainage holes made in the base. Normally it's not something I'd do with an autoflower, but needs must. This will be a temporary stopgap for a few days until I can get along to the polytunnel (I don't have a garden, it's not on my property). At least the wee girl can expand her roots a bit, maybe add some leaves. Just hoping that the extra transplant to come later won't stunt her too much.

large.DSC01189.jpeg

• Like 3