Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Firstimegrower_420

I cant get humidity up

65 posts in this topic

I decided to put my smaller tent to use so hope to use as a clone and seedlind tent, i never done this before so yesterday I bought the very basics and hope to get started but the problem im finding is getting my humidity up to the 80's which I believe I need to help roots develop. 

I bought a Maxibright 125w CFL lamp and hanger and the heat is there which I'm pleased about as its aroumd 25/27 but my humidity is only around 55% 

I've only one cutting inside but how do i increase it to where I need, ive added wet t shirt inside, i dontt have any air circulation inside the tent, when opening it its like stepping out a plane abroad and heat is in your face but himidity is still low, i thought heat and still air created high humidity. 

Any advice welcome 

I grow from seed so not a clue with cuttings but don’t people add clingfilm over the top of there pots to keep the moisture inside to help?

why don’t you have any air circulation? 

2 people like this

humidifier with distilled water

1 person likes this

I’ve heard of people placing a few bowls of water inside the tent with a fan blowing at them aswell which apparently helps with humidity 

2 people like this

1 minute ago, _Jamie_ said:

I grow from seed so not a clue with cuttings but don’t people add clingfilm over the top of there pots to keep the moisture inside to help?

why don’t you have any air circulation? 

Because i haven't added any to it... is it something I'm meant to do?  I just thought a light and propergstor would do, plus I wouldn't be able to get the fan under the lid of the propergator so even if there was omen hanging inside the tent i dont know if it would make any difference as all vents on propergator are closed as advised to do when I bought it

It won't ever be used as a flower tent as once they're OK to move into my other tent ill do more vegging and take into flower. 

3 minutes ago, _Jamie_ said:

I’ve heard of people placing a few bowls of water inside the tent with a fan blowing at them aswell which apparently helps with humidity 

thanks but im using my propergator inside the tent so the water bowl and fan would need to sit outside, just not sure how that would then increase the humidity within the propergstor as its outside it, if thats making sense lol

Pic

Edited by lildaveham
Offsite pics
1 person likes this

Where are you taking the humidity reading from?

Inside the tent? Or inside the prop??

55% isn't the end of the world anyway but I'd be surprised if it were that low inside a closed propagator tbh..

E2+ a small cup of water inside the prop and a heat source below it would bring it up in no time.  Also try and get that bulb hanging horizontal and preferably with some sort of reflector (conversion kits for regular barn shades are cheap and readily available).

As it is most of your light is hitting the tent walls :yinyang:

Atb

Edited by Dodgee
5 people like this

Thats way too much light for rooting cuts, I would raise the light and put a magazine or some thing on top the prop.

Thats also a huge prop for one cutting, if you fill up with some more cuttings then the humidity will rise.

Also as above you need to take the reading inside the prop, not the tent it’s in. 

6 people like this

A sandwich bag would work better for a few cuts than a massive prop.

I doubt anyone grows at 80% humidity, it would ruin their carbon filter pretty quickly

3 people like this

@Dodgee thanks for the input, I was offered a reflector but it meant cutting the plug off and putting a 3pin on and im no fecking about wirh electrics so just bought the hanger instead 

I just found an old box and lined it wirh tin foil and taped to the side of the tent and  its keeping the light down low now. 

@Smokebelch I have rhe probe inside the propergator and vents shut, I know its a fair size for 1 cutting but there's no much i can do except use a cloche on a plate like the other photo ive just taken so ill use that and try and look fir a perspex piece i can used as a divider in my propergator fir when they become bigger.

I'm no sure what to do with light lifting up as I read everywhere it needs to be close to the plants? 

Edited by lildaveham
Offsite pics
1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, KC said:

A sandwich bag would work better for a few cuts than a massive prop.

I doubt anyone grows at 80% humidity, it would ruin their carbon filter pretty quickly

Hi @KC I've no filter inside as I won't be taking it the whole cycle, its just for cutting and seeds into early veg stage of maybe 4 to 5 wks

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Firstimegrower_420 said:

I'm no sure what to do with light lifting up as I read everywhere it needs to be close to the plants? 

Please inform us where you read EVERYWHERE that it needs to be close?

Lift the light to the very top and use a few A4 sheets over the prop to diffuse the light more. Then just chill for 10-14 days. Constant temps of 22-25C will help speed things up. 

5 people like this

Cfls need to be very close to plants, but not unrooted cuttings. You got no plastic sandwich bags? 51% isn't high enough for cuts.

White paper over the prop/bag will help diffuse some light

Edited by KC
slippy got there first
1 person likes this

Just looking at your big propagator on the first few posts, you've got a probe and some electric cable going into the prop. That's your problem right there, it needs to be fully sealed. 

4 people like this