Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

howler01

Update on first attempt at no-till

Here's a little update from my post http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/403784-building-a-100-gallon-living-soil-bed/#comment-5265474 from last month.

I mixed everything in which took a good few hours. Added a couple of inches of mulch collected from local woodland and watered in. A little doubt crept in at this point as I started seeing things crawling around the surface and I wondered exactly what creatures I was introducing. Removed a few snails and slugs, some kind of moth or beetle larvae, a stink bug and a giant bumble bee that flew out and made me jump in surprise.

I then realised that I had forgotten to sow the cover crop seeds (clover, yarrow, basil, Thai basil and borage) so I just added them to the top of the mulch layer before adding straw and hoped they would still germinate ok. 

I had planned to let the soil sit for a few days but I was a little concerned that my vegging plants weren't doing too well in their small pots. I had a little vape to ponder over this and on impulse I decided to add them to the pot immediately.

large.IMG_9950.jpg

As this was my first time using such a massive bed, I accidentally watered a little too much in the first ten days as I was concerned the top was drying out. (I am definitely getting Blumats for the next round) I think I have the hand watering dialled in now though. I'm using a moisture meter and watering every 4-5 days when it's showing about 15% moisture. Saw a few comments saying the meters should be chucked in the bin as they are useless but the readings seem consistent and enable me to check moisture without disturbing the soil.

Three weeks later and I've taken a few clones of each plant and started a gradual flip which will be complete in 2 days ( -1 hour each day) Just taken this photo and as you can see they are going crazy. Having to do daily LST as the growth is so vigorous but I'm pleased with the way the canopy has spread out. All leaves looking very healthy! (sorry about the shitty orangey light from the HPS)

large.IMG_0072.jpg

Was thinking of trying a SCROG net for the first time but I'm worried the Strawberry lemonade (top left) would take over and the Do-Si-Dos (bottom left) would get dwarfed. 

Not much of the cover crop showing apart from a load of grass from the barley straw. A lot of the seeds germinated and stretched out loads but now seem to have vanished. Not too worried   though as there is plenty of nitrogen in all the worm castings. There's not much going on in the mulch layer yet but I expect it will take a month or two for the worms and other beneficials to settle in and start doing their thing.

Will be adding the first lot of amendments later today. I had planned on using nettle and horsetail but there's nowt available this time of year unfortunately. 

Very pleased with things so far but the next few weeks are unchartered territory for me. Will post another update once flowering is established.

16 people like this

Looking good dude. 

2 people like this

9 hours ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

Looking good dude. 

Thanks bud. Your mega-bed post was my main influence.

After reading that I listened to every Kis Organics podcast as well as Growcast and Shaping Fire. Also read The One-Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka which delves into the philosophy of gardening and no-till. I finally read the Teaming With series by Jeff Lowenfels (had tried to get through them previously but just couldn't get into the science stuff until your thread got me excited showed exactly how it could be done)

Can't imagine growing any other way now.

3 people like this

How do you reuse this after harvest? Do you remove the plants stumps and root balls or just put new seeds into a different area?

1 hour ago, howler01 said:

Thanks bud. Your mega-bed post was my main influence.

After reading that I listened to every Kis Organics podcast as well as Growcast and Shaping Fire. Also read The One-Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka which delves into the philosophy of gardening and no-till. I finally read the Teaming With series by Jeff Lowenfels (had tried to get through them previously but just couldn't get into the science stuff until your thread got me excited showed exactly how it could be done)

Can't imagine growing any other way now.

Glad it helped man, thanks for the kind words. 

1 person likes this

Another update.. Disaster Strikes!

Just got an email from the landlord informing me of a leccy safety test that has to be done soon in my rented accommodation. Looking at other posts about this and it seems like they'll need to be in every single room in the house including the spare room where my grow is.

Pretty devastated as just getting into week 3 of flower and the whole tent is like a jungle with proper monster growth and prob the best plants I've ever grown. There's no way of saving them as they all in the same bed. 3 months planning and 6 weeks of growth down the drain.

looks like I'm going to have to kill them all and start again. luckily I've taken clones that I think are just starting to root so I can hide these in a cupboard when they visit. Plan is to strip the tent down from the frame and flatten to floor so it can be covered and disguised. The bed can also be left in place or maybe I'll try pushing it against the wall as it's in the middle of the room. Then it will be covered with loads of boxes and shelving units can be pushed up next to it to further conceal and hopefully look like a store room full of junk. All the ducting, fans, lights etc will be stashed in a cupboard. I'm hoping all the soil and all the root balls don't smell too much being left in the pots. Think I'll put some wet towels over the surface to help mask it. Any advice on that?

I also have a small veg/clone tent that has a couple of autos in that are currently in middle of flower and not due to finish for another 2-3 weeks. Hopefully I can postpone the visit and tell them I'm sick or something until these are finished. 

Has anyone else had a similar visit?

pile a load of shit just over the notill and make it look like youre decorating the room and piled everything in the middle....or dig them up and put them in pots until its done. You could also claim to be self isolating for a couple of weeks, as per government instructions.

Edited by smilertoo
3 people like this

On 29/02/2020 at 0:20 PM, smilertoo said:

How do you reuse this after harvest? Do you remove the plants stumps and root balls or just put new seeds into a different area?

Sorry just seen this. The best way is to chop at the base and leave the rootballs for the worms to do their stuff. New plants can grow right next to the old ones.

44 minutes ago, smilertoo said:

or dig them up and put them in pots until its done

Thought of that but not sure if I'd shock it too much and damage the root system as they still stretching quite a bit and full on exploding

What a shame dude.  You could rent a van for the day, but fuck knows how you'd get that mega bed out the room, down the stairs and into the van, plus plants would be stinkin by then.

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, Herbsman said:

What a shame dude.  You could rent a van for the day, but fuck knows how you'd get that mega bed out the room, down the stairs and into the van, plus plants would be stinkin by then.

Ha yeah even if it could be lifted it would take like 4 people at least and it's 1m diameter so wouldn't even get through any door. 

1 person likes this

Dude...you’ve got the perfect excuse,..got a cold been told to self isolate for 2 weeks. 
no ones going come round your house for a few weeks lol 

3 people like this

12 hours ago, Lean Bear said:

Dude...you’ve got the perfect excuse,..got a cold been told to self isolate for 2 weeks. 
no ones going come round your house for a few weeks lol 

Yeah for sure. Just hope the 2 autos are finished soon or I'll have to stash them in the boot of my car for a day.

great looking plants, whats the idea behined using one big pot ?