Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

robin_hood_guerilla

Strain choice overload, overwhelmed by options.

New virgin grower here (  except for a grow in 2014 that was ripped in the first week (I got seen, schoolboy error)  ).

In advance apologies for a repetitive type of thread that is seen very often, stop reading now if you're bored of strain advice! Thing is I have done a lot of reading and I suffering from information overload on guerrilla strains.:smokin:

Looking at the main strain sticky its hard to take in all the information and my months of research around 2013 seem to be a becoming potentially out-of-date with the evolving trends of what people here are growing and new strains being created by breeders.

From what I have read:

Full season:

Durban Poison = reliable (mould resistant) and strong smoke

Frisian Dew = weak smoke but v. mould resistant

Passion #1

Purple Maroc

Lots of other strains!

Semi -auto:

RGSC Fast Diesel

RGSC DFG

Any other reconsiderations on semi-autos / early flowering?

Auto:

Apparently these strains are getting better to grow than before. Good for stealth and avoiding mould. Sometimes not good smoke and low yields depending on strain. Some mould up easily.

Not sure which strain is best as there is a bewildering variety.

In 2014 I attempted to grow Onyx and Mi5 from Short Stuff, at least they germinated well.

----

Just wondering how I can try and narrow down the right strains to buy seeds for? Maybe one of each of Photo, Semi-auto, auto -- as I cant spend too much on seeds and I don't want too many plants, and multiple harvest times should help avoid loosing everything to mould come the heavy rains.

My priorities are:

• Reliability & Mould tolerance - I wont have a lot of plants and I am in a rainy part of the UK (54 lat, west of England). I need to have reliability as I think many plants could be lost to rippers and mould so the few survivors need to survive!
  • Potency: this doesn't need to be very high as I am a low tolerance very occasional toker, but I don't want dud weed that cant get me a good high.
  • Yield, this doesn't need to be high either, as long as its more than only one spliff! I'd like a minimum of 2oz from my 2020 attempt.
  • ^the above two points could raise my chances of meeting my goals a lot! Many growers here seem to get massive hauls to smoke daily till the next season and more, but ive also seen disappointing grows too, i.e lost to mould or rippers.

What do you veterans think of this:

• Durban poison x 3
  • Frisian Dew x 3
  • RGSC Fast Deisel x 3
  • HSO Blue Dream Auto x 5

Can I do better?

I'm also a bit conflicted on the RGSC Fast Diesel, as they look like huge yielding plants and are well hyped up here but seem to be susceptible to bud rot.

Thank in advance for letting me pick your brains. It's a great community here.

I've seen some people get good results with Hollands hope and I'm higher up north. GL ! 

1 person likes this

Be sure to keep an eye on this threadThe Guerrilla Growers Plant Of The Year 2019

Results will be soon, and it was a really bad year for mold for alot of people, so these top strains are real champions,  ideal strain choices for new and pro growers for next year. Also try searching for last years plant of the year thread (not sure how many years it goes back) and you have more champions to choose from. makes strain hunting much easier :yep:
I had great results with Purple Maroc, pretty plant but still had little mold though, Frisian is ok, reliable same as Purple Maroc, but there is much better out there, Durban is just a classic, always nice when grown well, never tried HSO Blue Dream, Fast Diesel have only heard very good things about them, not tried them though, although i'd like too.

If you are searching for 100% mold free, i have to say i think it's just touch and go each year, each year is different with different strains at different lattitudes and even at different plots by same grower sometimes, 100% mold free in my opinion is not guaranteed, but plenty of strains are certainly damn good at resisting mold, just gotta take ya chances each year!! 

Good luck deciding for next year!!

:yinyang::bong::yinyang:

Edited by SubSpecies
2 people like this

11 hours ago, SubSpecies said:

Be sure to keep an eye on this threadThe Guerrilla Growers Plant Of The Year 2019

Results will be soon, and it was a really bad year for mold for alot of people, so these top strains are real champions,  ideal strain choices for new and pro growers for next year. Also try searching for last years plant of the year thread (not sure how many years it goes back) and you have more champions to choose from. makes strain hunting much easier :yep:
I had great results with Purple Maroc, pretty plant but still had little mold though, Frisian is ok, reliable same as Purple Maroc, but there is much better out there, Durban is just a classic, always nice when grown well, never tried HSO Blue Dream, Fast Diesel have only heard very good things about them, not tried them though, although i'd like too.

If you are searching for 100% mold free, i have to say i think it's just touch and go each year, each year is different with different strains at different lattitudes and even at different plots by same grower sometimes, 100% mold free in my opinion is not guaranteed, but plenty of strains are certainly damn good at resisting mold, just gotta take ya chances each year!! 

Good luck deciding for next year!!

:yinyang::bong::yinyang:

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Tempted to swap the Frisian Dew for the Purple Maroc now after also seeing the ~40 page appreciation thread for it! (if anyone is interested: http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/306458-the-purple-maroc-appreciation-thread/&page=20)

You mention that there is much better out there than Frisian Dew, do you mean Purple Maroc is one of these better options, or are there even more solid and proven choices out there? Just wondering what they might be :D

Edited by robin_hood_guerilla
1 person likes this

13 hours ago, robin_hood_guerilla said:

New virgin grower here (  except for a grow in 2014 that was ripped in the first week (I got seen, schoolboy error)  ).

In advance apologies for a repetitive type of thread that is seen very often, stop reading now if you're bored of strain advice! Thing is I have done a lot of reading and I suffering from information overload on guerrilla strains.:smokin:

Looking at the main strain sticky its hard to take in all the information and my months of research around 2013 seem to be a becoming potentially out-of-date with the evolving trends of what people here are growing and new strains being created by breeders.

From what I have read:

Full season:

Passion #1

Purple Maroc

Lots of other strains!

Semi -auto:

RGSC Fast Diesel

RGSC DFG

Auto:

Apparently these strains are getting better to grow than before. Good for stealth and avoiding mould. Sometimes not good smoke and low yields depending on strain. Some mould up easily.

In 2014 I attempted to grow Onyx and Mi5 from Short Stuff, at least they germinated well.

----

Just wondering how I can try and narrow down the right strains to buy seeds for? Maybe one of each of Photo, Semi-auto, auto -- as I cant spend too much on seeds and I don't want too many plants, and multiple harvest times should help avoid loosing everything to mould come the heavy rains.

My priorities are:

• Reliability & Mould tolerance - I wont have a lot of plants and I am in a rainy part of the UK (54 lat, west of England). I need to have reliability as I think many plants could be lost to rippers and mould so the few survivors need to survive!
  • Potency: this doesn't need to be very high as I am a low tolerance very occasional toker, but I don't want dud weed that cant get me a good high.
  • Yield, this doesn't need to be high either, as long as its more than only one spliff! I'd like a minimum of 2oz from my 2020 attempt.
  • ^the above two points could raise my chances of meeting my goals a lot! Many growers here seem to get massive hauls to smoke daily till the next season and more, but ive also seen disappointing grows too, i.e lost to mould or rippers.

• Durban poison x 3
  • Frisian Dew x 3
  • RGSC Fast Deisel x 3

Can I do better?

I'm also a bit conflicted on the RGSC Fast Diesel, as they look like huge yielding plants and are well hyped up here but seem to be susceptible to bud rot.

Tbh i'd stay away from the Dutch Passion stuff for outdoors, theres better stuff out there now. Stick to mostly RGSC genetics and you should be good. Look at their DFG strain, its got durban bred in to it with some other stuff, supposed to be pretty bomb proof. Plus it has the benefit of actually being bred for the UK climate and not Dutch. Serious 6 is an extremely hardy strain these days too, heard nothing but good things about it on here.

Personally i've had my best results with Hybrids from Hell. Their Danish Gold has always finished for me when other strains have not and the smoke always gets a lot of compliments! Only downside is none of their strains are feminized. But they're extremely hardy against mould!

Autos have always been a balls for me outdoors, any bit of rain during the summer and they mold up. Stick to semi-autos and photoperiods in my opinion! im sure others on here also have autos that work for them outdoors as well.

Edited by yabbah
1 person likes this

Hi mate,

its been a while since I posted on here. After many years growing outdoors (SE England) I thought I would check what kind of strains people are doing as I haven't grown outdoors for 2 seasons now but will be again next year. it seems the answer is roughly the same strains, which is understandable as these genetics are proven and tested.

I think you have made good choices. I have grown Durban Poison many times and have always been very satisfied but the near pure sativa high is not my cup of tea. My opinion would be stay away from Purple Maroc unless anything has changed. Years ago the genetics were solid and potent but as it grew in popularity I think it substantially affected genetic quality. Frisian is an absolute waste of time in my opinion, about as potent as flea bite. Bud is aesthetically pleasing though.

Bar far my most successful performer outdoors would be Serious 6, again not so keen on the sativa high but quality and bag appeal is fantastic. Grew 6 of them, all identical and high performing. Serious Kush came trough as well and produced some lovely kushy smoke.

I almost exclusively grew Mephisto Genetics outdoor but mould was a big problem. Bud was superb though, far, far beyond junk like Auto Frisian. etc..

I used to do Hybrids from Hell as well but too much genetic diversity for smaller grows I used to think.

As people have stated before you will undoubtedly encounter mould. 100%. you cannot completely avoid it but I think you've chosen good genetics.

Some I would recommend:

Serious 6 (Serious Seeds)

Kali China (ACE)

PCK (ACE)

Creme Caramel FV (Sweet Seeds)

Good luck mate.

1 person likes this

Thanks for getting back.

From what people say Serious 6 is very mould resistant which is good.

What are the main proven contenders for a relaxing Indica type of high ? I have heard the name Cream Caramel a few times and according to seed-banks its a Indica dominant.

1 person likes this

durban poison, serious 6, red purps, green gold and I think you won't do bad, blue dream auto is great

1 person likes this

Go safe a pick a few Dinafem strains, Seedsman stuff is safe too...just my experience mind

23 hours ago, robin_hood_guerilla said:

From what I have read:

Full season:

Passion #1

Purple Maroc

Lots of other strains!

Semi -auto:

RGSC Fast Diesel

RGSC DFG

Auto:

----

My priorities are:

• Durban poison x 3
  • Frisian Dew x 3
  • RGSC Fast Deisel x 3

Can I do better?

Get the RGS DFG mate and dont look back, All plants are good but some are exceptional.:yep:

large.user462206_pic1976711_1569436978.jpglarge.user462206_pic1974928_1568658399.jpglarge.user462206_pic1975236_1568822777.jpglarge.user462206_pic1965863_1565216288.jpglarge.user462206_pic1783755_1505856235.jpglarge.large.5bc4e348a6bbe_super61.jpg.6ccd271c54cff8910595daf7d372c45c.jpglarge.P1030720.JPG

3 people like this

What's your stand out plant of the year @Ch@ppers ? Which of those lovely ladies tickles your fancy 

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

What's your stand out plant of the year @Ch@ppers ? Which of those lovely ladies tickles your fancy 

I like DFG for certain reasons. 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Ch@ppers said:

I like DFG for certain reasons. 

What's the stone like on the DFG? What about other contenders like Fast Diesel, GG etc?

Looking for a more Indica type stone if possible so I have something for night.

Also what are the most outdoors-reliable autoflowers on RGSC? Yield isn't a big factor. Just reliable and quality.

Going to hedge my bets with an early auto crop.

*Thanks again for the replys everyone

Edited by robin_hood_guerilla
2 people like this