Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bigbob88

O2 grow emitter

Hi,

Has anybody tried the O2 grow emitter? A bit more expensive but looks to oxygenate much more.

Anyone had any results using this device?

Had to Google it but now I want a few of these things for my dwc they look really good.

1 person likes this

if they worked, everyone would have one- don't believe the hype.

airstones work on the principle of surface disruption creating air exchange.

if you think about it the air bubble travelling through the water isn't adding any oxygen to the water is it? the oxygen inside the bubble is still inside the bubble till it breaks the surface. its causing surface tension break on exiting the water creating air exchange

these should be placed alongside torus ph balancers in the "god loves a trier" bin

Edited by badbillybob
6 people like this

Cheers pal 

29 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

because the air from the bubble is still inside the bubbleif they worked, everyone would have one- don't believe the hype.

airstones work on the principle of surface disruption creating air exchange.

if you think about it the air bubble travelling through the water isn't adding any oxygen to the water is it? the oxygen inside the bubble is still inside the bubble till it breaks the surface. its causing surface tension break on exiting the water creating air exchange

these should be placed alongside torus ph balancers in the "god loves a trier" bin

I thought the oxygen in the bubble hitting against the root would be why airstones are successful, the emitter has many more across the entire pot so would be more oxygen to the roots?

3 minutes ago, Bigbob88 said:

I thought the oxygen in the bubble hitting against the root would be why airstones are successful, the emitter has many more across the entire pot so would be more oxygen to the roots?

It's as @badbillybob says bud, an even more efficient method is called 'fluming'...

a small pump on the bottom of the res pointing up creating a 'bulge' (not a fountain) on the surface, exposing more area to the air, this is how it's oxygenated...

4 people like this

I guess you must be right, can't find any actual reviews online. If they were that good everyone would want one.

Makes me want to research why bubbles actually work. The oxygen just travels up the water and out the top so how does it oxygenate the bubbles using a regular airstone?

@Bigbob88 the bubbles are not where the oxygen is coming from. It is the effect the bubbles have on disrupting the water that oxygenated it. You can as @stu914 said, just have a water pump circulating the water, if you have it is such a way that it's flow makes the surface move then this will oxygenated the water as well as an airstone 

3 people like this

49 minutes ago, stu914 said:

It's as @badbillybob says bud, an even more efficient method is called 'fluming'...

a small pump on the bottom of the res pointing up creating a 'bulge' (not a fountain) on the surface, exposing more area to the air, this is how it's oxygenated...

Or the same action used in ACT Brewing or look for vortex brewer

eta

Turbo-Vortex Compost Tea Brewer

Edited by Jimboo
2 people like this

This is my reservoir set up, I use a big power head circulator at the bottom of my reservoir to keep everything moving around nicely.

large.5ac7f88991597_Reservoirtanka.jpg

large.5ac7f89b813af_Reservoirtankb.jpg

large.5ac7f8d86a586_Reservoirtankjacuzzib.jpg

Hope this helps :) .

2 people like this

So do you think aiming the airstone diagonally, so the water swirls in the bucket would have benefits?

On 30/10/2019 at 0:12 PM, Bigbob88 said:

I guess you must be right, can't find any actual reviews online. If they were that good everyone would want one.

Makes me want to research why bubbles actually work. The oxygen just travels up the water and out the top so how does it oxygenate the bubbles using a regular airstone?

Surface agitation.  

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, Bigbob88 said:

So do you think aiming the airstone diagonally, so the water swirls in the bucket would have benefits?

You can aim the air stone how you like but them bubbles are only going one direction.  And that's up.

Venturis are also effective but very loud.

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

You can aim the air stone how you like but them bubbles are only going one direction.  And that's up.

Venturis are also effective but very loud.

lol good point, what an idiot I am sometimes...