Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
greyarea

Switching form MH-HPS

hiho fellow gardeners,

after years of growing under 400w MH-HPS in my 1x1x2 m tent, i'd like to upgrade my light set up in order to get that extra sexy yield i need.

Heritage on HID bulbs being best for flower pushed me to insta think getting a more powerfull bulb would achieve my goal in a easy-peasy way, but Being  heat the enemy #1 and realising i should change more than a bulb in order to keep the environment good (xpecially in summer) forced me to do some more in dept analisys so i came across a lot of new infos about lighting sources i didn't get back in the years and started looking at new technologies. 

So i went thorugh:

1.  bigger HPS + vented hood
  2. bigger HPS + vented hood + ac
  3.  CMHs
  4.  LEDs
  5. Qboards.

Whilst been strongly fascinated by CMHs , switching to a single fixture i understd i'm just replacing my 400w with a little less power consuming lamp with a much better spectrum but more or less same flowering power. Moving to 2 CMHs however pops up like putting me back to heat issue management and reassebling the groom with several money involved.

This led me to quantum boards which also get my attention deeply.

Now, considering the initial costs, i'm asking myself (but more likely to you) if a qb like the HLG 550w (took just for reference) is oversized or not.

I undestand recomendations point to a 260W as sufficient, but taking into consideration that very low heat is emitted i was wondering why not go even bigger with a single 550w fixture ( or two 260w). 

thanks in advance for any clarification

1 person likes this

Have a look at some of the led grows on here, they're smashing everything else both on quality and yield, lower leccy bills as well..

Check @diyleduk site sponsor for the best deals...:yep:

3 people like this

You can pick up 630watt DE cmh units now for under £200..good stuff 

Maybe a 315w CMH plus a couple of red LED strips - a 4000k bulb for the vegging and add the strips when flowering. 

1 person likes this

DE CMH lamps have a short life span compared to ordinary CMH lamps, so are probably best avoided, I'd recommend either CMH or Leds as a good replacement over HPS.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Joint hogger said:

DE CMH lamps have a short life span compared to ordinary CMH lamps, so are probably best avoided, I'd recommend either CMH or Leds as a good replacement over HPS.

I did actually wonder why the 315 I was looking at was only £25 less lol. 

Posted (edited)

if you do decide to go with a 315w CMH set up with a two lamp set up, its cheaper in the long run if you get a kit which includes a 930 Agro flowering lamp & get a 942 vegging elsewhere.

Edited by Joint hogger
1 person likes this

At the moment im just thinking of adding a 315cmh in my 4x4 alongside 600watt hps. Not sure if my current fan/filter would still be able to cut it though so no rush.

if I was spending on lighting now its clearly leds that are best, high umols and less heat cheaper to run and better spectrum

if your spending on led see diyleduk hes your man for best advice 

1 person likes this

I thought cmh had the most beneficial spectrum for your plants?

As somone who's been using CMH for a few years now, I can honestly say the end product thats grown with CMH is superior in strength/potency compared to HPS grown gear,

this is down to the better spectral wave output with CMH. But there is one thing thats better with HPS than CMH is the lights penetration density. As for Leds, I cant really comment

about them as I've never tried them But going by what I've read over the years, theyre getting better.

as for what lighting standard grows better, Oldtimer says the sun grown stuff is the best followed by CMH followed by Led & HPS as last.

1 person likes this

Sorry to hijack but would I get away with adding a 315cmh to my current setup without adding a bigger fan you think? Iv got a 4x4 tent currently 600watt hps and my fan can shift 800m3/h before adding filter. I don't mind upgrading to an 8" I have headroom to spare but can only get 1 light or bigger fan at a time with a few weeks in between or the misses will murder me in my sleep lol. 

My environment is very easy to maintain as it is now I can leave it alone for maybe a week if I had to no dramas. But of course new light will change things. Thanks 

Seeing as were coming into winter, get the CMH  :yep: that gives you time to come up with an excuse come spring time  lol

1 person likes this

Haha that was my thinking on it cheers mate il go for it.

15 hours ago, stu914 said:

Have a look at some of the led grows on here, they're smashing everything else both on quality and yield, lower leccy bills as well..

Check @diyleduk site sponsor for the best deals...:yep:

14 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Maybe a 315w CMH plus a couple of red LED strips - a 4000k bulb for the vegging and add the strips when flowering. 

really thanks on this i'll be thinking on more :D

12 hours ago, The Budmeister said:

if I was spending on lighting now its clearly leds that are best, high umols and less heat cheaper to run and better spectrum

if your spending on led see diyleduk hes your man for best advice 

cheers for that guys. 

Yes... TBH i've already put @diyleduk in my favs  since winking at qb (those lights seems working good being out of stock ever since). Got there by lurking on led growreports here which really pleased me.

i've have to admint i also had some thoughts on pairing LEDs (b4 discovering QBs) with my actual HPS, but didnt take into consideration the chance to couple a 315w CMH with some red strips to enhance flowering. This could be a viable option that really warms me, even if i'll end up spending a little less likely as on QB (at least here oversea). Anyhow, ideally getting rid of the heat with QBs sounds amazing to me (giving me the chanche to grow even in summer w/o inolving AC). In the medium/long run maybe the best option that payoff itslef.

i'll investigate more in the meanwhile of understanding if that 550w could be a kick ass option for 1m^2 or just a waste ;)

2 people like this