Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

jw14660

What is this pest?

Put my plants outside for half an hour and then brought them back inside.  I have just noticed 5 or 6 tiny black spiders crawling around on the soil.  They're probably a mm across, just a bit smaller than a black ant.  It has been magnified x100. Any help?

large.2019-09-17-212955.png

Im hoping it's just a baby spider, but could be spider mite? It's the right season, the right size and the right leg count?:(

You've certainly learnt not to put indoor plants outside for the day:)

1 person likes this

Just harmless spiders.  Not RSM (which are arachnids "spiders" as well, so have 8 legs but they are more tick-like in appearance - have a quick Google and you'll see the difference). 

2 people like this

looks like an infant wood louse eating spider, wont do your plants anyharm:yep:

bit of a newb question, but why do people keep putting their plants outside for a bit? is there any benefit to doing so other than saving a couple of shillings worth of leccy?

ARRGHHH!!! .....GET THAT FUCKIN' SPIDER AWAY FROM ME...MRS 2 FAT.....MRS 2 FAT!!..... GET THAT BASTARD SPIDER WHILE I BRAVELY RUN AWAY.........phew that was close but yeah it's a spider nothing troubling and if its left alone on your plant it may even eat some bad bugs if they wander in but I'd put it at least 10 miles away from me and have a long sit down in safety.

Did you guess I'm less than keen on spiders? 

2 people like this

54 minutes ago, ison said:

bit of a newb question, but why do people keep putting their plants outside for a bit? is there any benefit to doing so other than saving a couple of shillings worth of leccy?

Had someone coming round to check a leaky pipe.  My garden is discrete.  Also, though I'm still relatively inexperienced with growing, I have an expensive setup indoors.. but the spectrum and intensity of sunlight outdoors is almost impossible to beat.

Edited by jw14660
3 people like this

12 hours ago, Kinetikal said:

Im hoping it's just a baby spider, but could be spider mite? It's the right season, the right size and the right leg count?:(

I don't think it looks anything like a red spider mite tbh which I'm thankful for!  Even if it were I've got loads of spinosad and can get some predators

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Socksnsandals said:

Just harmless spiders.  Not RSM (which are arachnids "spiders" as well, so have 8 legs but they are more tick-like in appearance - have a quick Google and you'll see the difference). 

I think they're baby black lace weaver spiders.  Not too concerned really as they'll run out of stuff to eat in my kitchen where the plants are.. and I've got loads of peppermint spray which I've heard they arent too fond of!! :skull:

5 hours ago, monkeypig said:

You've certainly learnt not to put indoor plants outside for the day:)

Yes.. noob mistake..  but it's my first grow and all of my 13 plants are flowering.. though it's been a massive struggle!  Next time I have to do that I'll put them in my shed after fumigating/smoking the entire thing to get rid of all the critters

Edited by jw14660

13 minutes ago, jw14660 said:

Had someone coming round to check a leaky pipe.  My garden is discrete.

ah right... i was wondering if it was some old bit of growing "folk wisdom" - been reading some weird stuff lately like folk putting coca-cola into their feeds to do something or other.

1 person likes this

I was told a couple of years ago if you put conkers on a window sill it will stop spiders coming in the house, never heard this before but I think it works.

1 person likes this

I got loads of them living in my growshed! They're no problem apart from clearing webs away now and again. They don't crawl over the plants as far as I can tell.

@hash72 I've heard that one too!

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, hash72 said:

I was told a couple of years ago if you put conkers on a window sill it will stop spiders coming in the house, never heard this before but I think it works.

I was using peppermint oil last year, which does seem to work but also wears off quicker. I'm going to try this conkers thing out, thanks for the tip :)