Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Top Shotta

Tent Flap Light Leak FRUSTRATION!

This question has been asked over and over again by many people and I am sure most people are sick of reading this but this issue is driving me crazy and I can't find a solution.

I may close these up completely and feed a length of ducting through the inlet socks at the bottom of tent with a few bends in the ducting and black tights over each end.

My question was if I do this what size of ducting would be good enough for the right amount of negative pressure ( I don't want to use an intake fan )
My tent is 75x75x160 Budboxpro
I have a 4" Mixed Flow RAM inline fan 160/200 m3/hr

Or if anyone has a link to an item like cooker hood filters or aquarium foam that would work and fit that I can buy
(I have attempted to make a cardboard baffle which took me hours before I realised the box was not big enough height wise to cover the mesh over the passive intakes on the tent (flaps on the outside)
And now I have no more big boxs :D 

So I am really not sure what to do, drop me a private message if you have any links to suitable equipment that can fix my problem as you can't post links on this website

Any pictures of your lightproofing methods would be greatly appreciated also! If you use a baffle/cooker hood filter over your intakes could you please show a picture that could help me ? 
Thanks a lot!

Edited by Top Shotta

I heard of one guy who placed a piece of carbon filter over it.  He said it cut about 90% of the light out.  Personally, I just think that would reduce the effectiveness of the vent.  I once used a cardboard box, cut a vent-sized flap in one end and kept the other side open but under lots of towels and blankets and shit to keep it dark but as not to restrict any airflow.  Where the box sits next to the tent you can cover the gaps with all sorts of fabrics/towels/throws etc.  It's not something you really need to spend money on IMO.

Yea, by carbon filter I meant the flat rectangular ones you might fit into a dehumidifier.

Edited by JJJ

3 layers. and some strong tape.

Scamazon has it cheap.

large_111.jpg

2 people like this

@diyleduk Thanks man, any chance you could send me a pm with the ones you used? I don't want to get the wrong thickness or brand ? Are these cooker hood filters? 
PS. Love the light its incredible

if your handy with a needle & thread then you could always sew some black cooker filter material over your passive vents.

I think gorilla tape or velcro will be a better idea :D I can't even cut a cardboard box

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Top Shotta said:

I may close these up completely and feed a length of ducting through the inlet socks at the bottom of tent with a few bends in the ducting and black tights over each end.

This. You don't even need to have a few bends or tights, though I understand this will stop bugs getting in your tent. I have a length of ducting from the bottom inlet around 6ft. I get no light leeks at all, get negative pressure and good airflow from the inlet.