Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Shortie

What am I doing wrong? germination

31 posts in this topic
1 minute ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

No soaking of seeds, they go in the mini prop/Tupperware tub with the lid just placed, whatever to keep them constant humidity. This then sits on top of my t5 on some 0.5l plant pots just to raise it off. 22'C or thereabouts. Only ambient light. They cam germ in the dark. 

I can do a proper tutorial post on it if ya want mate. I've taken some pics of the process 

Thank you I really appreciate it. That would be great to see the pics. I'm wondering how to keep mine warm and dark as I only have an 85 watt CFL or 250 to 600 watt dimmable HPS and I don't have an airing cupboard. I have a T5 but I can't find the lead for it. Could I buy any lead off ebay?

Looks like you have a few options but my suggestion is to soak the seeds in a shot glass of water for 24 - 48 hours and you should see them all crack open.. once cracked, transfer to the growing medium of choice.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Shortie said:

Thank you I really appreciate it. That would be great to see the pics. I'm wondering how to keep mine warm and dark as I only have an 85 watt CFL or 250 to 600 watt dimmable HPS and I don't have an airing cupboard. I have a T5 but I can't find the lead for it. Could I buy any lead off ebay?

i use a 600w that is running at 250w, i  use small pots, fill with coco, soak with light feed mix then put seeds a few mil down and cover, i then use a propagator that has a binbag taped over the lid to reduce the light intensity, spray inside the lid of the prop with water for humidity and just stick it in my tent, no probs so far.

if i use seeds that have been stored for a while, i soak them in a bit of warmish water for a few hours or until they sink and then dig em in.

For me and am useless at popping seeds/ taking clones. I follow the food bag method mentioned by a few on here now (cheers uk420 legends)  .hallelujah!!!. Gone from killing everything to almost 100% (almost). Done both  Root cubes or straight coco.

soak medium and squeeze out a bit so not dripping. Seeds / clones go straight into medium or cube , couple of sprays in food bag with plant magic veggy stuff  then close shut filled with air so bag puffs oota bit

under t5  in veg mode at at 22c and leave the things alone for at least a week (no peeking) . Opening the bags just gets rid of the environment.  Cheers and good luck. gonge ..

ps i got @Vicfirth12 animal stomper cloning at the moment and never seen something root so vigorously... these things are amazing...:skin_up:

1 person likes this

I use small pots, fill with batmix soil by H and G, water it well, then poke a hole, drop the seed, press the soil down slightly, water again, then place a bit of clingfilm over the top until I see the seedling emerge. People say the batmix is too hot for seeds and clones, I'd disagree. Been using it for two year, before that I would use other soils and have used home made rockwool cubes with great success. I use soil now but clones go into a small cube of R/W, mainly because it anchors them well AND you can see if the root area needs watering by eye.

I have always used a heated propagator to germinate and clone. Keep the temp down to 78.

As for seed storage, I put them in a dark cupboard, no fridges. I found a small box of seeds recently which are at least 8-10 yr old. Left in a place which gets hot and cold. Seeds are fine, out of 10, you will get 9 germ at least.

Bear in mind cannabis is a hardy plant. No need to treat them with kid gloves.

PS, I now root clones in plain water. Get a cup or small glass, fill it with tap water left for 24hr, put clones in and they will root like troopers within 2 weeks at room temps.

1 person likes this

Aye a dark cupboard is far better than a fridge for storing seeds lol:yep:

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, MyDisplayName2000 said:

As for seed storage, I put them in a dark cupboard, no fridges.

this is where i been going wrong then, my stash of seeds were kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 8 years and i've found some are not viable now. :doh:

2 people like this

24 minutes ago, Amnesia said:

this is where i been going wrong then, my stash of seeds were kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 8 years and i've found some are not viable now. :doh:

I read about palm date seeds, 2000 yr old, germinating.

Cannabis, most seem to give ten years as being viable, not known many to keep seeds for that long.

The seed companies must keep seedbanks of the various hybrids. Well, I guess I would if I owned a seed company.

There has to be techniques for keeping seeds for decades. Freezing might do it. Fridges keep things cool but everything you put in a fridge goes off eventually. I ate a tin of beans the other night stored for 2 weeks in a fridge. Had to dump them as they tasted a bit off.

The old seeds I found have not been graded yet, I recall pollinating Skunk 1, not personally, and those seeds got lost when I had the place rewired and boxed up everything. Stored in a cupboard that gets sunlight and goes down to maybe low 60s. Lid had fallen off but no seeds were lost.

1 person likes this

On 08/08/2019 at 2:40 PM, Shortie said:

I have a T5 but I can't find the lead for it. Could I buy any lead off ebay?

yep... a kettle lead. at least that's what fits my T5.

1 person likes this

I like the process of using tissue. It allows for you to easily prop up one end and allow any excess run off to leave the temporary media. I've found being tissue is so very thin, it really cant hold a lot of moisture.

I had one issue with Rockwell holding too much moisture due to just the pure increase in volume and decided to switch. Then never looked back.

There are many ways in which people find successful but I've always found the tissue way to work without any issues.

1 person likes this

@blackpoolbouncer I did what you said on Monday and today (Thursday) only one of them out of 8 has popped. Shall I be patient and wait for the others? How long before I just give up and chuck that seed? They're at 22 degrees with 70% humidity and I didn't soack the cubes this time. This is getting expensive at 5 quid a seed. That's 1 out of 16 this month :(

Patience @Shortie 

I bet over the next two days you will see something. 72 hours onwards is when I'd expect to start seeing them. Don't forget you've put unsoaked seeds in. Takes a day or two to crack, a day to push out a tap root and a day or two to get established and put out vertical action.

The fact one is up after 72 hours is a good sign.

3-5 days is normal from wetting a seed to sprouting 

Is this fresh seeds? 

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Patience @Shortie 

I bet over the next two days you will see something. 72 hours onwards is when I'd expect to start seeing them. Don't forget you've put unsoaked seeds in. Takes a day or two to crack, a day to push out a tap root and a day or two to get established and put out vertical action.

The fact one is up after 72 hours is a good sign.

3-5 days is normal from wetting a seed to sprouting 

Is this fresh seeds? 

Yes completely fresh batch

1 person likes this

@blackpoolbouncer still nothing from the others and the one that is up looks a bit crap. I think it's the seeds. it was a fresh pack but from the same place. I don't think they've been stored well. I had a look at the other seeds gently by separating the rootriot and they haven't even cracked open. 

I do it basically exactly the same as @blackpoolbouncer and get over 90% but you do get some bad batches of seeds. I'm sure some seedbanks store their seeds in a microwave or something. 

1 person likes this