Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mitchell68

Spidermite and Co² gassing

As we all do when looking for solutions came across an American forum which had a guy dose his plants in Co² at 10,000ppm for 1 hr and it killed all mites. He says the plant gets stunted for a day but otherwise no harm.

Has anyone tried this before ? 

1 person likes this

sounds expensive 

Yes ive done this on smallish plants inside a cardboard box, used acetic acid and bicarbonate of soda to make the co2.

2 people like this

An out of date fire extinguisher off eBay would provide the co2 needed to bring the required ppm .

I think if Co2 was as simple to buy in the UK as it is in other places, lots more folk would be using it. 

It's a good idea, and a clean way to kill bugs. 

So would a bucket of dry ice in a tent do the job - i realise hard to figure out the ppm

1 person likes this

Only just noticed this and I really like the idea.

On 03/08/2019 at 1:58 PM, Bartyfartblast said:

sounds expensive 

Not hugely,and could be done for free-ish pretty simply with @HippyHair 's excellent idea or sugar,yeast and water in a bottle.

On 18/08/2019 at 9:05 AM, highgrower said:

So would a bucket of dry ice in a tent do the job - i realise hard to figure out the ppm

I think that would work pretty well,10,000 ppm is basically 1% of the air volume in your tent,so as long as you go over that job should be a goodun.

On 18/08/2019 at 8:27 AM, Michael Luchóg said:

I think if Co2 was as simple to buy in the UK as it is in other places, lots more folk would be using it. 

It's a good idea, and a clean way to kill bugs. 

I hear you ,dry ice is much easier to buy elsewhere ,but any brew shop will sell you a refillable co2 bottle for around the same price as a bottle of Harkers.

Having just discovered the borg bastards on 4 plants of mine I'm keen to try this by releasing some  Co2 from a canister into a large plastic storage tub containing my plants and then topping up for an hour or so with bicarb and acid.I think I'll hit them  with Harkers afterwards too to make sure any eggs  get killed as well.

@mitchell68 thanks for the idea

:hippy:

Gumbo.

Edited by Gumbo
typo
3 people like this

@Gumbo as far as i am aware Harkers wont kill the eggs - thats why you have to spray twice about 4 days apart.  So if your doing the CO2 route just do it twice 4 days apart.

1 person likes this

Yes I think you may be right on that,thanks :yep:

Gumbo.

1 person likes this